Facebook photos without the hijab?

Discuss the Muslim Faith.
Mariposa Traicionera

Post by Mariposa Traicionera »

I just friended a former coworker on FB. She wears the hijab, but she has a few pictures on her profile where her head is uncovered. That surprised me. Should it?
spot

Post by spot »

It depends on the nature of the friends, surely. Covering the head in public is traditional in Islamic societies. I'd have thought selecting "show friends only" on Facebook was similar to the freedom of Muslim women to take the head covering off when nobody they're allowed (by Muslim law) to marry is present. I presume that so long as she has no Muslim male friends on facebook other than her close relatives then she's allowed.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Mariposa Traicionera

spot;1235914 wrote: It depends on the nature of the friends, surely. Covering the head in public is traditional in Islamic societies. I'd have thought selecting "show friends only" on Facebook was similar to the freedom of Muslim women to take the head covering off when nobody they're allowed (by Muslim law) to marry is present. I presume that so long as she has no Muslim male friends on facebook other than her close relatives then she's allowed.

But she does have male friends on there. That's why it struck me as odd. I have never even seen her hair IRL.:wah:
spot

Post by spot »

Mariposa Traicionera;1235955 wrote: But she does have male friends on there. That's why it struck me as odd. I have never even seen her hair IRL.:wah:

The question is whether any of them are Muslim. She's allowed to be seen without a head covering by non-Muslim males because she can't marry them.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Are you sure Spot? I ask because when i worked in the salons we had a girl in who held a big hoo ha about us having to lock the salon door and cover the window before we could cut her hair.
spot

Post by spot »

buttercup;1235962 wrote: Are you sure Spot? I ask because when i worked in the salons we had a girl in who held a big hoo ha about us having to lock the salon door and cover the window before we could cut her hair.

I'm sure there's an extremely wide range of cultural and even religious interpretations within Islamic societies, ranging from no covering at all to the sort of blackout that conscientious Air Raid Wardens insisted on during World War Two. I picked on an interpretation which feasibly matched the given facts. There are lots of others starting with she's not that bothered with strict etiquette, I know Muslims like that too.

I've been in Christian churches where some of the women in the congregation would rather leave than take their hat off and breach Saint Paul's injunction, and others where half the women are unaware the old misogynist ever mentioned covering their hair at all. Like I said, it's culturally determined.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

buttercup;1235962 wrote: Are you sure Spot? I ask because when i worked in the salons we had a girl in who held a big hoo ha about us having to lock the salon door and cover the window before we could cut her hair.

I'm surprised you didn't refuse, as locking the salon doors would have meant turning customers away.

I'm also surprised that she doesn't have to have her hair cut by an imam or suchlike.

When my son was born he was in intensive care for a couple of weeks. A muslim woman was also there and she used to insist on having a private room every time she wanted to feed her baby. The staff were overworked and overstressed and she constantly caused complications. Worst of all . . . she was a white englishwoman who'd married a muslim. So she knew exactly how much hardship and stress she was causing.

Funny story:

I used to live in Golders Green which is a strongly Jewish area.

I went to have a haircut and the hairdresser said it was nice to have someone to talk to whilst she did their hair.

Apparently all the Jewish women would just leave their wigs there to be cleaned and dressed and collect them later! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Mariposa Traicionera

Rapunzel;1235972 wrote: Worst of all . . . she was a white englishwoman who'd married a muslim. So she knew exactly how much hardship and stress she was causing.

Wait...what?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Why can't these muslim men who marry American's accept us for who we are instead of making the women wear these ridiculous robes from head to toe?:thinking:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

It's like converts everywhere (to any religion) - they are filled with holy zeal. And not yet over the honeymoon stage. The most in your face fully veiled ladies hereabouts once probably were your dull Miss Average who nobody much noticed before. Then she saw the light and found a way of becoming "special". Now when she's tripping over her concealed feet and can't see more than two inches dead in front of her, she's the centre of attention. If people are friendly and supportive - she wins. If people frown - she can enjoyl righteous victim indignation - and again she wins.

Most other muslim women round her just wear headscarves and behave like the rest of us.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

tweetatoo

Post by tweetatoo »

The rule of Islam is to cover her hair.

An explanation can be that she was not wearing Hijab before being facebook member. When she weared Hijab, she either forgot to remove the previous pics or thought it could be left there as they are pics!!

However, if she knows that their pics are still there without Hijab, the should be told to remove or delete these pics.

Hijab or robe is not ridiculous!! It is enough to prove that it is protective against skin cancer. This is one of many advantages of robe. I challenge that you bring me one disadvantage of Hijab or robe!!!

Recent studies proved that the incidence of NMSC (Non-Melanocytic Skin Carcinomas), a group of skin cancers have been increased in females after they started wearing over-knee clothes. And they are higher in females.

Can you ask yourself please: why should females cover themselves with Hijab or Robe?

NMSC are higher in females!!! Male who wears shorts rarely gets that cancer, but females with shorts more probably than males to get it!!!

Besides, it is commanded from the lord for the females to wear Hijab.
spot

Post by spot »

tweetatoo;1257451 wrote: Besides, it is commanded from the lord for the females to wear Hijab.That's interesting. What passage or passages are you referring to?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

[quote=tweetatoo;1257451]The rule of Islam is to cover her hair.

An explanation can be that she was not wearing Hijab before being facebook member. When she weared Hijab, she either forgot to remove the previous pics or thought it could be left there as they are pics!!

However, if she knows that their pics are still there without Hijab, the should be told to remove or delete these pics.

Hijab or robe is not ridiculous!! It is enough to prove that it is protective against skin cancer. This is one of many advantages of robe. I challenge that you bring me one disadvantage of Hijab or robe!!!

Recent studies proved that the incidence of NMSC (Non-Melanocytic Skin Carcinomas), a group of skin cancers have been increased in females after they started wearing over-knee clothes. And they are higher in females.

Can you ask yourself please: why should females cover themselves with Hijab or Robe?

They shouldn't....It's ridiculous:rolleyes:

Forget about the cancer......

Where is this commandment from the Lord that says women should wear a Hajab and men can wear shorts???????????
spot

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1258405 wrote: [quote=tweetatoo;1257451]Can you ask yourself please: why should females cover themselves with Hijab or Robe? They shouldn't....It's ridiculous:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]Kathy Ellen, there are few towns or occasions in America where any post-pubescent female could walk around with her breasts fully exposed and avoid subsequently appearing in court. There's absolutely no difference whatever, both are aspects of the local culture. Either both are ridiculous or neither are. The words you're looking for are "that's not how we do things here", not "it's ridiculous". Walking around like that was the cultural norm in Hawaii, for example, before it was absorbed into the American Empire and the natives were ordered to cover up or suffer the consequences.

If you'd like to make it a contest, contrast a group of Muslim women in Hijab or Robe with a bunch of American kids, trouser-crotched to the knee and advertising their favoured brand of underwear from fifty paces. I know which gets the vote for ridiculous from me, at least.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I am not going to get into semantics with you Spot.

There are a lot of people who dress in a 'ridiculous' way all over the world. Yes, there are a lot of American kids who dress ridiculous just as there are a lot of UK kids who dress ridiculous.

Ridiculous is my word for the Hajab, and I'm sticking to it.:wah:

Women shouldn't be forced to wear attire like this when men can walk freely in shorts, sandles and without a shirt. And yes, I do believe that they are forced to wear this attire, and it's man's rule to control their women.
spot

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1258424 wrote: Women shouldn't be forced to wear attire like this when men can walk freely in shorts, sandles and without a shirt. And yes, I do believe that they are forced to wear this attire, and it's man's rule to control their women.
So now address your own country's cultural blinkers as far as men and women appearing topless in town goes, please, especially since I brought it to your attention as a reasonable comparison. Women shouldn't be forced to wear attire like this when men can walk topless freely? Yes or no? If not, why not?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

spot;1258440 wrote: So now address your own country's cultural blinkers as far as men and women appearing topless in town goes, please, especially since I brought it to your attention as a reasonable comparison. Women shouldn't be forced to wear attire like this when men can walk topless freely? Yes or no? If not, why not?

You're on my ignore now. Your hatred of Americans and my country sicken me:rolleyes:
spot

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1258444 wrote: You're on my ignore now. Your hatred of Americans and my country sicken me:rolleyes:

What you're actually hearing is logic. You have a culturally relative question and you treat it as absolute. T-shirt good, Hijab bad. It's an Orwellian slogan. The bit about blinkers is that you simply can't bring yourself to recognize that neither system is intrinsically better or worse than the other just because you happen to live inside it.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1258447 wrote: What you're actually hearing is logic. You have a culturally relative question and you treat it as absolute. T-shirt good, Hijab bad. It's an Orwellian slogan. The bit about blinkers is that you simply can't bring yourself to recognize that neither system is intrinsically better or worse than the other just because you happen to live inside it.

I think KE is ignoring you Mr. Spot !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1258453 wrote: I think KE is ignoring you Mr. Spot !

That's entirely her prerogative. If she or anyone else thinks that insisting I'm anti-American gets them off the hook of actually looking at themselves personally or collectively then they're deluded but I can scarcely insist. I have grave issues with American foreign policy but that has nothing to do with liking or disliking either Americans themselves or their culture.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

tweetatoo;1257451 wrote: The rule of Islam is to cover her hair.

NMSC are higher in females!!! Male who wears shorts rarely gets that cancer, but females with shorts more probably than males to get it!!!

Besides, it is commanded from the lord for the females to wear Hijab.
The lord says that folks who try to use the lord to guide anyone other then themselves, should be placed out on an island and not allowed to breed.

Attached files
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I'm going to be in trouble for this. Probably be called both anti-American and anti-Islam in the same breath...

But it IS interesting that both Muslims and Americans react in the same way to ANY perceived criticism. Both assume that the criticiser MUST hate EVERYTHING abut Islam and/or America.

There are things I like and admire about America and Americans - many of them. There are other things I don't much care for. It doesn't mean I hate America, any more than an American noting that the British are not completely perfect in every respect means I think Americans hate the British. (NB they are, of course, wrong in their opinion but that's a different issue :sneaky:)

And regarding Islam, I popped into a Muslim centre after 9/11 to say to the local Muslims that not everyone thought they were complete nutters. Scared the heck out of them:o, (I'd just had a skinhead haircut and was wearing my flag of St George jersey...) but I'm still glad I took the trouble to say it.

The fact that my opinions of George Bush and Osama the Bin man vary between disgust and contempt does not make me against America or Islam.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Clodhopper;1258478 wrote:

The fact that my opinions of George Bush and Osama the Bin man vary between disgust and contempt does not make me against America or Islam.

I know that you and 98% of UK'ers here don't hate Americans Clod. But, some members do, unfortunately.
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

Rapunzel;1235972 wrote: I'm surprised you didn't refuse, as locking the salon doors would have meant turning customers away.

Would have broken safety regulations as well!

Well regulations made prevalent within the realms of rational forethought!!!!!!!!!!!:yh_silly!!!!!!!!
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

tweetatoo;1257451 wrote: The rule of Islam is to cover her hair.

However, if she knows that their pics are still there without Hijab, the should be told to remove or delete these pics. What if the pictures of her not wearing the hijab are of her at roughly 12 years old? 8 years old? Surely you wouldn't suggest that she's forced to keep her childhood forever discarded by virtue of photos!

tweetatoo;1257451 wrote:

Hijab or robe is not ridiculous!! It is enough to prove that it is protective against skin cancer. This is one of many advantages of robe. I challenge that you bring me one disadvantage of Hijab or robe!!! Hijab is ridiculous to me! I wouldn't wear one!

But none the less I'd never expect a woman to have to where robes in any weather above 75 degrees F, respectively! Is there a large percentage of heat exhaustion in Islamic countries compared to other regions of God's Earth with the same temperatures? Obviously my question is concerning women!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

In all honesty...... this religion, Islam, scares me because I feel that I cannot have an honest and open discussion with any Muslim here in FG.I don't understand your way of life and have questions that are never answered.

I've tried so often to ask for some Muslim members to just 'talk to me' without quotes to their holy books, and they will not do that.

I'm looking forward to the day when someone who is Muslim will be open enough to talk to me without quoting a holy book, and just answer the damn questions that I have.....

HELLO OUT THERE IN CYBERLAND....Is there any Muslim who will answer my questions without quoting your holy book?

In all honesty, I want to know more about you and your culture.

All of my life, I've read Kahlil Gibran and agreed with his thoughts...But, I don't see his thoughts in some members here...
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

I think they look cute in them to be honest.

But then again...
spot

Post by spot »

Kathy Ellen;1258675 wrote:

HELLO OUT THERE IN CYBERLAND....Is there any Muslim who will answer my questions without quoting your holy book?

In all honesty, I want to know more about you and your culture.

All of my life, I've read Kahlil Gibran and agreed with his thoughts...But, I don't see his thoughts in some members here... Maybe that's because Khalil Gibran was a Christian.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

KSnyder;1258677 wrote: I think they look cute in them to be honest.

But then again...

Not funny Kev:-6:confused:

Seriously, I am honestly trying to understand this Islamic Religion, and all I get is quotes from religious books and nonsense.

I just want to know why man rules in your religion and women are treated like 2nd class citizens?

I believe that you should love and value your women and give them the freedom that they are entitled to.....I know...that will never happen...That make me so sad.
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

Kathy Ellen;1258684 wrote: Not funny Kev:-6:confused:

Seriously, I am honestly trying to understand this Islamic Religion, and all I get is quotes from religious books and nonsense.

I just want to know why man rules in your religion and women are treated like 2nd class citizens?

I believe that you should love and value your women and give them the freedom that they are entitled to.....I know...that will never happen...That make me so sad.

Me post was just about the hijab and not aimed toward your post if you're wondering that.

But I agree with this!!!...

Kathy Ellen;1258684 wrote: I believe that you should love and value your women and give them the freedom that they are entitled to.....

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

KSnyder;1258685 wrote: Me post was just about the hijab and not aimed toward your post if you're wondering that.

But I agree with this!!!...

Oh, I know that K:-6

I'm just so frustrated with misunderstandings...
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

KSnyder;1258677 wrote: I think they look cute in them to be honest.

But then again...

Cute? From what I've heard these women go to the beach & then go swimming with that hijab thing on & of course have to be rescued by the lifeguards (most of whom are males)..wonder what their hubs think? Can't imagine the amount of sand in those outfits...plus the weather on the East coast in July/August is hot, disgustingly humid & otherwise not fun to be in especially if your forced to wear the hijab. Also, on the boardwalk loads of young kids are walking around in tee shirts/tank tops & short shorts...the muslims give us dirty looks...yeah, well, tough...your in our country so shove it.:wah:
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

qsducks;1258690 wrote: Cute? From what I've heard these women go to the beach & then go swimming with that hijab thing on & of course have to be rescued by the lifeguards (most of whom are males)..wonder what their hubs think? Can't imagine the amount of sand in those outfits...plus the weather on the East coast in July/August is hot, disgustingly humid & otherwise not fun to be in especially if your forced to wear the hijab. Also, on the boardwalk loads of young kids are walking around in tee shirts/tank tops & short shorts...the muslims give us dirty looks...yeah, well, tough...your in our country so shove it.:wah:

Oh dear!

:thinking: I believe I were talking about herds of raging buffalo 100,000 strong earlier.

Ah yes!

There they are now...:yh_neutra

:yh_winks!!!!!!!!

:yh_kisses!!!!!!!!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

KSnyder;1258691 wrote: Oh dear!

:thinking: I believe I were talking about herds of raging buffalo 100,000 strong earlier.

Ah yes!

There they are now...:yh_neutra

:yh_winks!!!!!!!!

:yh_kisses!!!!!!!!

Oh sorry Kev...just gets my goat sometimes when they treat us like 2nd class citizens & we are born here in the US...the dirty looks, etc. and the chit chat they do in their native tongue while staring at us...my daughter gets it all the time...she usually flips them the bird:yh_rotfl
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

qsducks;1258693 wrote: Oh sorry Kev...just gets my goat sometimes when they treat us like 2nd class citizens & we are born here in the US...the dirty looks, etc. and the chit chat they do in their native tongue while staring at us...my daughter gets it all the time...she usually flips them the bird:yh_rotfl

Oh dear!

:yh_nailbi

:yh_winks!!!!!!

:yh_kisses!!!!!!!!!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

KSnyder;1258694 wrote: Oh dear!

:yh_nailbi

:yh_winks!!!!!!

:yh_kisses!!!!!!!!!

You can take the girl outta of Philly but not the Philly outta the girl:wah:...
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

qsducks;1258695 wrote: You can take the girl outta of Philly but not the Philly outta the girl:wah:...

:wah:
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

We live in a mixed neighborhood but the peeps who are muslims are really ignorant to all of us...we have a family on our street, they never come outside to talk, etc. & if they do come outta the house at all, they give dirty looks to my daughters who are typical teenage girls who dress in short shorts & tank tops & mind their own business...one daughter just flips them the bird & laughs
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

qsducks;1258697 wrote: We live in a mixed neighborhood but the peeps who are muslims are really ignorant to all of us...we have a family on our street, they never come outside to talk, etc. & if they do come outta the house at all, they give dirty looks to my daughters who are typical teenage girls who dress in short shorts & tank tops & mind their own business...one daughter just flips them the bird & laughs

I'mma go :thinking:ahead and reference posts #34 and #35 on this one! :wah:

:yh_winks!!!!!!!

:yh_kisses!!!!!!!

Maybe they're not dirty looks it's just how they observe?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

KSnyder;1258698 wrote: I'mma go :thinking:ahead and reference posts #34 and #35 on this one! :wah:

:yh_winks!!!!!!!

:yh_kisses!!!!!!!

Maybe they're not dirty looks it's just how they observe?

That & they have made comments to my daughter's...who laugh them off. If they have a problem with what my kids are wearing they should say something to me:wah:, but they don't...also we have the Jevoha's witnesses who come twice a year...now that is fun to play with them:wah:...I tell them I practice Wicca:yh_rotfl
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

qsducks;1258699 wrote: That & they have made comments to my daughter's...who laugh them off. If they have a problem with what my kids are wearing they should say something to me:wah:, but they don't...also we have the Jevoha's witnesses who come twice a year...now that is fun to play with them:wah:...I tell them I practice Wicca:yh_rotfl

I just ask them (cos mostly they seem to be pushing a toddler in a pushchair) - "Where did your baby get it's blood from?........... from the mother of course ! A form of blood transfusion ?" This confuses them, and they go away ! :rolleyes:
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1258784 wrote:

I just ask them (cos mostly they seem to be pushing a toddler in a pushchair) - "Where did your baby get it's blood from?........... from the mother of course ! A form of blood transfusion ?" This confuses them, and they go away ! :rolleyes:

Umm... fœtal blood develops entirely within the fœtus, surely. They get ill if there's any blood leakage across the placental barrier.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Well, I have to say that I have never said hi to a person in robes or with hair covering that did not smile and return the greeting, with the exception of a nun or two along the road..:thinking:

I've sat inside my house and ignored the 7th day adventists just as I ignore anyone that shows up unannounced.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Kathy Ellen;1258688 wrote: Oh, I know that K:-6

I'm just so frustrated with misunderstandings...

As you know Kathy, I have Muslim female friends. They are so happy to be in England where they have the freedom to wear what they like. They still have to show respect, they would not expose any leg or clevage but to be able to ditch the traditional robes is a huge relief to them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

oscar;1258803 wrote: As you know Kathy, I have Muslim female friends. They are so happy to be in England where they have the freedom to wear what they like. They still have to show respect, they would not expose any leg or clevage but to be able to ditch the traditional robes is a huge relief to them.

And yet right now there are women in Egypt fighting for the right to keep wearing something that is a religious symbol to them. Telling the woman how she must dress - either way- is out of order.

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I recently had the funny pleasure of the Mormon's showing up & told them I'm not interested but a dude in my house is...he was sitting in the window soaking up the warmth of sunshine...my cat...they soon left & left me laughing:wah::wah:
KSnyder

Post by KSnyder »

I don't mind speaking with anyone that shows up at my door(I couldn't necessarily say that for sure if they dropped in quite frequently more than the once every two months or so!) I just speak with them pertaining to logic and it ends in my point getting across to them that I've already contemplated death and they shan't worry!
mama_muslimah

Post by mama_muslimah »

qsducks;1258697 wrote: We live in a mixed neighborhood but the peeps who are muslims are really ignorant to all of us...we have a family on our street, they never come outside to talk, etc. & if they do come outta the house at all, they give dirty looks to my daughters who are typical teenage girls who dress in short shorts & tank tops & mind their own business...one daughter just flips them the bird & laughs

Honestly, most of the Muslims in Philadelphia are NOI (I live in Philadelphia). They aren't "real" Muslims, to the rest of us. Just like the extremist terrorists arent REAL Muslims.. Sure they saythey are doing things in the name of Islam (which, fyi, means PEACE in Arabic), and Allah, but seriously, Islam teaches peace, if people take it in the context it was meant to be taken it. I mean, there are plenty of people who kill in the name of God all the time, but does that make them EXTREMIST CHRISTIANS? No.

There are also a lot of what I'd call overnight Muslims in Philadelphia as well.. Those that eat pork, are tatted up, drink, smoke, etc.. Then come Ramadan they are devout Muslims. It's kinda ridiculous.

Islam teaches you not to judge.. but.. yeah.. so does Christianity.

But back to the topic at hand. I have pictures of myself before reverting up on my facebook. I've had my facebook since before I reverted, and most of my pictures are me with my kids. So, yeah.. why would I take them done?

I cover my hair because I want to. I've always been inclined to do so (before I reverted, or even met any Muslims, I always wore bandanas or scarves covering my hair). It's not an absolute requirement of the Qur'an. We are required to cover our adornments. That is up to interpretation, which will differ from person to person. For me, it actually differs day to day. I cover my hair/neck every day. I wear shirts with short sleeves sometimes, other days I will wear long sleeves. I've been caught in capris and long tees on the beach with my hair covered. I've been caught in a shirt that went to my knees with nothing but a bathingsuit on under, yet my hair stayed covered. Both of these occasions I was with my fiance so honestly I didnt feel like I was wearing as little as I was. I cover because I feel more appreciated doing so. I used to bear all cleavage and wear shorts etc.. I was never especially comfortable doing so, but I did it for what I thought was comfort in the heat etc. I've actually felt COOLER in my hijab & an abaya. It's a very light thin fabric that air travels through very well.

When I decide to take that next step in my faith and wear an abaya all the time, it is my personal choice. I feel for the women who are forced to do so. Some countries, like Saudi, require women to wear abayas because men there are pigs, and will rape a woman dressed in a western womans clothing style in an instant. Not saying that they dont rape Muslim women fully garbed, but, the targets are usually women in less than an abaya. And, to let you know, its a respect thing. They feel Muslim women are to be respected moreso than a woman who wears whatever. They think "she wore it, she asked for it". I do NOT condone this behavior, just giving you an insight into why it is required.

And, for those that think Muslim women are second class citizens.. That is NOT Islam. That is a cultural thing. Muslim women are to be valued, appreciated, protected and admired by our husbands. Muslim women are as much equals to our husbands in all aspects. Men aren't supposed to show their bodies either, not that that stops them. Men are supposed to cover MINIMAL belly button to knees. Pants on men are supposed to be hemmed above the ankle (honestly, I cant remember why right now). Muslim women can uncover their hands and feet and faces.. Those that choose not to, do so because it is their CHOICE (in 98% of cases). Some women are forced to cover, but this is NOT the Islamic culture, it is that AREAS culture. :-6 I think I coverd it all LOL.. Any questions?
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

mama_muslimah;1261126 wrote: Honestly, most of the Muslims in Philadelphia are NOI (I live in Philadelphia). They aren't "real" Muslims, to the rest of us. Just like the extremist terrorists arent REAL Muslims.. Sure they saythey are doing things in the name of Islam (which, fyi, means PEACE in Arabic), and Allah, but seriously, Islam teaches peace, if people take it in the context it was meant to be taken it. I mean, there are plenty of people who kill in the name of God all the time, but does that make them EXTREMIST CHRISTIANS? No.

There are also a lot of what I'd call overnight Muslims in Philadelphia as well.. Those that eat pork, are tatted up, drink, smoke, etc.. Then come Ramadan they are devout Muslims. It's kinda ridiculous.

Islam teaches you not to judge.. but.. yeah.. so does Christianity.

But back to the topic at hand. I have pictures of myself before reverting up on my facebook. I've had my facebook since before I reverted, and most of my pictures are me with my kids. So, yeah.. why would I take them done?

I cover my hair because I want to. I've always been inclined to do so (before I reverted, or even met any Muslims, I always wore bandanas or scarves covering my hair). It's not an absolute requirement of the Qur'an. We are required to cover our adornments. That is up to interpretation, which will differ from person to person. For me, it actually differs day to day. I cover my hair/neck every day. I wear shirts with short sleeves sometimes, other days I will wear long sleeves. I've been caught in capris and long tees on the beach with my hair covered. I've been caught in a shirt that went to my knees with nothing but a bathingsuit on under, yet my hair stayed covered. Both of these occasions I was with my fiance so honestly I didnt feel like I was wearing as little as I was. I cover because I feel more appreciated doing so. I used to bear all cleavage and wear shorts etc.. I was never especially comfortable doing so, but I did it for what I thought was comfort in the heat etc. I've actually felt COOLER in my hijab & an abaya. It's a very light thin fabric that air travels through very well.

When I decide to take that next step in my faith and wear an abaya all the time, it is my personal choice. I feel for the women who are forced to do so. Some countries, like Saudi, require women to wear abayas because men there are pigs, and will rape a woman dressed in a western womans clothing style in an instant. Not saying that they dont rape Muslim women fully garbed, but, the targets are usually women in less than an abaya. And, to let you know, its a respect thing. They feel Muslim women are to be respected moreso than a woman who wears whatever. They think "she wore it, she asked for it". I do NOT condone this behavior, just giving you an insight into why it is required.

And, for those that think Muslim women are second class citizens.. That is NOT Islam. That is a cultural thing. Muslim women are to be valued, appreciated, protected and admired by our husbands. Muslim women are as much equals to our husbands in all aspects. Men aren't supposed to show their bodies either, not that that stops them. Men are supposed to cover MINIMAL belly button to knees. Pants on men are supposed to be hemmed above the ankle (honestly, I cant remember why right now). Muslim women can uncover their hands and feet and faces.. Those that choose not to, do so because it is their CHOICE (in 98% of cases). Some women are forced to cover, but this is NOT the Islamic culture, it is that AREAS culture. :-6 I think I coverd it all LOL.. Any questions?

Well thank you very much for your very informative post, much appreciated ! :-6
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

mama_muslimah,

Thank you for a thoughtful and heartfelt reply

Just one silly question from one across the pond - what's NOI, it's not a term I'm familiar with.

Return to “Islam”