Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

Discuss the Muslim Faith.
freetobeme

Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

Post by freetobeme »

What's the next step, telling people they can't walk a dog in public or what, this is ridiculous. Seems they are always outraged at something, why settle in a country who's customs are so alien to their own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ns-hat.htm

lMuslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

A postcard featuring a cute puppy sitting in a policeman's hat advertising a Scottish police force's new telephone number has sparked outrage from Muslims.

Tayside Police's new non-emergency phone number has prompted complaints from members of the Islamic community.

The choice of image on the Tayside Police cards - a black dog sitting in a police officer's hat - has now been raised with Chief Constable John Vine.

Poster

Tayside Police caused uproar in the Muslim community after they released this advertisement featuring police puppy Rebel sitting in a hat

The advert has upset Muslims because dogs are considered ritually unclean and has sparked such anger that some shopkeepers in Dundee have refused to display the advert.

========================================

senior's politics and discussion
spot

Post by spot »

He has a web page.

http://www.tayside.police.uk/dog_section_diary.php

Bred for police work, they say.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

It's just more ignorance on their behalf.
Lon

Post by Lon »

They should apologize to the Muslims by giving them some Bar-B-Que Pork Ribs.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Is it not apparent to anyone let alone Muslims that dogs are very efficient in the progress to society?...

I mean it's not enough for a dog that could have potentially saved one of their children from disease, or assist in their handicap, or to rid their neighbor of an underground meth lab...

People are truly too ignorant in their own arrogance at times...
spot

Post by spot »

Lon;904961 wrote: They should apologize to the Muslims by giving them some Bar-B-Que Pork Ribs.

fuzzy butt;904962 wrote: And don't forget to throw a shrimp on the Barby ..I think they'd like ka bit of shell fish:wah::wah:

If it were Jews we were discussing, don't you think these posts would be considered racially abusive? The notion of culturally unclean animals isn't restricted to Muslims, you know.

K.Snyder;905004 wrote: People are truly too ignorant in their own arrogance at times...Amen, brother.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;905028 wrote: don't have a problem with any of their beliefs .That really fits in well with "could someone tell these people to grow a brain please", I'm impressed by your consistency.
spot

Post by spot »

Jester;905003 wrote: Can you iamgine what would happen if the muslums were in the majority or in a specialized minority and had either direct power or symapthetic power?

Thats right, beware, you might not be able to have puppies!On a point of information, Muslim families in (for example) Syria keep dogs if they feel inclined. Not many feel inclined but some do. It's a cultural issue, not one of prohibition. I don't have a dog either.
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;905031 wrote: So if it's not Islam then which culture are we talking about here?

and yes the muslim leader who made the complaint needs to grow a brain.

Which Muslim leader is this then? I'll write and ask him to explain his position. Seriously. All you need do is tell me who you're referring to.

Perhaps there are a few Muslims hypersensitized by the use the military police put their dogs to in Abu Ghraib, the photos of those incidents - like the man on the box with the electrodes on his wrists - have been very widely seen. I'm not having a go at the patsies who were sent down over those events, I regard them as political prisoners who've finally worked out who their real enemy is, I'm having a go at police dog handlers in general. They and their animals are trained in aggression and crowd control and after Orgreave nobody in this country has any reason to trust the bastards any more than prisoners in Abu Ghraib have. Our police are just as much political tools as Lynndie England.
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;905031 wrote: the muslim leader who made the complaint needs to grow a brain.Which Muslim leader is this then? I'll write and ask him to explain his position. Seriously. All you need do is tell me who you're referring to.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Perhaps there are a few Muslims hypersensitized by the use the military police put their dogs to in Abu Ghraib, the photos of those incidents -

Or perhaps there are some Muslims who think the world needs cater to their religious sensibilities. :thinking:
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;905044 wrote: Or perhaps there are some Muslims who think the world needs cater to their religious sensibilities. :thinking:

Why religious, RG? Where did "religious" creep into this thread, I missed that bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher is religious sensibilities catered to by the world, let's keep things in perspective.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

spot;905046 wrote: Why religious, RG? Where did "religious" creep into this thread, I missed that bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher is religious sensibilities catered to by the world, let's keep things in perspective.

Religious sensibilities in that they consider dogs unclean as per their religion. Which is fine, But they should not expect everyone else to support that notion. It doesn't matter if we're speaking of Muslims or Jews or whoever. It's one thing to force pork on them and quite another to place a harmless advertisement.
spot

Post by spot »

RedGlitter;905047 wrote: Religious sensibilities in that they consider dogs unclean as per their religion. Which is fine, But they should not expect everyone else to support that notion. It doesn't matter if we're speaking of Muslims or Jews or whoever. It's one thing to force pork on them and quite another to place a harmless advertisement.

"They should not expect everyone else to support that notion"? I've no idea what your laws are like but ours have explicit permissions for the religious slaughter of conscious animals, you know. All in the name of religion. It's a far smaller matter to express distaste over an advertisement. I note that there's no "Muslim leader" involved, it looks from here like few newsagents who can't bring themselves to pretend that police dogs or their handlers are anything but trained enforcers of State power. Eww police dogs.

There are two truths here. One is that a newsagent in that position's quite likely to say "They want me to distribute those? Another five years and that brute's going to be pinning my kids to the back wall of the shop while they wet themselves in terror. They must be barmy!" and the other truth is that it's the Daily Mail wot said it which means it's another baseless gay effort at inflaming public opinion against Muslims. Gay, in this context, has nothing to do with sexuality.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

i've heard of a "hot potato" ....

so is this a "hot dog?" :wah:
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

freetobeme;904862 wrote: What's the next step, telling people they can't walk a dog in public or what, this is ridiculous. Seems they are always outraged at something, why settle in a country who's customs are so alien to their own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ns-hat.htm

lMuslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

========================================

Here in London there are plenty young Muslim guys walking around with Dogs .

I know of three shop keepers who actually went out and bought Rotties directly because they got to know my one ....... some people like dogs some people don't .
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
spot

Post by spot »

Thank you pants. I think that boils the problem down to it being a police Alsatian then.
freetobeme

Post by freetobeme »

Jester;905003 wrote: Can you iamgine what would happen if the muslums were in the majority or in a specialized minority and had either direct power or symapthetic power?

Thats right, beware, you might not be able to have puppies!

Im with Lon, and pass me a babyback rib!:wah:
For some reason the original link no longer works..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-hat.html

That is my concern. As demographics change and this particular 'minority group' increases to a majority, gaining more political power, what will they do? Muslims consider dogs to be ritually unclean and we know there have been instances of cabbies refusing guide dogs of all things in their cars. Will they try to ban dogs, including guide dogs, will we have to quit eating pork because it would be banned from the stores. It boggles the mind, and besides, I wouldn't look good in a veil. :)-

People in UK and other countries where this type of 'outrage' can affect them, should take a stand against this kind of nonsense.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotlan ... 4243889.jp

well, an apology is in order - really.. the muslims should apologize to the people of Tayside.

We accept people of different cultures, but we should not have to give up ours to accommodate theirs.

Chookie

Post by Chookie »

To inject a bit of sanity into this debate, there IS no outrage:-

The tabloids are blowing it out of proportion and the Record seems to be a day late.

One councillor pointed out to the police that Muslims don't like dogs an it wouldn't do the campaign much good putting pictures of dogs through their letterboxes. The leaflets would just go in the bin.

A simple oversight easily corrected. Nothing worth making a fuss about.

Read the article carefully and see if you can find references tae which “angry groups of Muslims” are actually complaining or outraged.

Another link to the same story – in a paper commonly known to Scots as “The Daily Rectum” -

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... -20628132/

I think the point the councillor was making was specific and accurate.

The police are trying to make inroads into what could be thought of as a closed community.

Giving out leaflets that people are just going bin is counter-productive, they won't be read, so for that community you need to put them out in a form which won't annoy anyone.

The press are presenting this as if it's pandering to the wishes of the Muslims, which it isn't.

It is in fact nothing more than a marketing strategy gone wrong.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

put the flyers out with naked women sitting in the hat and holding that puppy and I bet you they don't get tossed.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

Jester;905765 wrote: I'm sorry you don't have a dog Spot. Might I suggest a Rat Terrier (Fiest in the UK). They are small very agressive very easily trained dogs primirily used for farming areas, by nature they ar emeant to kill small vermin.

I currently have two rooms in the attic of a three storey town house and I quite often don't set foot outside of it for weeks on end, I suspect a Rat Terrier would be rather miserable in my presence especially since to all intents and purposes I'm deaf, unapproachable and given to long periods of motionless silence. Being small and very aggressive too we'd not be suited. By nature any self-respecting dog would mistake me for small vermin on sight.
freetobeme

Post by freetobeme »

Jester;905768 wrote: Or will you be living in a burkha and if you and I were married would I get to legally beat you with your hair brush for not doing the dishes properly?

BTW honey you missed a spot on the side of that cup!
You might, but you'd clean you're own 'spot' (pun intended) and I don't do dishes LOL but dang, that burkha just wouldn't do anything for me.

all cultures welcome here sans Burkha

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Chookie;905542 wrote: To inject a bit of sanity into this debate, there IS no outrage:-

The tabloids are blowing it out of proportion and the Record seems to be a day late.

One councillor pointed out to the police that Muslims don't like dogs an it wouldn't do the campaign much good putting pictures of dogs through their letterboxes. The leaflets would just go in the bin.

A simple oversight easily corrected. Nothing worth making a fuss about.

Read the article carefully and see if you can find references tae which “angry groups of Muslims” are actually complaining or outraged.

Another link to the same story – in a paper commonly known to Scots as “The Daily Rectum” -

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... -20628132/

I think the point the councillor was making was specific and accurate.

The police are trying to make inroads into what could be thought of as a closed community.

Giving out leaflets that people are just going bin is counter-productive, they won't be read, so for that community you need to put them out in a form which won't annoy anyone.

The press are presenting this as if it's pandering to the wishes of the Muslims, which it isn't.

It is in fact nothing more than a marketing strategy gone wrong.

But how else would they sell their paper?...:wah:
freetobeme

Post by freetobeme »

Jester;906394 wrote: I don't know yet though, but that burkha might be kinda sexy depending on what ya have on underneath...???

:wah:

I been trying to clean that 'spot' for some time now, it just wont go away! :wah: (sorry spot I just couldn't resist)
Maybe some good ole scrubbing with oxyclean or something :wah:

Still, this is just another case of rolling over and giving in to cultural demands and some people think that the real threat is from Christian evangelicals, Sharia Law coming soon to the U.K. .....:-5
spot

Post by spot »

freetobeme;906887 wrote: Sharia Law coming soon to the U.K. .....:-5In what sense, ma'am?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Im unclear here, what happens to me if I walk into any Middle Eastern country and criticize them for making women cover up or any number of other traditions I find backwards ?

Do I have that right there ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Nomad;907112 wrote: Im unclear here, what happens to me if I walk into any Middle Eastern country and criticize them for making women cover up or any number of other traditions I find backwards ?

Do I have that right there ?

Yes you have that right there...

The only problem being that you'd be jailed and possibly even murdered...

You have that right there...I wouldn't suggest it...
spot

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;907114 wrote: Yes you have that right there...

The only problem being that you'd be jailed and possibly even murdered...

You have that right there...I wouldn't suggest it...

Would you like to substantiate that? I mean, it's not just wrong but it's pointlessly wrong. I know people who have been there and discussed the matter critically there and been neither jailed nor murdered, it's just been courteously and considerately discussed from both sides. You simply have a mental picture of reality there which doesn't coincide with what happens. It has the feel of xenophobia writ large.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;907116 wrote: Would you like to substantiate that? I mean, it's not just wrong but it's pointlessly wrong. I know people who have been there and discussed the matter critically there and been neither jailed nor murdered, it's just been courteously and considerately discussed from both sides. You simply have a mental picture of reality there which doesn't coincide with what happens. It has the feel of xenophobia writ large.

So maybe he wouldn't be jailed or murdered in most Muslim countries...

Not as if there's no predominately Muslim country in the world that wouldn't...
spot

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;907133 wrote: So maybe he wouldn't be jailed or murdered in most Muslim countries...

Not as if there's no predominately Muslim country in the world that wouldn't...

Name it, and we can focus in on your accusation.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;907135 wrote: Name it, and we can focus in on your accusation.

Nigeria for one...

Rioting over the controversial cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad claimed another 16 lives last night in Nigeria as churches were burned by protesting Muslims.

The violence erupted as the Danish cartoonist whose drawings originally sparked the furore, Kurt Westergaard, used an interview with a British newspaper to defend the right to a free press - and said the Islamic faith provided 'spiritual ammunition' for terrorism.

More than two weeks after the controversy began, after-effects are still being felt around the world. The first protests in Nigeria flared in the provinces of Borno and Katsina: witnesses said hotels and shops were torched by protesters who ran wild after police fired teargas to disperse them.

An Associated Press reporter saw mobs of Muslim protesters swarm through the city center with machetes, sticks and iron rods. One group threw a tire around a man, poured gas on him and set him ablaze.

[...]

Thousands of rioters burned 15 churches in Maiduguri in a three-hour rampage before troops and police reinforcements restored order, Nigerian police spokesman Haz Iwendi said. Iwendi said security forces arrested dozens of people in the city about 1,000 miles northeast of the capital, Lagos.

Chima Ezeoke, a Christian Maiduguri resident, said protesters attacked and looted shops owned by minority Christians, most of them with origins in the country's south.

"Most of the dead were Christians beaten to death on the streets by the rioters," Ezeoke said. Witnesses said three children and a priest were among those killed.

No doubt those three kids deserved what was coming to them, what with being paid agents of infidel Denmark, the Great Satan America and the Zionist Entity, right? Superstitious, murderous scum. I await the responses of the know-it-all pseudo-sophisticates who will "explain" how this is nothing to do with Islam as an ideological system, but either a manifestation of "local grievances" or else is "justified" and/or "understandable" in light of American "neocon" triumphalism and Muslim "humiliation" - as if Christians in Borno and Katsina had anything to do with America or Denmark, or were in any position to "humiliate" the Muslim majority amongst which they lived. Maybe they'd also like to explain why it's never the Christians who go on lynching and rioting expeditions whenever Muslims carry out "humiliations" like mass murder in the Sudan ...

In other news sure to warm the hearts of all the glib morons who like to ascribe extreme anti-liberal views to only a "fringe" few Muslims while indulging the myth that there is some solid "moderate" Muslim majority for liberal constitutionalism, equality of the sexes under the law and freedom of religion, here are some cheering poll figures on Britain's resident Muslims:

In Britain, a poll of Muslims last night found evidence of growing alienation, with four in 10 calling for religious sharia law to be imposed in parts of the UK with a mainly Muslim population. The law specifies stonings and amputations as punishments, and involves religious police bringing suspects before courts.

One in five also expressed some sympathy with the 'feelings and motives' of the July 7 bombers.

What moderation! Keep in mind that these are just the ones stupid or bold enough to admit such things to pollsters, so the likely figures are much, much higher. Of course evidence like this won't change the minds of fools so obsessed with reversing left-wing defeats within the narrow confines of American politics that the only filter through which they are willing to see the world beyond America's shores is that of the evil machinations of "triumphalists" and "neocons": so what if millions of powerless and impoverished people are at the receiving end of the expansionist tyranny of the ever-so-oppressed and "humiliated" Muslims whom these idiots are always bending over backwards to cook up excuses for?

The facts of the matter are simple: Islam is not in any way, shape or form a religion of "peace", unless by "peace" one means peaceful submission of Christians and Jews to the superiority of Muslims, and the freedom of animists and polytheists to either peacefully convert to Islam or else peacefully offer their necks up for a swift beheading. Islam is a brutal, barbaric superstition which was spread almost entirely by the sword, an aggressively expansionist doctrine whose advances were only checked in the early 20th century by the superior might of European expansionists, and whose adherents are driven to rage by the "humiliation" of no longer seeing their faith sweep all before it at scimitar-point as their "prophet" had promised them it always would: those who like to insist that things aren't as I've described them are either utter fools without any real knowledge or understanding of orthodox Islamic doctrine, or else pathetic apologists already internally convinced of the unworthiness of their own society's survival in the face of what they perceive to be a superior faith.http://foreigndispatches.typepad.com/di ... uslim.html

To say that a cartoon is not correlative to one voicing their opinion over their disagreement with Muslim heritage is preposterous...The cartoon represent mockery...The same mockery they take offense to in the displaying of opposed beliefs...

They killed their own...
spot

Post by spot »

And what has that to do with anyone going to Nigeria and "criticize them for making women cover up or any number of other traditions I find backwards" and getting jailed or murdered for doing so?
freetobeme

Post by freetobeme »

spot;906902 wrote: In what sense, ma'am?
There have been polls which suggest that 40% of British Muslims would like Sharia Law in Britain, this is simply a foot in the door.

This was tried in Ontario, fortunately it was turned down, there is no way that any group of people should be treated differently under our law. This tends to affect women in particular, so there is no way in hell that any woman in the west should be treated as a second class citizen.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?thea ... 0422555681

The Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, Lord Phillips, has said that the United Kingdom may introduce the principles of Sharia law into some aspects of its legal system.

The British Broadcasting Corporation Online reports that Lord Phillips, the most senior judge in England and Wales, said there was no reason Sharia law principles could not be used in mediation. However, he said this would still be subject to the “jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.”

Sharia is a set of principles that governs the way many Muslims believe they should live their lives.

spot

Post by spot »

freetobeme;907448 wrote: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?thea ... 0422555681

The Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, Lord Phillips, has said that the United Kingdom may introduce the principles of Sharia law into some aspects of its legal system.

And that's not an example of you selectively quoting is it, by any chance? I mean, I'm quite sure you read the whole account but you decided you'd rather grab at the bias and egg your own point of view than help people understand reality. It's not helpful, it's not sensible, it's a waste of bandwidth and I wonder why you do it. Why do you do it?

Lord Phillips said: "There is no reason why sharia principles, or any other religious code, should not be the basis for mediation or other forms of alternative dispute resolution.

"It must be recognised, however, that any sanctions for a failure to comply with the agreed terms of mediation would be drawn from the laws of England and Wales."

Severe physical punishments such as flogging, stoning and the cutting off of hands would not be acceptable, he said.

He added: "There can be no question of such courts sitting in this country, or such sanctions being applied here. So far as the law is concerned, those who live in this country are governed by English and Welsh law and subject to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7488790.stm

How totally explicit does a guy have to get in saying that there's no way over his dead body that sharia courts will ever be allowed to sit and pass judgement on anyone of any religion inside the UK? Look at what he said, again... "There can be no question of such courts sitting in this country, or such sanctions being applied here. So far as the law is concerned, those who live in this country are governed by English and Welsh law and subject to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts." It's the complete reversal of what you chose to make of his speech.

What he said was that civil agreements made under sharia principles could at some point be accepted as enforceable contracts by English courts. We've been doing that in England for other religions' civil agreements since the days of the Victorians.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;907165 wrote: And what has that to do with anyone going to Nigeria and "criticize them for making women cover up or any number of other traditions I find backwards" and getting jailed or murdered for doing so?

It has everything to do with..."criticize them for any number of other traditions I find backwards"...

Are you suggesting that the cartoon wasn't critical of "any number of other traditions I find backwards"?...I don't know how you couldn't find the story I've presented correlative to the concern of "Not as if there's no predominately Muslim country in the world that wouldn't"...In this case being murder...
spot

Post by spot »

Your news story is of a riot!

You claimed people would be jailed or murdered for going to Nigeria and criticizing the way women are "made to cover up" or "any number of other traditions I find backwards". Being jailed for doing something - or being murdered for doing it - has absolutely nothing to do with Nigerians in Nigeria having a riot over an event in Europe. We're talking about a Westerner going to a Muslim country and being jailed or murdered for his or her critical opinions of Muslims.

The point the riot makes about Nigeria is that it's not a Muslim country, it's a country of mixed religions and consequently it has occasionally tense moments like that. We get the same thing in England a couple of times a decade though we stop short of the deaths.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855613.html will be useful for you. Nigeria's 50% Muslim, not predominantly as you suggested.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;907636 wrote: Your news story is of a riot!

You claimed people would be jailed or murdered for going to Nigeria and criticizing the way women are "made to cover up" or "any number of other traditions I find backwards". Being jailed for doing something - or being murdered for doing it - has absolutely nothing to do with Nigerians in Nigeria having a riot over an event in Europe. We're talking about a Westerner going to a Muslim country and being jailed or murdered for his or her critical opinions of Muslims.

The point the riot makes about Nigeria is that it's not a Muslim country, it's a country of mixed religions and consequently it has occasionally tense moments like that. We get the same thing in England a couple of times a decade though we stop short of the deaths.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855613.html will be useful for you. Nigeria's 50% Muslim, not predominantly as you suggested.

It is notable that under Shari'ah law in many countries apostasy and any actions or statements considered blasphemous are harshly punished, in some States by death.

Under Article 22 of the Cairo Declaration a person may only express their opinion in a manner "as would not be contrary to the principles of the Shari'ah", and freedom of expression may not be used to "weaken faith".

Islamic Law vs Human Rights
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;907636 wrote:

Nigeria is predominately Muslim because the rest of those percentages are...

Islam 50%

Christianity 40%

Other 10%

50% amongst a lesser 40% and 10% is predominate in comparison to it's other followings...

If it had been 50% Islam and 50% of one single other religion it wouldn't have been predominate...

Return to “Islam”