The Headshawl

Discuss the Muslim Faith.
Gaius

The Headshawl

Post by Gaius »

Muslims claim the Hadith allows them to demand women to wear the headshawl. They claim this is a muslim custom. Why then does Islam not recognise that Mohammad never demanded of his wives to wear the headshawl, that his wives wore them out of fashion? The headshawl was a fashion adopted from Greek Orthodox Christians.

The way women are treated within Islam is unislamic to its core. Mohammad would turn over in his grave if he seen how organised Islam has turned out.

There is much good in Islam. It is truly a beautiful religion. Muslims been the most democratic people up until the modern Indutrial society. The way in which Muslims give to charity is remarkable. Egalitarianism and tolerance are other aspect's of Islam to be admired. (So pleased don't confuse me to be a bigot - I just don't see on what grounds Muslim men mistreat muslim women)
spot

The Headshawl

Post by spot »

Gaius wrote: Muslims claim the Hadith allows them to demand women to wear the headshawl. They claim this is a muslim custom.It's a tradition of long standing on ForumGarden that references accompany volatile statements of fact. I'd quite like to see a "demand" or two, just to see how they compare with the Koran at verse 24.31.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

The Headshawl

Post by koan »

I know a few women who love wearing their hijab and it is not a matter of fashion. They feel protected and seen more for who they are and less for how they appear.
Gaius

The Headshawl

Post by Gaius »

I have not read the Koran. Give me a break, I'm only seventeen. I have read much of Mohammad's life, his biography, and read many accounts of Muslim history. See Karen Armstrong's 'A Short History of Islam'

Of course I have no objection if a woman wishes to wear a headshawl. The older generation of Irish women (My grandmother among them) used to wear headshawls, also out of fashion. But this tradition in Islamic society were certain women are forced to wear a headshawl on false pretences is truly unislamic and any true muslim must surely agree!
spot

The Headshawl

Post by spot »

Gaius wrote: this tradition in Islamic society were certain women are forced to wear a headshawl on false pretences is truly unislamic and any true muslim must surely agree!I live in a city with many Muslims. Some wear the Hijab, some don't. I've seen abuse of those wearing it, by what I took to be non-Muslims, and it was invariably deplorable and boorish. I've never seen abuse of those not wearing it by other Muslims demanding that they be covered more modestly. I take it that here, it is not a matter of fashion or edict, it is a matter of conscience. I note that in some parts of Europe in some settings it's illegal to wear the Hijab at all, and I find that offensive. That's not merely unislamic, it's unchristian and unsocial.

If you were to consider it more likely that in those parts of the world where coercion is involved, such as Talib-controlled Afghanistan or some parts of Iran over the last thirty years, the enforcement is a fashion which at other times in those same places is not a fashion, then we can drop the idea of it being a universal demand on the basis of religious observance. That seems a far more reasonable interpretation, regardless of the motive behind it. If some people mistakenly though honestly believe that they are doing God's will, there's no reason to take that as the norm.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Saffron

The Headshawl

Post by Saffron »

Gaius wrote: Muslims claim the Hadith allows them to demand women to wear the headshawl. They claim this is a muslim custom. Why then does Islam not recognise that Mohammad never demanded of his wives to wear the headshawl, that his wives wore them out of fashion? The headshawl was a fashion adopted from Greek Orthodox Christians.

The way women are treated within Islam is unislamic to its core. Mohammad would turn over in his grave if he seen how organised Islam has turned out.

There is much good in Islam. It is truly a beautiful religion. Muslims been the most democratic people up until the modern Indutrial society. The way in which Muslims give to charity is remarkable. Egalitarianism and tolerance are other aspect's of Islam to be admired. (So pleased don't confuse me to be a bigot - I just don't see on what grounds Muslim men mistreat muslim women)
Here is a forum that has quite a few veiled Muslim women who are members. You can get your questions answered here....it is youregypt.com, I can't link the URL as I have not gotten 15 posts yet. There are also Copt Christians and British people there. Have fun.:-3
Your Kitty Forum

My Website
Redhawk

The Headshawl

Post by Redhawk »

Gaius wrote: Muslims claim the Hadith allows them to demand women to wear the headshawl. They claim this is a muslim custom. Why then does Islam not recognise that Mohammad never demanded of his wives to wear the headshawl, that his wives wore them out of fashion? The headshawl was a fashion adopted from Greek Orthodox Christians.

Go to a place where tourism is common, like Washington DC, and you'll see Mr. Muslim in bermudas and tank top and his two or three Mrs. Muslims in burqas staggering behind him in PM heat, and you'll get a good understanding why such dress codes are designed for the suffering of women. Whether burqa or headshawl, neither promotes health and the free circulation of fresh air.
moody1

The Headshawl

Post by moody1 »

The qur'an certainly states that you cannot judge anyone, it is all based on the fact that a good muslim doesn't act or punish someone for sins since Allah judges everyone on judgement day. Also interestingly enough, in Islam, back biting is a bigger sin than murder :confused:
Don't stay in bed unless you can make money in bed

Return to “Islam”