Earth's Magnetic Field Is Fading

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

I find this news fascinating. -------------

Earth's magnetic field is fading. Today it is about 10 percent weaker than it was when German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss started keeping tabs on it in 1845, scientists say.

If the trend continues, the field may collapse altogether and then reverse. Compasses would point south instead of north.

Not surprisingly, Hollywood has already seized on this new twist in the natural-disaster genre. Last year Tinseltown released The Core, a film in which the collapse of Earth's magnetic field leads to massive electrical storms, blasts of solar radiation, and birds incapable of navigation.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... field.html

Attached files
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

WOW. To think Ireland would be like Africa,mmmmmmmm and America?
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Magnetic reversals are certainly not a new thing. The magnetic field shifts around a lot, actually. In my field of archaeology we have a dating technique for kilns and brickwork that measures age by comparing the magnetic strength and alignment in such remains (the magnetic field remains fixed once brickwork is fired, the field becomes 'trapped' within the masonry) to current measurements.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Hawke wrote: Magnetic reversals are certainly not a new thing. The magnetic field shifts around a lot, actually. In my field of archaeology we have a dating technique for kilns and brickwork that measures age by comparing the magnetic strength and alignment in such remains (the magnetic field remains fixed once brickwork is fired, the field becomes 'trapped' within the masonry) to current measurements.
Now THAT is cool. Amazing, the things you learn. Who would have thought? Talk about having diverse interests, Hawke. Computer whiz and archaeology? Awesome.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

PEIguy wrote: Anyone who has an interest in Astronomy or Geology would be quite familiar with magnetic field reversals. They are irregular and dificult to predict using physics but is related to the movement of the molton core.

Periods between reversals can range between 10's of thousands of years, to millions of years. I truly believe that we in the 21st century are going to see amazing stuff in the near future.
Clint

Post by Clint »

I once used a 10’ measuring tape to represent 6,000 years. I then calculated what the time representing our access to electricity for industrial purposes looked like on the tape. As I recall it was less than one inch. Things are changing fast.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
minks

Post by minks »

I for one would be horrified it it happened because Us Canadians always liked being "on top"

Sorry I just could not resist that.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

You all do know who's to blame for this, of course. The Americans.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
minks

Post by minks »

anastrophe wrote: You all do know who's to blame for this, of course. The Americans.

Yes stop clubbing the seals will ya.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

anastrophe wrote: You all do know who's to blame for this, of course. The Americans.
Along with world hunger, unemployment rates, cancer, every war ever fought, since the beginning of time, racism, crime rates around the world, obesity, all corruption worldwide, any lie ever told, pit bull attacks, and pretty much anything that is wrong with any situation, anywhere on the planet. Sheesh. :-5
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Nothing a little core boring and a few nuclear bombs can't correct.

Return to “Earth Changes”