Krakatoa

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
SOJOURNER

Krakatoa

Post by SOJOURNER »

I am half way through Simon Winchester's The Day The World Exploded: August 27, 1883 Krakatoa

It is not a book I would normally pick up and read. I am reading it for a book discussion group I joined. The first 90-some pages out of 400+ were interesting. Then, I found I could not put it down. When the book talked about the 60's when they discovered proof of continental shifts, I was excited because I remember when this actual came out..........

I am really enjoying this book and am recommending it.

The back covers reads as follows:

......examines the legendary annihilation in 1883 of the volcano-island of Krakatoa, which was followed by an immense tsunami that killed nearly 40,000 people. The effects of the immense waves were felt as far away as France. Barometers in Bogota and Washington, D.S., went haywire. Bodies were washed up in Zanzibar. The sound of the island's destruction was heard in Australia and India and on islands thousands of miles away. Most significant of all -- in view of today's new political climate -- the eruption helped to trigger in Java a wave of murderous anti-Western militancy among fundamentalist Muslims, one of the first out breaks of Islamic-inspired killings anywhere. Krakatoa give us an entirely new perspective on this fascinaitng and iconic event.
SOJOURNER

Krakatoa

Post by SOJOURNER »

The public TV station here in Ohio will be having an hour show on next Monday at 9pm.

Return to “The Library”