Request for author names of series books

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

I love to read.

I can't wait to get to the end of a book; but at the same time, I dread the end of it. I have found in the last year or so that by reading books in a series, I can prolong the end for a satisfyingly long time. I don't want to just read a good book and then hope to find an equally good novel to read after it. I want that next book waiting...........

I especially like mysteries, but I am not locked into just one type of book.

I was hoping that others might like to share with me their suggestions for my future reading.

Listed below are some recent authors I have just read so can see what type of series has grabbed my interest.

Janet Evanovich: Main character is Stephanie Plum and she's a bounty hunter. These are side splitting reads with a bit of slap and tickle thrown in.

Laurell K. Hamilton: Anita Blake, animator and vampire slayer. Deals with the inter-relationships of werewolves and vampires with the titilation building through the 13 volumnes so that you are caught up in it before you realize where you have ended up..........

Carl Hiaasen: Writes of funny capers revolving around the environmental exploitation of Florida by greedy developers. Insenses you with what has happend, is happening and makes you want to help do something besides read about it.

Virginia Lanier: Raises bloodhounds and runs a Search and Rescuse Service. Incredibly interesting information about the dogs and the operation of this service.

Nevada Barr: Anna Pigeon is a 50-ish National Park Service Ranger. Stories take place all over the United States and covers diving, caving, grizzley bears, etc......

J. A. Jance: Joanna Brady is a Sheriff in AZ. Non-traditional role for a rather traditional woman.

Alexander McCall Smith: Precious Ramotswe opens a Ladies' Detective Agency upon the death of her father. Her background is her common sense and knowledge of the people in the area.

I would also like to begin some non-fiction reading. I just picked up The Prison Angel by Mary Jordan and Kevin Sullivan. This is the story about an American who becomes a self-made sister and lives in a cell in one of the worst prisons in Mexico.

Please take a minute and respond with some suggestions for me. I would greatly appreciate your input.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i am crazy about Carl, met him in the keys a few times. turned Bothwell onto him also. it's the only fiction i read. 'Carl Hiaasen: Writes of funny capers revolving around the environmental exploitation of Florida by greedy developers. Incenses you with what has happened, is happening and makes you want to help do something besides read about it.' btw i answered you in my ladycop thread.. :)
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Flopstock:

Am 62 year old female, but I don't think that sex or age has a bearing on author preference.

When I was younger, a girlfriend of mine pointed out that all the books I read were by male authors. It was true, but it was true because the most avid readers I knew were men and we swapped books -- thus my tastes were directed to these writers because those were the books we were discussing.

I have bought all the Harry Potter books for daughter #2, who is 21, but I never got in to them.

Read Patterson's book though for teens about children with wings and found it very enjoyable.
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

LadyCop:

How neat to meet and be able to talk to an author you've read and enjoyed. Do you know when another book is due out. I, myself, did not particularly care for his last book 'Skinny Dip'.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

SOJOURNER wrote: LadyCop:

How neat to meet and be able to talk to an author you've read and enjoyed. Do you know when another book is due out. I, myself, did not particularly care for his last book 'Skinny Dip'.skinny dip was not his best...but he is still brilliant. did you know he writes a sunday column for the miami herald every week? to tell the truth, i have been in his house. and have his phone number. but i would never give it out, i got it on the job. i have no idea when next book due, but he has a website. www.carlhiaasen.com.
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Lady Cop:

What's his column on? Environmental issues?????

What's his house like?
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

FlopStock:

What's the author of the funny vampire book series?
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

SOJOURNER wrote: Lady Cop:

What's his column on? Environmental issues?????

What's his house like?nice house of course. his column is very pointed social commentary. google the miami herald and get all of them. :cool:
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Hi Sojourner,

I also LOVE to read!

I don't know if my taste is your taste, but if I find a book I enjoy I like to collect all books by that author. So I thought I would give you my recommendations.

My favourite author is Barbara Erskine. She writes time travel novels (my favourites) but they are just superb. My favourite of her novels is "Whispers in the Sand".

Synopsis:

Recently divorced, Anna Coburn decides to cheer herself up by retracing a journey her great grandmother made in the nineteenth century: a Nile cruise from Luxor to the Valley of the Kings. Anna carries with her on the voyage two mementoes of her great-grandmother Louisa: an ancient Egyptian scent bottle, and the diary of that original Nile cruise, which has lain unread for a hundred years. As she follows in Louisa's footsteps, Anna discovers in the diary the chilling secret of the scent bottle and is pursued by the same terrifying spectres as her great grandmother.

My second favourite author is Diana Gabaldon who has written a series of books about two people who meet just before the Battle of Culloden. The series follows them through war and peace with starvation then to the Americas where they deal with voodoo and American indians. Her latest soon-to-be-released novel is set in 1772 - the eve of the American revolution.

Synopsis of her first novel, called "Cross-Stitch" in the UK and "Outlander" in the US.

In 1945, Claire Randall is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon in Scotland. Innocently she walks through a stone circle in the Highlands, and finds herself in a violent skirmish taking place in 1743. Suddenly she is a Sassenach, an outlander, in a country torn by war and by clan feuds. A wartime nurse, Claire can deal with the bloody wounds that face her. But it is harder to deal with the knowledge that she is in Jacobite Scotland and the carnage of Culloden is looming. Marooned amid the passion and violence, the superstition, the shifting allegiances and the fervent loyalties, Claire is in danger from Jacobites and Redcoats - and from the shock of her own desire for James Fraser, a gallant and courageous young Scots warrior.

Synopsis of her latest novel, "A Breath of Snow and Ashes"

1772 - the eve of the American revolution. In Boston, men lie dead in the street and in the backwoods of America, isolated cabins burn in the darkness of the forest. The Colony is in ferment. Jamie Fraser, a passionate leader of men, receives an envoy from the Governor Josiah Martin, asking for help. The Governor needs someone to unite the backcountry, pacify the seething resentments of the settlers, and keep the mountains safe for King and Crown. Jamie Fraser, everyone agrees, is the man for the job. But Jamie knows what is to come. His wife, Claire, has travelled back in time from the twentieth century, and she knows that it's only a matter of a few years before the start of the War of Independence, ending with the exile or death of the men loyal to the King of England. Neither prospect appeals to Jamie. Beyond everything else, though, looms the threat of a tiny clipping from The Wilmington Gazette, dated 1776, which reports the destruction of the house on Fraser's Ridge, and the death by fire of James Fraser and all his family. Jamie hopes Claire is wrong, for once, about the future - but only time will tell.

Another series which I would HIGHLY reccommend is the "Incarnation of Immortality" series by Piers Anthony. The whole series opens your mind to new ideas and is just totally unputdownable! Start with the first book "On a Pale Horse" (which is brilliant!) and read them in order.

My all-time favourite book - and the only one I refuse to lend out - is "The Eight" by Katherine Neville.

"The Eight" is one part Dan Brown, one part "Alice through the looking glass", one part spy thriller, and one part Wilbur Smith, combining all these elements in an enticing and exciting tale of a legendary chessboard that has changed the face of history, and of the tale of the woman who is suddenly thrown into a deadly global game of chess against her will, and who must reassemble the chessboard to discover its secret. Along the way, as the tale of the fabulous chessboard is revealed, historical charactes such as Charlemagne and Catherine the Great are convincingly brought in. Of the more modern story of the heroine, Catherine Velis, the plot is filled with spies, assassins, powermongers, murderers, and people who will stop at nothing to own the chessboard for themselves.

This is a truly fabulous book. Neville has written a couple of other books, but I don't think they come close to this one. Enjoy!

I have just read "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. This deals with a family whose daughter has leukaemia and how they choose to have a 'designer baby' whose blood and bone marrow will keep her sister alive. The story follows 13 year old Anna who has been used as a donor for her sister throughout her life. Its a challenging ethical debate seen from all the different viewpoints of all the family members. Its gripping. Watch out for the shock ending!

Hope these suggestions are helpful. If not, have a look at Amazon. They will tell you what other books people are buying, who have read and enjoyed the same books as you. happy reading! :-6
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Jean Auel's "Earth's Children" series. Starts with "The Clan of the Cave Bear." Set during the ice age and toys with the idea of cro-magnon man existing at the same time as today's version of man. Incredible detail, hints at things like the first domesticated horses and dogs. Watch for things like how the first needle and thread was put to use. Also has great sex scenes!

5 books in all, in order they are:

The Clan of the Cave Bear

The Valley of Horses

The Mammoth Hunters

The Plains of Passage

The Shelters of Stone

Completely enthralling series, I've read the whole thing several times.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Rapunzel:

Thanks ever so much for the list of book suggestions. The Eight really sounds like something I'd like too. Will let you know what I eventually pick up and how I liked them.

Thanks again.
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Baby Rider:

Read them all. Loved them except for the one where we walked through 900 some pages of grass, weeds and golden rod -- that was a bit more fern & foliage descriptions than I care for.

Did you read them when they were all available, or did you suffer thru the long, looong. looooooooooong waits between books. And when are we getting another book. This series is not finished yet.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

SOJOURNER wrote: Baby Rider:

Read them all. Loved them except for the one where we walked through 900 some pages of grass, weeds and golden rod -- that was a bit more fern & foliage descriptions than I care for.

Did you read them when they were all available, or did you suffer thru the long, looong. looooooooooong waits between books. And when are we getting another book. This series is not finished yet.
See, I love all that detail. It takes me right to the place. Some do find it tedious, though!

I actually got my hands on "Plains of Passage" first, then when I kept seeing references to the cave bear, I realized I was in the middle, (or, at that time, the end) of a series. So then I read them in proper order, reading P of P again, but last. Then I did suffer for what, 9 friggin years, for the Shelters of Stone? (Which, I will admit here, left me a little flat.) I have no clue if she's going to write more, but I'll buy any and everything she writes, be it an extension of this series or something new entirely.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

BabyRider:

Checking the Web hasn't gotten me much info on Jean except to know that she is currently researching her sixth book in the Earth's Children's series. Shelters of Stone was out in 2002, so we are again waiting a long, long time.

However, the detail she has in her books does require extensive research and it is these details and thoughts about the possible development of things that grab us.

When I've asked at the various bookstores about another book from Jean, they know no more than we do.

Return to “The Library”