Reincarnation

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
rainbowsmiles

Reincarnation

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Is anyone here interested in the concept of reincarnation? I read an interesting book on the topic that really gets ya thinking. It is well written because the author looks at both sides of the subject. He gives reasons to believe and also to disbelieve. Not just theories but also facts. If anyone has ever been curious about the concept I recommend this book :)

Title: The Mystery of Reincarnation: the evidence and analysis of rebirth

Author: J. Allan Danelek
Lon

Reincarnation

Post by Lon »

I have always liked the concept. I do feel that I have lived before as another person and will probably surface again as someone else.
rainbowsmiles

Reincarnation

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Have you used a pendulum to get information on your past life? Several people have done that successfully! :)
kmhowe72

Reincarnation

Post by kmhowe72 »

I alway felt that I lived before. but christian teaching teaches us that not to believe in such things. I always believed that was wrong. But who am to argue with god. On there hand my husband believes that I was a queen . Because I am a very bossy person. He believes in it. And I love monarches.
kmhowe
rainbowsmiles

Reincarnation

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Have you read any of the lost sciptures that were found in Egypt? I was raised Roman Catholic but most of the scriptures I've read I find believable and its already been proven than the Catholic church has burried many of Jesus's teachings where he talked about reincarnation. Now whether or not those teachings are fact or fiction is another thing. I just know the Catholic church has now acknowledge some of those scriptures found in Egypt as fact but whether they were written by any of the disciples is still up for debate.
Accountable

Reincarnation

Post by Accountable »

Wasn't it the Celestine Prophesies that said we rattle around on this plane life after life until we've learned enough and are ready to advance to the next?
rainbowsmiles

Reincarnation

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I own the book but haven't read it, but it makes sense to me. Now you've made me want to crack open that book :)
kmhowe72

Reincarnation

Post by kmhowe72 »

I wouldn't put it pass the catholic church.
kmhowe
robinseggs

Reincarnation

Post by robinseggs »

I have never felt I have lived before....and don't know if I will again....but the whole idea is interesting to me too. Thanks for the book recommendation! There were some of those episodes of that show Unsolved Mysteries that were pretty compelling I remember....
Nature laughs Last
telaquapacky

Reincarnation

Post by telaquapacky »

Reincarnation - Roger Miller, 1966

If l was a bird and you was a fish

what would we do, l guess we'd wish

for re-incarnation, re-incarnation

wouldn't it be a sensation

to come back too, like reincarnation

If l was a tree and you was a flower

what would we do, l guess we'd wait for the power

of re-incarnation, re-incarnation,

l love you, and don't you know l always will

you're a girl, l'm a boy,

but suppose you were a rose

and l was a whip-poor-will

If l was a tree and you was a flower

what would we do, l guess we'd wait for the power

of re-incarnation, re-incarnation,

l love you, and don't you know l always will

you're a girl, l'm a boy,

but suppose you were a rose

and l was a whip-poor-will

:guitarist
Look what the cat dragged in.
telaquapacky

Reincarnation

Post by telaquapacky »

rainbowsmiles wrote: Have you read any of the lost sciptures that were found in Egypt? I was raised Roman Catholic but most of the scriptures I've read I find believable and its already been proven than the Catholic church has burried many of Jesus's teachings where he talked about reincarnation. Writings proposed as Scripture that teach things inconsistent with Bible we know are rejected as apocryphal (a fancy word for fake or uninspired). Then someone comes along and calls them "lost" and claims that the Roman Catholics or someone deep-sixed them for some sneaky reason. Reincarnation is a concept foreign to Judeo-Christianity as taught in the Bible. Any supposed "lost" scripture that teaches reincarnation is not a document of the same religion as the Bible and doesn't belong associated with it. Maybe some other religion lost their reincarnation scripture. It wasn't the folks that brought you the Bible.

rainbowsmiles

Reincarnation

Post by rainbowsmiles »

to come back too, like reincarnation :wah:

Just the first few lines had me in stitches... thats really funny, thanks for that! :p

Writings proposed as Scripture that teach things inconsistent with Bible we know are rejected as apocryphal (a fancy word for fake or uninspired). Then someone comes along and calls them "lost" and claims that the Roman Catholics or someone deep-sixed them for some sneaky reason. Reincarnation is a concept foreign to Judeo-Christianity as taught in the Bible. Any supposed "lost" scripture that teaches reincarnation is not a document of the same religion as the Bible and doesn't belong associated with it. Maybe some other religion lost their reincarnation scripture. It wasn't the folks that brought you the Bible.

I completely disagree but if we all agreed there wouldn't be so many religions now would there! ;) :)
Accountable

Reincarnation

Post by Accountable »

telaquapacky wrote: Writings proposed as Scripture that teach things inconsistent with Bible we know are rejected as apocryphal (a fancy word for fake or uninspired). Then someone comes along and calls them "lost" and claims that the Roman Catholics or someone deep-sixed them for some sneaky reason. Reincarnation is a concept foreign to Judeo-Christianity as taught in the Bible. Any supposed "lost" scripture that teaches reincarnation is not a document of the same religion as the Bible and doesn't belong associated with it. Maybe some other religion lost their reincarnation scripture. It wasn't the folks that brought you the Bible.

Does the Bible actually speak against reincarnation?
rainbowsmiles

Reincarnation

Post by rainbowsmiles »

No, it doesn't. I've read both the Concordia Self-Study Bible and the King James Bible and nowhere in the scriptures does it refer to reincarnation as being non-existent. I personally think that many of the scriptures could point to reincarnation when the church has called it the "afterlife." Who is to say the afterlife only had to do with going to heaven?

I think that is whats difficult about reading the bible in itself. We all interpret the scriptures differently (hence, all the different religions in the world) - even in the Catholic church there are 3 or more branches that broke off from the original church. Martin Luther interpreted the scriptures differently and so he started Lutheranism. (I'm babbling now - sorry!)

But no, I've never read a scripture that spoke against or implied reincarnation didn't exist but then someone else could probably read the same bible and find it says something different. I just personally think that Jesus's teachings could all lead to reincarnation, I think most of us were just raised to believe that Jesus's teachings implied that we die, face judgement, go to heaven or hell (or pergatory) and live again depending on how many sins we committed and how sorry we were.
telaquapacky

Reincarnation

Post by telaquapacky »

Accountable wrote: Does the Bible actually speak against reincarnation?To prove that something is not in the Bible requires one to quote the entire Bible. I personally don't believe in "Proof texts" (though I spout them all the time). You really can't prove anything from the Bible, which, as Rainbow says, is why there are so many denoms. Hebrews gives a hint, but even it is a generalization not true in every case.

Hebrews 9:27

Just as a man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment

(having said that, there are people who died more than once. Jesus' friend, Lazarus died twice, Dorcas a.k.a. Tabitha, the deaconess from Joppa (Acts 9:40) died twice, the son of the widow of Nain (Luke 7:15) died twice)

Here's my opinion (just what you wanted to hear:wah: ) We die, we're dead.

Pas 146:4

His breath goeth fourth, he returneth to his earth, in that very day his thoughts perish.

Eccl 9:5,6

For the living know that they shall die, but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love and their hatred, and their envy is now perished; neither have they any portion forever in any thing that is done under the sun.

We are totally asleep or unconscious in the grave until the resurrection

Daniel 12:2

Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake; some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt

Isaiah 26:19

Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in the dust; for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead

Psalm 16:9,10

Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh shall also rest in hope

For Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt Thou suffer Thine holy one to see corruption. (meaning, methinks, that Jesus would spring out of the tomb before His body started to decay)

1 Corinthians 15:51, 52

Behold, I show you a mystery; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump; for the trumpet shall sound and the dead shall be raised incorruptable, and we shall be changed.

It's more complicated than that, and there are beaucoups more verses to share- neither you nor I have the time-. My little theory cuts across the tradition of most of the Christian Church- because most people like ghost stories, and they believe that you have in you a naturally immortal spirit that goes whoop-whoop-whoop! up to heaven, or Neeeaaaoooww! Splat! down to hell when you die.

Actually, I believe that from the moment you die, to the resurrection, you yourself would experience no time gap in between (like "Boy, I hope he gets back here before my clothes rot away!"). In death there's no sensation of the passing of time. Maybe that's where that "absent from the body, present with the Lord" stuff comes from. Ask the apostle Paul for me when you see him.

Sure you can use Bible verses to construct any one of a number of cosmologies, soteriologies, escathologies, fuggedaboudit- whatevah! I just think the one I mentioned above seems to jibe with more of the sumtotal verses in the Bible simultaneously without much crow-baring, compared to the traditional view. But forget me, I'm just a lamppost- what do I know?:-6

So- someone quote some verses that support reincarnation- and not from any "lost" books, please. Make a total fool out of me, I deserve it.
nvalleyvee

Reincarnation

Post by nvalleyvee »

Here's my opinion (just what you wanted to hear ) We die, we're dead

Welcome to my world...............
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
rainbowsmiles

Reincarnation

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I love discussing religion because everyone has such different views on it and it is always interesting to hear what people believe and why they believe that way! Thanks for sharing :)

Return to “The Library”