Hitchhiker's Guide

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: she did think it strange to wear a balaclava in august, she followed you and got a good look at your features when you took it off to mop your brow behind the car maintenance section!!!:wah:

Okay, okay, Betty. I'll admit it. My cunning plan backfired (as well as my car, yes!). Just please don't tell anyone. :yh_shhhh

(But HG is very, very good :D I think I'll have to renew it. Regularly. :sneaky: )
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

:yh_rotfl I love you guys!

The only problem I find with women is that I wish I had one of those Babel fish of my own. :wah:
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

I've just been given the evil eye. No more FG for me till morning. Sorry.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

[QUOTE=Accountable

The only problem I find with women is that I wish I had one of those Babel fish of my own. :wah:

No you don't, acc. According to Adams it has caused more bloodier wars than anything else created. And it caused a problem for God. Although it would come in useful occasionally when Mother goes off on one of her "theia said I. I said theia, theia, I said" jaunts. She hasn't read HG and I'm trying to persuade her to give it a go. Hey, member no 5?? :yh_idea
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

I'm falling behind! Where are we? what's going on? I kind of feel like I'm in hyperspace. :~
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

"Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I didn't listen."
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

I still say we should ask spirit Mother to join. She could probably contribute a chapter of her own. And it would be just as amusing.
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

My copy came in the post this morning, how much catching up have I got to do??
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Betty Boop wrote: My copy came in the post this morning, how much catching up have I got to do??
Not sure. Past chapter 7 I'm certain. My schedule got messed up the last couple of days. Where are you at Theia?
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: Not sure. Past chapter 7 I'm certain. My schedule got messed up the last couple of days. Where are you at Theia?

End of chapter 7.
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: End of chapter 7.
Let's shoot through chapter 10 today. It's only 10 more pages.

RESISTANCE IS USELESS! :wah:
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: Let's shoot through chapter 10 today. It's only 10 more pages.

RESISTANCE IS USELESS! :wah:

After the day I've had, you could have said chapter 327 and I wouldn't have argued. :yh_sigh :yh_tired
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Oh, don't talk so, Theia.

What's going on (or have you posted it somewhere else already)?
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: Oh, don't talk so, Theia.

Am I totally confused again? I think I might be.

Anyway, glossing over that...I'm reading it (them) now
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: Am I totally confused again? I think I might be.

Anyway, glossing over that...I'm reading it (them) now
The smileys you put in your post looked sad, that's all.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Right! I'm back on course...(sorry, I wanted a "I am befuddled from my day" smilie but had to settle for a sigh and a tired which didn't work at all)

The first few pages I found uninspiring, all the probability and improbability stuff. It was probably :wah: amusing but way beyond my bewildered and overworked brain this evening. But then and it's a big THEN Marvin appeared. Marvin, the depressed robot who doesn't much like smug, self satisfied doors and who says despondently to everyone "I'm not getting you down at all am I?". A robot with a brain the size of a planet and no job satisfaction! Brilliant! And the SCC got what was coming to them! "Plastic pal who's fun to be with" indeed!

Just wondering, is this going to be a nuisance for Betty if she's just starting the book?
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Her problem. She's a big girl. :wah:
LottomagicZ4941

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

theia wrote: I bought HG (well, the trilogy in four parts) a couple of weeks ago but I know I won't begin it until the book club starts. So when are we starting?

Book? I thought this was going to be about the movie.

Bought a couple of the Hitchiker Books from my brother and actually read them before giving them to him.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/?sponsor=Z4941

MagicZ4941A 1-877-526-6957 ID Z4941A

PS Thought of the day if God wanted us to ues the metric system Jesus would have had 10 deciplies:)
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

Accountable wrote: Her problem. She's a big girl. :wah:

...:p
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: The first few pages I found uninspiring, all the probability and improbability stuff. It was probably :wah: amusing but way beyond my bewildered and overworked brain this evening.
If that's true then my brain's overworked as well.:-2

theia wrote: But then and it's a big THEN Marvin appeared. Marvin, the depressed robot who doesn't much like smug, self satisfied doors and who says despondently to everyone "I'm not getting you down at all am I?". A robot with a brain the size of a planet and no job satisfaction! Brilliant! And the SCC got what was coming to them! "Plastic pal who's fun to be with" indeed!
I definitely will make sure that my first robot does not have the human personality option. :wah:
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

Theia, are you saying HG is boring???:-3
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Betty Boop wrote: Theia, are you saying HG is boring???:-3
That one chapter is so twisted it's hard to follow. The rest is great fun!
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

No Betty, not at all. So don't think you're getting out of it that easily!! :) It was just a couple of pages that I was reading that I couldn't quite absorb. Then it returned to its hilarity and its brilliance. (I'll let you know the page numbers of the bits I found less easy to relate to and you can skip them)

Have you begun it yet?
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: No Betty, not at all. So don't think you're getting out of it that easily!! :) It was just a couple of pages that I was reading that I couldn't quite absorb. Then it returned to its hilarity and its brilliance. (I'll let you know the page numbers of the bits I found less easy to relate to and you can skip them)

Have you begun it yet?
Don't tell her the pages. She might think that's the funniest part. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be funny.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

You see, I must have been befuddled earlier. I thought you meant that I had posted my HG comments somewhere else. And then I thought, oh no, I've been muddling the threads and I felt mortified that someone had been forced to tell me. :o

Tomorrow WILL be better :-3
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: No Betty, not at all. So don't think you're getting out of it that easily!! :) It was just a couple of pages that I was reading that I couldn't quite absorb. Then it returned to its hilarity and its brilliance. (I'll let you know the page numbers of the bits I found less easy to relate to and you can skip them)

Have you begun it yet?

Not yet, was planning on having an early night and read in bed!:wah:
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

So what chapter are you both on now???

I've made it to chapter six
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Not sure. 10-12? What do you think so far?
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

Accountable wrote: Not sure. 10-12? What do you think so far?

ok, I suppose, but I'm not finding it gripping!!!
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: So what chapter are you both on now???

I've made it to chapter six

end of chapter 11
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Oh well, I guess book clubs just don't work well online. I didn't even finish the book. Had to send it back to the library. :(
chonsigirl

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by chonsigirl »

AC, do not be discouraged about the book club, it is a great series of books to read. You need to recheck it out!
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Oh I read the books years ago. I meant the online book club as an endeavor.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: Oh well, I guess book clubs just don't work well online. I didn't even finish the book. Had to send it back to the library. :(

My apologies, Acc. I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't know whether to post something or wait for somebody else to post. And I can't find a "sorry" smilie!
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: My apologies, Acc. I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't know whether to post something or wait for somebody else to post. And I can't find a "sorry" smilie!

Did you read it all Theia??
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

No, not yet. But I expect to finish it. I think it's a brilliant book.

What about you, Betty?

The dvd is being advertised on television but I don't want to see it until I've read the book.
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: No, not yet. But I expect to finish it. I think it's a brilliant book.

What about you, Betty?

The dvd is being advertised on television but I don't want to see it until I've read the book.

Finding it hard work, but I keep forcing myself to keep reading!!
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: Finding it hard work, but I keep forcing myself to keep reading!!

Which chapter?

Do you think we can persuade Acc to borrow it again from the library and start afresh? :-3
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

* Halted from just tipping the first shovel of dirt into the grave *

What's that?
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Which chapter?

Do you think we can persuade Acc to borrow it again from the library and start afresh? :-3

I'm on Chapter 14, or do you mean which chapter did I find funny?:-3

I don't know, you up for it AC?
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

I definitely can't be expected to be the disciplinarian of the group, seeing's how I can't get myself to read my own assignment. :o

But I'm definitely in!
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Oh that's brilliant. Book club resurrected.

(Only, would you mind waiting for me to reach chapter 14?? :-5 Sorry!)
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

Accountable wrote: I definitely can't be expected to be the disciplinarian of the group, seeing's how I can't get myself to read my own assignment. :o

But I'm definitely in!

So are you going to get it out again??:-3
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Oh that's brilliant. Book club resurrected.

(Only, would you mind waiting for me to reach chapter 14?? :-5 Sorry!)

hehehe and theres me thinking I must be way behind!! you've made my day Theia!!!:-6
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

I'll hit the library tomorrow!

Theia, Betty can back up. Let's start now. What're your thoughts?
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

I'll have to pop in here later, my children are due back from their Dads any minute, so i need to spend some time with them before they go to bed.

What chapter are you on Theia??
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Betty Boop wrote: hehehe and theres me thinking I must be way behind!! you've made my day Theia!!!:-6

It's called "procrastination" and I'm its mistress! I mean, why do today what you can do tomorrow? But, fear not, :yh_bigsmi, I shall be at the end of 14 by tomorrow. (I think that is probably still called procrastination :confused: )
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Right, I'm reading now - chapters 12 and 13.

I'll be back...
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Chapters 12 and 13:

Zaphod Beeblebrox (otherwise known as Phil, to Arthur, after ZB made a brief visit to a party in Islington), a computer with feelings, and another speaking door? It gets better.

I'm supposing it's because, aside from the author's ability to create fantasy, he also manages to make the characters very "human" with all the weird and wonderful traits we all have - even Zaphod with his two heads. There's a certain amusing ordinariness even amongst the most weird of scenarios and people. And this enables the reader to relate to the characters.
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

ok, I've recapped on capters 11, 12 & 13.

I have to say I like 'I'm not getting you down at all, am I? - Marvin' :wah:

Return to “The Library”