Hitchhiker's Guide

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

I'm a slug. I'm never going to get this book read unless I'm forced, so let's get this book club started.

I'm sure others have read the book recently? I read it years ago, and I'm finding it almost new. I love the way Adams uses word twists and such in his humor.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

I bought HG (well, the trilogy in four parts) a couple of weeks ago but I know I won't begin it until the book club starts. So when are we starting?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

About an hour and a half ago. :D Sorry, I've never been in a book club and have no idea how it goes. You?
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Okay that's not completely true. Teaches4Life gave me some pointers, but I'm still not experienced.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: About an hour and a half ago. :D Sorry, I've never been in a book club and have no idea how it goes. You?

Never and no idea. Perhaps we've missed it?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

I'm sorry, I was unclear. I'm starting it. since it's us, then it's us what makes the rules. Let's call it The Us Rules of Online Book Clubs.

Rule #1: We make it up as we go along.

Rule #2: Any subsequent rules may be modified on the fly.

Rule #3: Any disagreement about subsequent rules or modifications shall be settled by referring to Rule #1.

I adapted our house rules that are on a plaque in the kitchen. :D

All in favor type AYE.
chonsigirl

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by chonsigirl »

Aye!

aye, yi, yi, yi.........I'm thinking the Fritos Bandito.................
Majenta

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Majenta »

AYE!

H2G2 rules :D
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

How vote you, Madame Minister Theia?
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

sorry...

Aye
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

No apologies! that's the rule ... for the moment.

Okay, clubbies, how are we gonna do this? A chapter a day? More? Less?
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

I've just read chapter 1 and chapter 2 is only 3 pages. I'd be happy with a chapter a day, or 2 if one is very short.
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: I've just read chapter 1 and chapter 2 is only 3 pages. I'd be happy with a chapter a day, or 2 if one is very short.
It's been almost an hour with no other suggestions so, as the rules clearly state, that's what we'll do. Chapter 1&2 today 3 & 4 tomorrow.

I just love the destruction crew. That's the way so many bureaucrats are. In the absence of written instructions, and some cases in spite of them, a strong personality can pretty much do what they want. If given instructions, however, no amount of good sense will sway them from following orders.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: It's been almost an hour with no other suggestions so, as the rules clearly state, that's what we'll do. Chapter 1&2 today 3 & 4 tomorrow.

I just love the destruction crew. That's the way so many bureaucrats are. In the absence of written instructions, and some cases in spite of them, a strong personality can pretty much do what they want. If given instructions, however, no amount of good sense will sway them from following orders.

My hero is Ford Prefect (a "nicely inconspicuous" name). A hero who doesn't understand sarcasm. This is my very first reading of HG and it promises to be hilarious. I love its style and humour.
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: My hero is Ford Prefect (a "nicely inconspicuous" name). A hero who doesn't understand sarcasm. This is my very first reading of HG and it promises to be hilarious. I love its style and humour.
I was probably 10 or 12 pages in before I realized his name wasn't Ford PERfect! :wah:
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: I was probably 10 or 12 pages in before I realized his name wasn't Ford PERfect! :wah:

I didn't have that problem because I remember the old Ford Prefect car. And of course that made it even more amusing to me.
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: I didn't have that problem because I remember the old Ford Prefect car. And of course that made it even more amusing to me.
AAAHhhh Allusion! Makes even more sense now. :wah: Kind of like watching a Naked Gun movie and catching the background jokes.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

I'm having great difficulty keeping up with everyone's comments. :yh_sweat Could we possibly slow it all down a bit and give the older members of the book club time to marshal their thoughts and post their comments. It could, I suppose, be made into a rule? :-3

Thank you.

:) :)
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

Ooooppss it's begun without me!!!

Still waiting for my copy!! No worries I'll soon catch up with you all (all 2 of you anyway!!) :wah:
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Finished reading Chapers 3 & 4 Theia?
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Almost...
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

He can actually write humorously about towels!! Largish ones from M and S! That is just so brilliant.

Loved the PA from the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council (nothing has changed when it comes to Planning).

But strangely couldn't relate to the characters in chapter 4. Well, not yet. Perhaps I missed the humour? Or maybe I want to get back to Arthur and FP to whom I feel I can relate...
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: He can actually write humorously about towels!! Largish ones from M and S! That is just so brilliant.

Loved the PA from the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council (nothing has changed when it comes to Planning).

But strangely couldn't relate to the characters in chapter 4. Well, not yet. Perhaps I missed the humour? Or maybe I want to get back to Arthur and FP to whom I feel I can relate...
I know what you mean. I was both frustrated for the guy and laughing at the situation! :wah:

I believe chapter 4 is just setting something up later.

Y'know ... just in case this isn't fiction, I think I'll keep a towel handy.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Acc, is a book club a book club with just two people? (the others don't know what they're missing. The book is getting funnier and more ridiculous by the chapter). Just wondering...
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Uh, let me check the rules & bylaws. ....

According to rule #1, we are indeed a club! Are we doing Chapter 4 and 5 or just 4 today?
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

I've read both, just now.
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Are you more a Vogon or a Dentrassis?:D
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Me? A Vogon? No! I don't sit on gazelle-like creatures and snap their backs just for the fun of it. I'm no Galactic Civil Servant. And I'm not thoroughly vile (usually).

Definitely a Dentrassis. Well, excluding some of their less desirable routines.

A two word entry for earth! That puts us into perspective, I must say.

And don't you just love Teasers? Adams is a genius.
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

theia wrote: Me? A Vogon? No! I don't sit on gazelle-like creatures and snap their backs just for the fun of it. I'm no Galactic Civil Servant. And I'm not thoroughly vile (usually).

Definitely a Dentrassis. Well, excluding some of their less desirable routines.

A two word entry for earth! That puts us into perspective, I must say.

And don't you just love Teasers? Adams is a genius.
Definitely alot of fertilizer in that brain. :sneaky:
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

So for tomorrow, chapter 6 & 7 or just 6?
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Don't mind, your choice...
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

They're short. Let's do both.
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

:yh_rotfl You two sound like an old married couple!!!

I'll catch up with you when I get my hands on a copy!!!
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Betty Boop wrote: :yh_rotfl You two sound like an old married couple!!!

I'll catch up with you when I get my hands on a copy!!!
I guess that fits. I'm not old, but I'm married a long time. :wah:
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Accountable wrote: I guess that fits. I'm not old, but I'm married a long time. :wah:

I'm the old one :-1

Well, Betty, if someone would else would only join us on this thread. We're chuntering away, just the two of us, because every one else has dropped out! :(

And it's a really good book and very amusing :yh_giggle
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: I'm the old one :-1

Well, Betty, if someone would else would only join us on this thread. We're chuntering away, just the two of us, because every one else has dropped out! :(

And it's a really good book and very amusing :yh_giggle

I will join you, just got to get a copy!!!

Then we'll make it a threesome!!:wah:
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

I luv being me! ;)

Don't you have a public library?
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Don't you have a public library?

Do we Betty?
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Don't you have a public library?

Do we Betty?

Yes, it's just up the road from me, but I can't find my membership card! If I get up early enough tomorrow I'll go and re-register!
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

See, Betty, you're book club member no 3 now!
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Aw heck. we'll have to take roll tomorrow. :D
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

jackie wrote: I just bought all four in one. Everywhere I post where there is a book discussion, this book is brought up and it seems to be well liked. I think I am one of the few who have not read it. So count me in.
Great! Jump in. We're only about 60 pages in.
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Hello Jackie. Good to hear you're joining us. That makes 3 and possibly 4 if Betty gets to the library today.
Accountable

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Accountable »

Betty's imagination is nimble enough. She could probably join in without even reading. :wah:
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

Accountable wrote: Betty's imagination is nimble enough. She could probably join in without even reading. :wah:

Ha ha!!!!

the good news is I made it to the library before they shut today, the bad news is their ONE copy is out on loan!!!:wah:

You beat me to it Theia!!!:-1
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

Oh damn, you noticed! I saw you in my rear view mirror as I sped away clutching the last copy of HG :wah:

(well not "sped" exactly. More like "spluttered")
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: Oh damn, you noticed! I saw you in my rear view mirror as I sped away clutching the last copy of HG :wah:

(well not "sped" exactly. More like "spluttered")

:yh_rotfl

Ha, thought that was you, took down your number and the snooty librarian gave me a good description!!;)
theia

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by theia »

You mean she could see me through my balaclava? :confused:
Betty Boop

Hitchhiker's Guide

Post by Betty Boop »

theia wrote: You mean she could see me through my balaclava? :confused:

she did think it strange to wear a balaclava in august, she followed you and got a good look at your features when you took it off to mop your brow behind the car maintenance section!!!:wah:

Return to “The Library”