Go Set a Watchman - Harper Lee

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
spot

Post by spot »

The world's about to get a slap across the face, apparently. Several hundred million children must have been set To Kill a Mockingbird as a school text, and suddenly their walls are about to crumble.

Go Set a Watchman has just gone high on my list of books for the next month, much to my surprise. I wonder whether it will get as much attention as a school text as the earlier book did.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Having only read the reviews, I am not quite so committed to the book as you seem to be.

I read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in the 60s, but not a as a school project. It was on the unapproved list in my school library in those days.

I am thinking that I should read it again, before the "Watchman" to get a fresh perspective.

An interesting study would be on how the Finch of Watchman grew from the Finch of Mockingbird.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

They are some interesting reviews of the book, it is quite controversial in the portrayal of Atticus. I know we had a discussion of it last week with our school librarian while in meetings. I had read somewhere Harper Lee was against publishing it and that is why it sat unpublished so long, until the first novel was accepted. I will read it when I come back from vacation and read everyone's comments.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

"An interesting study would be on how the Finch of Watchman grew from the Finch of Mockingbird."

I've read a review, and from that review, I'm not sure Finch "grows".
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

People, real non fictional people, are complex.

Why shouldn't Atticus be aggrieved by injustice, yet not want black neighbours ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bruv;1482653 wrote: People, real non fictional people, are complex.

Why shouldn't Atticus be aggrieved by injustice, yet not want black neighbours ?

There was an American saying: In the South, the whites don't care how close blacks are, as long as they don't get too big. In the North, the whites don't care how big blacks get, as long as they don't get too close.

I find that apropos to your comment.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Most of the White Abolitionists were all for freeing the slaves, but didn't really want them living next door.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Nothing really changes. Nimbys everywhere, in all things.
spot

Post by spot »

The book should be in the shops tomorrow. The Kindle price is only pennies different from the discounted hardback, I've not seen that happen before.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “The Library”