Books we have not, so far

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
spot

Post by spot »

I put a title into Amazon, following up Snowfire's mention of Holborn Bars. The architect had two brothers and a wife. One founded Price Waterhouse, one founded a still-active City solicitor practice, and his wife Elizabeth Waterhouse published (alongside much poetry) a utopian novel set a hundred years in the future, "The island of anarchy; a fragment of history in the 20th Century". It's been reprinted. I might.

Amazon felt I might also like to consider buying the Kindle copy of "Island Prince (Siren Publishing Classic ManLove)", the cover of which is quite startling and involves one bed, few clothes and no women. Do they have access to my browsing history, I wonder, or was that just a guess on their part.[1] "Brash young drifter Jude Taylor travels to Anarchy, an all-male resort for vampires, to take a job as a blood servant to the powerful Prince Marius of Styria", with a one-click download button right next to it. They are, I fear, somewhat adrift. Amazon, that is, not Jude and Marius. I have closed the tab for fear it might buy itself.

[1]: I'd been browsing small Greek holiday island resorts. Whatever you were thinking, stop thinking it!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The recommends, of course are based upon what you have recently searched for. It would be interesting to know more about how that search routine actually works.

Recommended for You

Here is the latest recommendations they offer me.

The Human Evolution Coloring Book

Adrienne L. Zihlman, Carla J. Simmons

(22)

Paperback: $13.95

Why recommended?

If a Pirate I Must Be...: The True...

›Richard Sanders

(45)

Hardcover

Kindle Edition: $9.99

Why recommended?

Zombies!: An Illustrated History of...

›Jovanka Vuckovic, Jennifer Eiss

(10)

Paperback: $16.19

Why recommended?

Vampires, Burial, and Death: Folklore...

›Paul Barber

(9)

Paperback: $21.16

Why recommended?

Racial and Ethnic Relations

Joe R. Feagin, Clairece Booher R Feagin

(15)

Hardcover

Kindle Edition: $72.44

Why recommended?

Sorcery And Shamanism

›Donald Joralemon

(3)

Paperback

Why recommended?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1480326 wrote: Vampires, Burial, and Death: Folklore...

›Paul Barber

(9)

Paperback: $21.16

I bought that after seeing a review in the New Scientist, as a Christmas present for my nephew. It's well worth reading. I'd thought it was the year it was first published but searching their site, the only mention I can see is dated 1995. It's definitely the same book:

In his book, Vampires, Burial and Death, Paul Barber, a research associate at the Fowler Museum of Cultural History at the University of California, Los Angeles, describes how European folk tales of vampires often sprang from hysterical peasants who had witnessed normal postmortem changes in exhumed bodies. Instead of corpses wasted by death - they found plump bodies, stained red faces and an unbearable stench. The bloody fluid seeping from the mouth, forced out from the ruptured lungs by gas pressure, was taken as a sure sign that the undead had been feeding on the living.

The Way of all Flesh: 01 April 1995 by Laura Spinney

Magazine issue 1971.I was sure they reviewed the book itself in time for Christmas 1990 though.

Maybe it was The Independent.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

what I though even more interesting is that all of those recommendations are claimed by Amazon to the due to my purchase of

Humankind Emerging, by Bernard G Campbell.

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Time to Eat the Dog?: The Real Guide to Sustainable Living: Amazon.co.uk: Robert Vale, Brenda Vale: 9780500287903: Books

Somewhere there must be someone I can buy that for Christmas.

Return to “The Library”