Nutter Nurse to Sue Stephen King

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

evidently this woman thinks she's the nutjob from "Misery"...there's a distinction! LOL........

Woman Sues Stephen King Claiming She's 'Misery' Character

POSTED: 3:34 pm EDT June 8, 2005

A freelance writer is suing celebrated author Stephen King because she claims to be the real Annie Wilkes from King's best-seller "Misery."

AP

Stephen King

That's according to a report Tuesday posted on "Celebrity Justice" online, which obtained a copy of the lawsuit filed by Anne Hiltner of New Jersey.

According to "Celebrity Justice," Hiltner claims "invasion of privacy" in the suit because the book's main character, "Psycho Nurse Wilkes," is a caricature of her.

"Misery" became a movie in 1990, which earned Kathy Bates a Best Actress Oscar for her portrayal of Wilkes.

In the film, directed by Rob Reiner, Wilkes nurses her favorite writer Paul Sheldon (James Caan) to health at her remote country house after he suffers major injuries in a car accident -- but doesn't intend for Sheldon to leave because she's obsessed with the writer and his characters.

"Celebrity Justice" also reported that Hiltner filed a similar lawsuit over King's television mini-series "Kingdom Hospital," claiming the character, "psychic Sally Druse" is also based on her.

The site did not specify what sorts of damages were sought in the suits.

King's attorneys told "Celebrity Justice" that Hiltner sued King before -- but lost -- claiming his novel "Riding the Bullet" was plagiarized from her brother's manuscript.

Plus, she reportedly filed a previous lawsuit against King over "Misery," claiming plagiarism of her own writings, but that suit was dismissed, the site said.

Several of King's best-selling books and stories have gone on to become movies, including "The Shining," "Christine," "The Body" (which became "Stand By Me), "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" (which became "The Shawshank Redemption") and "The Dead Zone."
valerie

Post by valerie »

Oh please!!

I hadn't heard about this.

Sounds like a nuisance lawsuit to me!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

What a bubblehead. :-5
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

well that's the whole point, she SAID she's a wacko! LOL! :yh_drool
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

It's pretty obvious that this moron has no writing talent of her own, so she has to make up crap like this.

Maybe it's a marketing ploy? Eh, she's still a bubblehead.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Return to “The Library”