What are you reading now?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Jives

Post by Jives »

gmc wrote: just about to start the "Absolution Gap" by Alastair Reynolds who I've never heard of but won the British Science fiction awards .

Very cool! I'll have to try that one! I go to the Used Book store. You can get ten books there for two dollars.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Jives

Post by Jives »

Lance 626 wrote: I just finished rereading "the Time Machine " H.G. Wells.when I first read it (I was about 14) I thought it was the best thing ever, now its just o.k. sort of "preachy" wells was trying to make a point, rather than tell a (better story) well thats my rant for the day.:guitarist

Try War of the Worlds, Lance...I thought it was better than the movie, and that's saying something.

I'm trying desperately to find time to do some Science Fiction Writing. I've got four more stories in the works, and they are great, but with three jobs and a sick wife, I never seem to have the time!

If anyone here is new and wants to check out my stories here at ForumGarden, just click these links:

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3437

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3367
ghost ship in a storm

Post by ghost ship in a storm »

"Filth" by Irvine Welsh. Got over the fact that it's written largely in Scottish dialect by almost hearing myself say the words as they appear on the page (people who've read any of Welsh's work might know what I mean?...)
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I'm reading Heart Health cooking.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Am beginning That Old Ace in the Hole by Annie Proulx for an October 10th Book Club discussion of the book.

Reading for a book discussion is a first for me, and I am finding it difficult to begin.

Should I take notes? notes on what?????? What do they discuss?

Just reading for my own pleasure is one thing. Thinking about sharing what I read with others who have also read it is very different from just telling a friend about a good book.

Any thoughts............
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am alternating between "1776" by David McCullough and "The World is Flat" by Thomas L Friedman.
pina

Post by pina »

Minette Walters ... The Shape of Snakes.

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Elizabeth I by Allison Plowden
Jives

Post by Jives »

"Battlefield Earth" by L. Ron Hubbard (for the 4th time)

"Malevil" by the Robert Merle (for the 6th time)

"Earth Abides" by George Stewart (for the umpteenth time)

Classics every one. Read one of these, you'll thank me.:D
Jives

Post by Jives »

Ach! You harlequin, you! Shame, shame, I know your name...hussy!:wah:
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

Swapping between The Spartans and Maximum Bob
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
EmeraldPrincess

Post by EmeraldPrincess »

I am reading Gone with the Wind (very interesting) and Missing: When the Lightening Strikes - Meg Cabot ... I love her books. They are just so light-hearted and relaxing.
Southern Belle

Post by Southern Belle »

I've found a terrific series - HARD CASE CRIME. Very pulp-fiction, noir-ish. Some are reprints of out of prints and some are brand new. The latest is THE COLORADO KID, written by Stephen King for HARD CASE CRIME.

Awesome artwork on the covers, too :cool:
Lon

Post by Lon »

The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman---------This is absolutely a fantastic read for all computer users.
CountryDweller

Post by CountryDweller »

The Five People You Meet In Heaven...by Mitch Albom
HelenA

Post by HelenA »

SnoozeControl;155540 wrote: I just finished "A Breath of Snow and Ashes" by Diana Gabaldon. If you aren't familiar with the series, then its nearly impossible to describe it without it sounding inane. Its sort of a romantic time travel story, with lots of historical background on the 1700s in Scotland, England and a very new America. Its not one of those bodice busters (no offense to people that like those) but its very sexy. This is the last book in the series and it ties everything up very nicely.

Has anyone else read the series?

I haven't heard of this but it sounds fascinating! I'll have to get it out of the library. Have you read the time travellers wife? It sounds like it may be similar but not having read yours it might not be!!

H

xx
theia

Post by theia »

"What the Bleep Do We Know" by Arntz, Chasse and Vicente

and rereading "The Mastery of Love" by Don Miguel Ruiz
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

I'm half-way through Roy Hattersley's "The Edwardians", he's done a fine job of scooting through the entire period in each subject-oriented chapter which fleshes out the picture as the book progresses. I'm enjoying it. Painless education.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I'm reading Sylvia Browne books, trying to decide if she's for real or not.

I'm also reading a slew of trashy women's magazines for some mindless time and I'm reading Fate magazine which I highly recommed for anyone into the paranormal or aliens.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I'm reading...this is funny due to my screen name, recieved as a Christmas gift from my mom...

"I'm not WonderWoman, but God made me wonderful" by Sheila Walsh

copied and pasted from Women of Faith website:

If anyone is surprised by joy, it’s Sheila Walsh. True, she’s been successful in many areas ― as a speaker, author, singer, and television talk show host. But she also knows what it is to battle depression and even contemplate suicide. The author of the multiple adult and children's books, Sheila’s latest, I’m Not Wonder Woman, But God Made Me Wonderful, takes an honest look at the struggles we all have with fears, anger, pain, broken relationships, and low self-esteem. Prior to joining Women of Faith as a core speaker, Sheila co-hosted television's “The 700 Club” and her own talk show “Heart to Heart with Sheila Walsh” on the Family Channel. Sheila lives in Frisco, Texas, with her husband Barry and son Christian.
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

I'm reading "Don't Try This At Home - Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs".

If you don't know anything about the restaurant business and the fickleness of chefs, this books give you the scoop. It is interesting but I'm only reading it cause it is for my Monday afternoon Book Discussion Group.

I'm not finding it all that funny.

I cannot reccommend this book.
Dynamite

Post by Dynamite »

Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons by Lorna Landvik on CDs.

The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood, physical book. Sometimes I really miss turning the pages that others have also turned (library books).
Bez

Post by Bez »

I've just finished 'BLOWFLY' by Patricia Cornwall. I read it from start to finish without stopping as it was a compelling read as are most of her books.

Anyone else like her books ?
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

Bez;519824 wrote: I've just finished 'BLOWFLY' by Patricia Cornwall. I read it from start to finish without stopping as it was a compelling read as are most of her books.

Anyone else like her books ?

Yes I do, I haven't read Blowfly, I have just bought Predator, haven't started it yet because I am in the middle of a Dean Koontz book.

Have you tried any of Kathy Reichs books, they are very similar to Patricia Cornwell's and I enjoy them too.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I am really enjoying that book on classical history, I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

Sharp Objects, by Gillian Flynn. Very compelling read so far, good effort as a first novel. The author's first-person heroine is intriguing; she has as many "issues" as any other character in the story. Dark and delicious.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

I have now started The Fountainhead. Enjoying it very much so far and am even getting a kick out of the "gee golly!"-style dialogue. It reads very much like movie dialogue from that era.

One element is somewhat unsettling; I understand that Rand was striving to create a true iconoclast in her character of Roarke, but to me he reads as a high-functioning autistic! Obviously Rand's vision of an idealized persona over-ran the characterization.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I, Rob;533055 wrote: I have now started The Fountainhead. Enjoying it very much so far and am even getting a kick out of the "gee golly!"-style dialogue. It reads very much like movie dialogue from that era.

One element is somewhat unsettling; I understand that Rand was striving to create a true iconoclast in her character of Roarke, but to me he reads as a high-functioning autistic! Obviously Rand's vision of an idealized persona over-ran the characterization.

Oh I have that book here, I must read it, I am still reading Livy, "Rome and the Mediterranean", part of his histories, which is quite interesting, its always very interesting to read books from 2000 years ago and realize very little has changed inbetween times. I am also reading a Robbin Hodd book, its a fantasy book, and its nice for some light relief from all that more serious stuff. I must get round to reading the larwence block book "small town" as I promised someone here I would.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Pinky;509170 wrote: I really liked Diana Gabaldon's series of books, I had to buy them one after the other, I just couldn't wait to find out what happened next!

I loved this series and bought them all as soon as they came out. Barbara Erskine also writes excellent time travel genre novels. I didnt like The Time-Traveller's Wife at all, but loved The Seventh Scroll trilogy by Wilbur Smith.

I like to reread books I've enjoyed but have reread them too many times and need something new. I love the whole time travel genre, can anyone recommend anything good from this genre that I might have missed?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Oh I got two new books to read, "A History of Mathematics", and another sciencey one, I am all excited! God I am such a book nerd really, oh who gives a monkeys, I'd still knock your lights out if I felt like it, (probably with a large book as well). :wah:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
cinamin

Post by cinamin »

I'm looking at a cute site for cards and stationery.

http://www.leanintree.com:-4
dubs

Post by dubs »

I'm reading about the British Armys 6th airborne divisions glider attack, on the bridges at Ranville on D-Day. It's written by Stephen Ambrose, who wrote Band of Brothers.

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..

Return to “The Library”