What are you reading now?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Porpoise

Post by Porpoise »

What book are you reading now?

I am reading Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. It's very good so far.
DANGER!I drive like you do.
BTS

Post by BTS »

Great read Porpoise, I heard rumors they were thinking about remaking.......

I just finished Big Russ and Me : Father and Son: Lessons of Life By Tim Russert........

Inspiring

"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
David813

Post by David813 »

Reading "Abu-Jihad; Portrait of a Freedom Fighter" by Abdullah Hasan. Great book on his war with the Zionists all the way to his murder during the Jewish bombing of Tunisia in the 80's.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
RedSoxFan

Post by RedSoxFan »

ESPN the Magazine.
I try to please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow looks bad too.
David813

Post by David813 »

RedSoxFan wrote: ESPN the Magazine.You must be a REpublican.:yh_silly
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

The Broker by John Grisham and Changing Places by David Lodge (according to whether I`m reading upstairs or downstairs!) I enjoy both these books tremendously.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

Upstairs = Longitude by Dava Sobel

Downstairs = Aneid

In the bog = Sick Puppy Carl Hiaasen
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
pink princess

Post by pink princess »

attempting snobs by julian fellows but failing miserably!!

i have a book about weddings to read which under the circumstances i think i may switch to!!

(was at the pub for lunch today, out in the sun........ OMG the ring sparkled sooooooooo much!!)
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

just finished "Rough Draft" by James W. Hall..

hmmmm.. damn.. gonna have to hit the bookstore this weekend.. I think that was the last of the pile..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
spot

Post by spot »

The Legends and Myths of Hawai'i, by His Hawaiian Majesty King David Kalakaua, has been my sole bedtime reading since the start of the month. It has soporific tendencies while being informative at the same time.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedSoxFan

Post by RedSoxFan »

David813 wrote: You must be a REpublican.:yh_silly

No, incase you dont know what RSF stands for, it's sports related. I like sports, so I read about them. You like priests so you probably read about them.
I try to please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow looks bad too.
Jives

Post by Jives »

I'm reading the 50's classic:

'When Worlds Collide"

You want a blockbuster, End-of-the-World book? This is it! Hmm....I just noticed that I checked this book out of my high school library in 1977. I wonder if it's overdue yet? :o
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

Well, it depends. I am a huge history buff and really dig "what-if" scenarios so I am reading Harry Turtledove's Gun's of the South. a "what-if" the South had won the Civil War.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Jives

Post by Jives »

that's cool, Wolverine! I'm a Civil War fan too! I took U.S, Military history three times I college, and I've watched the Civil War series by PBS 12 times. I got to meet that guy who was in it too, but I forget his name.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am reading the "Psychological Implications of Chronic Nasal Excavating", Dr. Ludlow V. Von Krumcake
Jives

Post by Jives »

You're reading "Are Nose-Pickers Crazy?"

no seriously...what are you really reading? :wah:
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Dana71 wrote: Echoes by Danielle Steele
Hey, Dana....you don't find Danielle Steele a bit repetitive? I've read a few of her books, and found them all the same. That was a few years ago, so maybe she has broadened her horizons? Or you just like D.S.?

I know you don't like Stephen King, so I'm going to disappoint you and tell you I'm reading "Insomnia." Again! I love that story. I think I've read it 5 times now. :yh_bigsmi
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Jives

Post by Jives »

I like King! "Salem's Lot" blew me away, I haven't read any of his stuff since then though. What would you say is the best of the new stuff, BR? :)
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Oh, Jives, there is so much great new stuff! Way better than his old stuff, though I enjoyed most of that, too.

One of my all-time favorites of his is The Talisman. He co-wrote that with Peter Straub, and it deals in parallel universes. There is a sequel of sorts only loosely related to the Talisman, called Black House, that was also very good. Insomnia is a really cool story, a bit tamer than most of his stuff, more surrealistic than gory.

Dreamcatcher was ok, but not one to start out with if you want to get back into King.

Bag of Bones was one of his best, but I highly recommend The Talisman to everyone who shows even a flicker of interest in King. It's told from the perspective of a 13-year old boy who has to save his mother from cancer, and discovers a parallel universe. Really cool. The part of the story with Wolf makes me cry even though I've read it 9 times. (Yes, I am trying to give you enough info to just tweak your curiosity, so you go get this book!) If you get it, let me know what you think, Jives!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Ireland, a novel by Frank Delaney.TimeWarner books

www.frankdelaney.com:-6
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Im reading FROM CRADLE TO GRAVE by Joyce Egginton its the story of Marybeth Tinnings -she should have been burnt at the stake .sarah janexx
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
spot

Post by spot »

pantsonfire321@aol.com wrote: Im reading FROM CRADLE TO GRAVE by Joyce Egginton its the story of Marybeth Tinnings -she should have been burnt at the stake .sarah janexxI've seen some fierce literary criticism in my time, but immolating the author is going too far!

I remember a BBC documentary, years ago, about livestock feed contamination in Mitchegan, for which she was consultant. She seems quite sober and good at research.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Sorry im confused , i was talking about Marybeth Tinnings the baby killer being fryed not the author . SJXX

spot

Post by spot »

Perhaps "who" instead of "she", then?

There seems to be a tendency in some quarters to regard mental illness as irrelevant when it comes to punishment. Surely feeling sorry for all concerned is a more appropriate conclusion to this story?
pantsonfire321@aol.com

You can feel for this woman`s mental state while i will keep my sympathy for the nine dead babies thankyou very much .

greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
koan

Post by koan »

Trying to reread Hermann Hesse's "Magister Ludi" but you people keep interrupting with your darn questions! :)
spot

Post by spot »

That, Koan, is a seriously wonderful novel.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Jives wrote: You're reading "Are Nose-Pickers Crazy?"

no seriously...what are you really reading? :wah: I am re-reading U.S. Grant's autobiography---a truly great read if you like history, also halfway through "Ticktock" by Dean Koontz.
persephone

Post by persephone »

I've just gone on a reading frenzy and am now on the third book of Laurell K. Hamilton's "Merry Gentry" series.

Beginning to agree with my house mate that she isn't the best creative author. I have read all of her "Anita Blake, Vampire Slayer" series to date and they have turned into erotic novels more and more... Although there is a thin link in the story between sex, magic and power. You have to wonder if there really needs to be so many sex scenes in the book for it to work or if she is seriously running out of ideas.

The "Merry Gentry" series is much the same, the story just makes me want to find out what is going to happen next though, even though I find myself skipping large sections that are recaps from the previous books.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

I have run out of new stuff so I am now rereading "To Kill a Mockingbird" for the gazillionth time, who cares I still love it to death. In addition I think it was one of the films of a book that was pretty much as I imagined it.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

BR Peter Straub one of the most underated writers, Floating Dragon a great book. The Talisman was just brilliant as was Shadowland.

His book Ghost Story actually had the hairs on the back of my neck stood up in 100deg heat on a beach in Corfu many years ago, I was frozen to the bone, it was actually made in to a film starring Fred Asatire of all people.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

I`ve just started the book THE MOTHER FROM HELL by Wensley Clarkson it`s the true story of Theresa Jimmie Knorr who killed two of her daughters because she was jealous. she forced her sons to torture drug and then burn one girl alive before starving the second to death. SJXX

valerie

Post by valerie »

Walking to Vermont by Christopher S. Wren

On deck: Between A Rock And A Hard Place by Aron Ralston

In the hold: Bloodsworth, The True Story Of The First Death Row Inmate

Exonerated By DNA

:yh_glasse
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

valerie

Post by valerie »

Just finished The Long Goodbye by Patti Davis, a very appropriate

read just before Father's Day.

About 3/4ths of the way through Beautiful Jim Key by Mim Eichler Davis.

Story of a horse who was called "Educated" and could get change

out of a cash register, spell, add, subtract, etc. This is not the horse

you may have heard of called Clever Hans, this is a different one and I

hadn't heard of him before!

Next up: The Perfect Mile by Neal Bascomb

It's about runners finally breaking the four minute mile barrier.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

gmc

Post by gmc »

Just finished "The Last Kingdom" by Bernard Cornwell-about the Danish invasion of England and am just about to start the "Absolution Gap" by Alastair Reynolds who I've never heard of but won the British Science fiction awards which may or may nt bode well. They seem to go for worthy tomes full of relevant social comment rather than anything enjoyable. Thank goodness for libraries, the number of books I am glad I didn't buy.
busydoin'nothing

Post by busydoin'nothing »

The Sign of The Book by John Dunning. Nice, easy, sit by the summer garden type of read. :-6

Sundancer Farms
Lance 626

Post by Lance 626 »

I just finished rereading "the Time Machine " H.G. Wells.when I first read it (I was about 14) I thought it was the best thing ever, now its just o.k. sort of "preachy" wells was trying to make a point, rather than tell a (better story) well thats my rant for the day.:guitarist
telaquapacky

Post by telaquapacky »

Just finished a book by a Christian attorney named Lewis Walton called "The Lucifer Diary," which tells the story of human history to the end, through the eyes of the devil. (Sort of similar to C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters," but in a more prophetic way)

Before that, I read Steve Wohlberg's "Day of the Witch," an expose of the effects of the Harry Potter book craze on young people, leading them into witchcraft and the occult.
Look what the cat dragged in.
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am reading "Ghost Soldiers" , an epic account of the greatest rescue mission of WW2. The current movie "The Great Raid" was based on this book.
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

JAB wrote: I'm about to start reading "Angels and Demons". Kinda going backwards though since I've already read "The DaVinci Code".

I liked both those books! I read them in "backwards" order too. It doesnt matter! WHat do you think?

HBIC
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

I am reading The Princes of Ireland (The Dublin Saga) by Edward Rutherford. Just finished In COld Blood for the millionth time. I love that book alot.

HBIC

Return to “The Library”