Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
spot

Post by spot »

I think perhaps I may go to the cinema in a few weeks and see what they've made of it.

The book was impossible to put down, the seven-hour BBC adaptation was TV in a class of its own, I even enjoyed Simon Russell Beale when Radio 4 dramatised all eight George Smiley novels. This film has a lot to live up to.

I have high hopes. John Hurt, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch and Ciarán Hinds all in the same film? That's an amazing cast.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I've found all of John le Carré's books hard to put down and that IS a great cast. Have you watched Cumberbatch in "Sherlock"? Fun stuff.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I've never read him, should I?

Maybe next time my children are at his place they should ask him to recommend one :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1369025 wrote: Have you watched Cumberbatch in "Sherlock"? Fun stuff.The both of them. And Mark Gatiss showing off as Mycroft too. Him as plays Doctor Watson plays the lead in The Hobbit if you leave the inestimable Sir Ian aside.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1369026 wrote: I've never read him, should I?Other than being a mere forty years late to the party? Definitely. The entire concept of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold is more true and more relevant now than it ever was, it's prescient. It's astonishing that he wrote it in 1963. As a reasoned criticism of the cold war it constituted bravery too. I wonder what else there is from around then which took that line.

Return to “The Library”