Steppenwolf

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
koan

Steppenwolf

Post by koan »

Gosh, I've been "reading" this book for ages! Hermann Hesse is my favourite author but, for some reason, I'm having the hardest time getting through this one. It's his best known work, too. I ended up deciding to underline the sections of paragraphs that I thought were most important and that's helping me to focus. At this point I'm starting to think I'm a Steppenwolf and having trouble dealing with it. :wah:

At any rate, I can certainly see a lot that applies to my life right now so I'm glad I haven't been able to read it for so many years. The right book at the right time.
AussiePam

Steppenwolf

Post by AussiePam »

One of my favourite books, Koan!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

koan

Steppenwolf

Post by koan »

I think it'll be on my list as well, when I finally finish.

Wonder what the bourgeoisie think of it though? :wah:
AussiePam

Steppenwolf

Post by AussiePam »

I liked Siddhartha (which was written before Steppenwolf, wasn't it?) But I'm fascinated by German culture between the wars - expressionism, Freud, surrealism, cabaret, the androgynous - Mann, Brecht, Kafka, Rilke, Klee. Before the rise of Nazism, though I guess the seeds of it were ticking away. By that time, Hesse was in Switzerland. I must reread Steppenwolf.

For Madmen Only!

AussiePam

Steppenwolf

Post by AussiePam »

'Siddharta' was on recently in dance form at the Paris Opera Ballet. Might that go on tour to Canada? I saw some write-ups which looked interesting.

Paris Opera Ballet: Siddharta

Return to “The Library”