The Aeneid

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Bothwell

The Aeneid

Post by Bothwell »

Had to read this at school and hated it at the time although latin has actually paid off. The latest version I brought had an introduction that just makes you want to read it.

"Out of the Ruins of Troy strode a warrior, he was carrying his father on his back and led his young son by the hand"

Wow, now THAT is writing, 25 words long and just leaps out and grabs you.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
lady cop

The Aeneid

Post by lady cop »

if you are reading that in the original latin i am going to throw myself off card sound bridge! :yh_love
Bothwell

The Aeneid

Post by Bothwell »

nimirum EGO sum quam alius would is fio :D
lady cop

The Aeneid

Post by lady cop »

Bothwell wrote: nimirum EGO sum quam alius would is fio :Dyou damn straight better call me up right this minute and tell me what that means! :p
gmc

The Aeneid

Post by gmc »

If he's reading it in Greek you know he went to public school.

Away ana bileyer heidus ye preten tious tossesaurus. :D
Bothwell

The Aeneid

Post by Bothwell »

GMC I recognize that immediately as Scots/viking, a dialect reserved solely for the insulting of the English, a harmless but widespread sport north of the Border.

It is my curse to be blessed with body of a greek god and a brain the size of a small planet but so be it, now I am going back to my own little world from whence i came.
gmc

The Aeneid

Post by gmc »

Actually I'm jealous, it's one of the books I always intend to read instead of just bits (in translation I might add) I was on Malta last year where the cave odysseus was supposedly shipwrecked, kind of brings it all to life amd makes you appreciate the small scale of the ancient world we know about. Nust have been so much more going on.

Return to “The Library”