Amy Tan

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Porpoise

Amy Tan

Post by Porpoise »

Have you read any of her books?

The Joy Luck Club is one of my favorite books of all time. I am currently readingThe Kitchen God's Wife and it is wonderful so far. After I finish that book I am going to read The Hundred Secret Senses

The way she writes is absolutely beautiful! :-6
DANGER!I drive like you do.
lady cop

Amy Tan

Post by lady cop »

i almost NEVER read fiction, but i did read her books. quite good. she is a lovely writer. :)
along-for-the-ride

Amy Tan

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I also enjoyed The Joy Luck Club, the book as well as the movie. Amy Tan is a great writer IMO. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Porpoise

Amy Tan

Post by Porpoise »

feelthepulse wrote: I had to study Amy Tan's work last year for my GCSE English Literature course. Initially I enjoyed her work but when you have analyse, re-analyse, examine and make notes on a book you start to enjoy it less. Unfortunatley Frankenstein, the Mayor of Casterbride, Translations, Death of a Salesman, Much Ado about Nothing, The Canterbury Tales and countless others have been ruined for me in the same way... Having to toatally strip a novel or play down and analyse speech etc spoils it. Books should be read and enjoyed, having to study them destroys that.

I definitely agree with you about books should be read and enjoyed and not analyzing them. For example, I have read The Grapes of Wrath and Great Expectations on my own and I loved them! Everybody else I knew hated those two books because they had to discuss it in class. Analyzing the works ruins the magic of the books..
DANGER!I drive like you do.

Return to “The Library”