The Time Travelers Wife

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Raven

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by Raven »

I dont know if it is because I am in love with my husband, or because I am simply a woman who believes in soul mates, but this book was impossible to put down.

Even though I knew inevitably it would make me cry, as these stories usually do, I loved having my heart broke by this book!

I have not seen the movie, but the book is a must read for all those hopeless romantics out there! :rolleyes:
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
AussiePam

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by AussiePam »

I bought the book the other day. Haven't started it yet. The film has just been released in Australia. Another great Raven thread!!!! You rock !!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

chonsigirl

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by chonsigirl »

It is an excellent book.
along-for-the-ride

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I've also read the book and enjoyed it. A good love story. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
AussiePam

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by AussiePam »

I have three in my main reading pile right now

I'm half way through a quite different book called "Girls of Riyadh" - ever wanted to see what modern Saudi Arabian girls from the top rich class actually do get up to - then this is your book...

Girls of Riyadh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then my next book club meet in early October is reading "A Fine Balance" - guess I better get going on that one.. looks good but fairly hefty

A Fine Balance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And third in the pile is "The Time Traveller's Wife"!!

O, and I did find a copy the other day of the Hugh Laurie novel "The Gun Seller". It will be very interesting to see how much Blackadder or Dr House creeps into that.

The Gun Seller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those should keep me out of mischief for a while.

pinkchick

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by pinkchick »

I have The Time Travelers Wife on my book shelf to read. I'm looking forward to reading it coz I'm a huge fan of love stories :-4

Pam .. I also just ordered "Girls of Riyadh" :D
Very nearly perfect ... :D
AussiePam

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by AussiePam »

pinkchick;1247667 wrote: I have The Time Travelers Wife on my book shelf to read. I'm looking forward to reading it coz I'm a huge fan of love stories :-4

Pam .. I also just ordered "Girls of Riyadh" :D

I'll be very interested to hear what you think of that Pinkchick. I can't put it down. So glad you ordered it. I saw a reference to it in Paris Match, and found a copy in my local bookstore.

By the way - I note in your profile that you liked the movie 'Chocolat'. Joanne Harris has apparently written a sequel called "The Lollipop Shoes*" - I fell over a copy in a second hand bookshop at the beach last Sunday. Vianne is back!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... ldron.html

(*In America it is titled "The Girl with no Shadow")

Raven

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by Raven »

Oh I just could'nt put this book down! I guess the concept of it just grabbed my imagination! :-4

Who has read The Lost Symbol yet? I was thinking about getting it, but would like a review first.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
minks

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by minks »

It is on my "must read" list :)

Hey have you read the Outlander series, by Diana Gabaldon? You would love the series, I see the latest one has just been released too, time for Minks to start the series all over again, I think she is up to about book 8 in the series.

Happy reading :)
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
viatqua

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by viatqua »

This is an interesting discussion. thank you for sharing

Good post. I appreciate it

Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
LINK HAS BEEN REMOVED.
G-man

The Time Travelers Wife

Post by G-man »

I read this back March and it was a page-turner! I had a few illusion-of-reality issues with a few things, but she held my interest with all of the cliff-hangers and the fact that the locations in her novel were precise. I lived in Chicago for a number of years and in fact lived two houses down from the apartment complex where the main character Claire lived, I used to run by that building on my way to catch the Brown Line downtown everyday. So you can imagine how vivid scenes of this novel were for me! :D

The novel had very romantic aspects, but yet here was a woman with a man who was rarely there... they were soulmates in the fact that despite his illness, as that's what it was, she still remained with him.

The ending lacked much of the romance, as he never visited his soulmate for decades after his physical death. It just left me asking... why did he wait so long to visit her and why was he only visiting his time-travelling daughter during all of those years? I'm surprised, from all that I've been reading about writing as a career, that she ended her debut novel on such a minor note.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “The Library”