Yorkshire

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Ozay

Yorkshire

Post by Ozay »

Just been reading about the history of Yorkshire recently. I find it fascinating as i can relate to the places they mention as i have been through some of the places of my bike this year. In the middle ages rural districts were known as Wapentakes and there was lots of them with unusual names like: Dickering! and Hang West and Claro. It has certainly opened my eyes i never knew there was a Birdforth and Buckrose near Ryedale but now it makes sense as there used to be a Buckrose hotel in Norton-on-derwent. The East and North Ridings were seperated by the river derwent so Malton was in the North and Norton in the East ridings. Most villages and towns had Manor courts were villagers would attend meetings to discuss local meetings and if they didn't attend they faced being fined. Until the 17th centuary Yorkshire was fairly agricultural in the industry but there was coal mining near Pickering and in the vale of York before 1600 for a while and the fishing at Whitby and Scarborough that went on for hundreds of years in a big way. At one point in time there was mass industry in Yorkshire mills and mines throughout West and South Yorkshire. People worked a lot harder in times gone by and the atmosphere was one of disicipline if you were poor you could have ended up in a Workhouse they began in the middle ages.
Kathy Ellen

Yorkshire

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ozay;1232372 wrote: Just been reading about the history of Yorkshire recently. I find it fascinating as i can relate to the places they mention as i have been through some of the places of my bike this year. In the middle ages rural districts were known as Wapentakes and there was lots of them with unusual names like: Dickering! and Hang West and Claro. It has certainly opened my eyes i never knew there was a Birdforth and Buckrose near Ryedale but now it makes sense as there used to be a Buckrose hotel in Norton-on-derwent. The East and North Ridings were seperated by the river derwent so Malton was in the North and Norton in the East ridings. Most villages and towns had Manor courts were villagers would attend meetings to discuss local meetings and if they didn't attend they faced being fined. Until the 17th centuary Yorkshire was fairly agricultural in the industry but there was coal mining near Pickering and in the vale of York before 1600 for a while and the fishing at Whitby and Scarborough that went on for hundreds of years in a big way. At one point in time there was mass industry in Yorkshire mills and mines throughout West and South Yorkshire. People worked a lot harder in times gone by and the atmosphere was one of disicipline if you were poor you could have ended up in a Workhouse they began in the middle ages.

Hi Ozay,

I think that it's great riding your bike throught all the old and forgotten towns and villages of your area. I love going on adventures like this and often just jump into my car during the summer months and just drive and explore. Sometimes I'm gone for days just exploring an area.

I visit Ireland quite often as my rellys live there. I won't drive a car in Ireland but will go on a walkabout or bike ride for hours through all the old towns.

Why don't you start a journal and talk about all your adventures as you're discovering these areas and maybe take some pictures.

I would love one day to visit your beautiful villages, but unfortunately have only been to Hollyhead and London a few times.

Have fun:-6
Ozay

Yorkshire

Post by Ozay »

Thanks for your response to this thread. I haven't really got the devices to take photos then put them onto a computer and can't afford to anyhow with being out of work at the moment and as far journals...well i would rather just keep a few informed. I can add u to my friend list then tell u when i go off places.
Kathy Ellen

Yorkshire

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ozay;1232398 wrote: Thanks for your response to this thread. I haven't really got the devices to take photos then put them onto a computer and can't afford to anyhow with being out of work at the moment and as far journals...well i would rather just keep a few informed. I can add u to my friend list then tell u when i go off places.

Sounds good Ozay...have fun on your adventures:-6

Return to “The Library”