Demian

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
koan

Demian

Post by koan »

another Hermann Hesse book.

I read this when I was a teenager and only recalled that the narrator discovers that he belongs to a group that is more than human. Different. They had a mark that set them apart.

On the rereading I think it's a sweet story, in a young, philosophical way. I believe in some of what it says and, as usual, Hesse delivers some fascinating insight into human nature. It just has a bit of supernatural twist that, despite my history, didn't sit well with me outside of the range of fiction.

There's always a character you identify with in a good book. It wasn't the narrator or Demian. I actually think I identified with the ideal feminine character and the pathetic, altruistic drunkard. I'm not sure how those combine but, perhaps if they did, you'd get... me. :wah:

Anyway. Glad I reread it. Still putting off Steppenwolf though. It got really dry.
G-man

Demian

Post by G-man »

koan;1161834 wrote: another Hermann Hesse book.

I read this when I was a teenager and only recalled that the narrator discovers that he belongs to a group that is more than human. Different. They had a mark that set them apart.

On the rereading I think it's a sweet story, in a young, philosophical way. I believe in some of what it says and, as usual, Hesse delivers some fascinating insight into human nature. It just has a bit of supernatural twist that, despite my history, didn't sit well with me outside of the range of fiction.

There's always a character you identify with in a good book. It wasn't the narrator or Demian. I actually think I identified with the ideal feminine character and the pathetic, altruistic drunkard. I'm not sure how those combine but, perhaps if they did, you'd get... me. :wah:

Anyway. Glad I reread it. Still putting off Steppenwolf though. It got really dry.

The culmination of the two realms... I suppose that's better than identifying with Harry in Steppenwolf. :wah:

I still need to finish rereading The Glass Bead Game, which is probably Hesse's best book.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Return to “The Library”