Twilight

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
koan

Twilight

Post by koan »

My daughter made me read this series.

I think the fourth book made the first three worth reading. The film did fairly well, considering the material they had to work with. One of the biggest things for me was the author's choice of first person. She limited herself excruciatingly. I like bold moves but it can only work for a single novel. Unless the main character was there, there could be no relaying of outside events. She got even bolder by starting a switch hit perspective between the main character and one other, going back and forth as needed. It only worked on a minor level but I appreciate the inventiveness.

Beyond the perspective limitations, there was far too much use of "he was so perfect" and "his eyes were unreadable". Perfect. Unreadable. Both words that get used when you can't think of any other way to describe something... not a good sign in an author. LOL.

Anyway. They were fun books to read if you cut her a bit of slack and, if you decide to brave the series, I really think the fourth book pays off.

If any of the film crew from the movie read this: Do something about Edward's eyebrows. Really.
Peg

Twilight

Post by Peg »

My daughter liked the movie so much, she read all the books. She'd come home from school and start one and wouldn't stop until she read the whole book.
Imladris

Twilight

Post by Imladris »

I read the books and my daughter is on no 2 at the moment. We enjoyed the film too.

I think the books work well at the level at which they are aimed - teenage girls, who then fall in love with Edward and all his perfect ways! :rolleyes:

As a character I find Bella a bit drippy to start with and unable to think through the consequences of her choices, which makes her a typical teenager. She grows as the books go on and becomes stronger which I liked.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
koan

Twilight

Post by koan »

They are definitely a fun read. It's not quite the same as the Harry Potter books, which were appealing to young and adult alike. but they're fun, nevertheless.

I don't think she holds a candle to Anne Rice's vampire books, though. Rice still holds the title, for me, as vampire chronologist extraordinaire. I ended up buying the Rice series again so my daughter could compare. The Rice books aren't quite as readable for youth so I'll likely have to hold on to them for another two or three years.
G-man

Twilight

Post by G-man »

koan;1156860 wrote: My daughter made me read this series.

I think the fourth book made the first three worth reading. The film did fairly well, considering the material they had to work with. One of the biggest things for me was the author's choice of first person. She limited herself excruciatingly. I like bold moves but it can only work for a single novel. Unless the main character was there, there could be no relaying of outside events. She got even bolder by starting a switch hit perspective between the main character and one other, going back and forth as needed. It only worked on a minor level but I appreciate the inventiveness.

Beyond the perspective limitations, there was far too much use of "he was so perfect" and "his eyes were unreadable". Perfect. Unreadable. Both words that get used when you can't think of any other way to describe something... not a good sign in an author. LOL.

Anyway. They were fun books to read if you cut her a bit of slack and, if you decide to brave the series, I really think the fourth book pays off.

If any of the film crew from the movie read this: Do something about Edward's eyebrows. Really.

The plot wasn't bad... the story being written in first person, the going on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how hot Edward was got old quick, and yes I was focused on the brows throughout the entire damn movie... :wah:

Anyway, you know you're going to have to watch this over and over and over in about another week or so, Koan... ;)

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Ch0p2

Twilight

Post by Ch0p2 »

I read all the books and I watched the movie. The books were amazing and I would recommend them to anyone, but the movie was a complete joke. The actors did a terrible job. It was definitely a hard saga to put into a movie, but Twilight needs to be remade just like The Hulk.
A'

Return to “The Library”