Journey To The East

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
koan

Journey To The East

Post by koan »

I asked my daughter to buy me a bunch of Hermann Hesse books for Christmas. This is a very short one.

It was a fun read. The ending is fairly powerful, IMO. He's writing about a secret society, presumably the Freemasons or Rosicrucians. I haven't researched it online yet. It's a little bumbling, as intended, at the beginning and has the basic points, IMO, that 1) we know nothing 2) we are everyone

I liked it.
Bryn Mawr

Journey To The East

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I was particularly taken by his The Glass Bead Game - excellent writer and interesting subject.
koan

Journey To The East

Post by koan »

Glass Bead Game is my favourite book. :) I actually adapted it to a screenplay and think it works, despite all probability.

Siddhartha and Demian were the first two Hesse books that I came across. I haven't made it through all of Steppenwolf yet, though I've started a couple of times. There is quality in all his writing but Glass Bead Game is definitely his masterpiece.
Nomad

Journey To The East

Post by Nomad »

koan;1156858 wrote: I asked my daughter to buy me a bunch of Hermann Hesse books for Christmas. This is a very short one.

It was a fun read. The ending is fairly powerful, IMO. He's writing about a secret society, presumably the Freemasons or Rosicrucians. I haven't researched it online yet. It's a little bumbling, as intended, at the beginning and has the basic points, IMO, that 1) we know nothing 2) we are everyone

I liked it.

Average cost of books lets say 30 bucks. You asked for a bunch ? Did she have to work overtime to save ? Koan !
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Journey To The East

Post by koan »

Nomad;1157630 wrote: Average cost of books lets say 30 bucks. You asked for a bunch ? Did she have to work overtime to save ? Koan !

The whole kaboodle cost $30!

I got to use the word kaboodle :yh_giggle
Nomad

Journey To The East

Post by Nomad »

koan;1157632 wrote: The whole kaboodle cost $30!

I got to use the word kaboodle :yh_giggle

That doesnt happen every day.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “The Library”