Advice sought on layout and graphics

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
spot

Post by spot »

I'm pushing toward a present for my daughter which involves making a book on lulu.com and I'm stuck thinking it needs more than I've done. Be warned, anyone looking at the preview would do well to have a fast internet connection.

http://www.lulu.com/content/2590207

I'm going back to get a few more photos for the last pages. What am I screwing up on? Font, white space, variety?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I don't see anything there... what am i doing wrong?:-3
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

Waiting, probably, if you clicked Preview This Book. The webpage has to download the document before it shows the cover and lets you flip through the pages.

I just checked - you're already at the preview stage, it's just the waiting that's needed. The cover goes orange when the preview's arrived. Preview This Book shows it in a bigger window, that's all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
abbey

Post by abbey »

I just read it and loved it, your daughter will be thrilled.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

thank you sweetie!

downloading now... i love this kinda stuff!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

OK I get the first page and can view the back cover and that's it HELP Spot?? OK never mind I finally got it very nice Spot your daughter will enjoy it greatly what a wonderful memory they will both have when they read this together. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

you could always use a different (colorful?) font so that it looks like it was written by a kid. Does that make sense?? :thinking:

But it's a great gift for your daughter, I love it.
abbey

Post by abbey »

What about a picture of Felicity eating Readybrek. :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

I tell you, that child never has a hair out of place, every spoonful goes straight in and not a crumb needs brushing loose after. Except when she had the bowl of jelly and used her fingers, that was a disaster, I'm still scrubbing the floor from that episode. I'm told she got home and had to be changed hourly until dawn when the effects became fully apparent.

I've a few more pics to add before I print a copy and I think I'll drop by the zoo on Sunday to sneak up on the cassowary, we don't have one of those yet. And maybe a tarantula. And I need to throw in a lot of CD slip covers to make things easier to follow.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;963286 wrote: I'm pushing toward a present for my daughter which involves making a book on lulu.com and I'm stuck thinking it needs more than I've done. Be warned, anyone looking at the preview would do well to have a fast internet connection.

http://www.lulu.com/content/2590207

I'm going back to get a few more photos for the last pages. What am I screwing up on? Font, white space, variety?

Wow! Congratulations - that is the first thing, ever, to crash my Ubuntu system. Started to load lulu and then, bang, back to the login page.
spot

Post by spot »

Thank you Ian, that's very much what I needed.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Ian;964363 wrote: Watermarks look good, it's the little things like page numbers that make a big difference to the whole feel... eg: a little teddy bear background image for the page numbers, things like that..

It would be even better if Felicity drew the zoo animals for your book...

just little simple drawings, I will re-size and edit what you need...

I really like the idea of hand-drawn imagery.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

We're sorry, you cannot view this content.

Thats what I got spock.

I waited diligently, fed the cat, made coffee, had some tangerine juice and a cinnamon roll, took my vitamins.

And then I got that.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “The Library”