Books that you can't wait to share with your kids?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I have always loved to read. The very first chapter book I ever read was Old Yeller. Now that I'm a parent I have been buying books that I loved as a kid to share with my children when they begin reading.

I have already purchased Old Yeller, Savage Sam, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, and several Shel Silverstein books of poetry.

I also have an ongoing of list of books that I would like for my children to read.

I'm a crazy mom I know, but I want my children to love reading as much as I do.

Are there any books that you want or had your children read because you loved them?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
koan

Post by koan »

Pretty much everything by Dr. Suess. Boil that dust speck!
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Curious George?
Lon

Post by Lon »

Sheryl wrote: I have always loved to read. The very first chapter book I ever read was Old Yeller. Now that I'm a parent I have been buying books that I loved as a kid to share with my children when they begin reading.

I have already purchased Old Yeller, Savage Sam, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, and several Shel Silverstein books of poetry.

I also have an ongoing of list of books that I would like for my children to read.

Are there any books that you want or had your children read because you loved them?
I loved Moby Dick, Ivanhoe, Tale of Two Cities, Les Miserables, Don Quioxte, Robin Hood etc.-----so did the kids.
koan

Post by koan »

The Secret Garden.

I also like Trixie Belden series but Harry Potter is even better so I'll submit to modern times there.
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Dr. Suess.. , the Little Prince... everything really.. and it did payoff.. my little one is now 18.. and still reads and reads.. but of course the other teen stuff gets in there too... television.. movies.. PS2.. computers.. arrrrgh.. sometimes I so wish for the simpler times.. as my rocking chair creaks on the porch..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

You're not a crazy mom! I think it's awesome that you want to share the wonders books give us with your kids. :)I bought the entire collection of the Great Illustrated Classics for kids, and my son read them all. Now he's slowly re-reading the true versions. Pretty cool.

This brought problems of its own, though...My son is not a multi-tasker. Nor does he believe in clocks. I remember when he was about 9 years old, I was trying to rush him off to school. He was having none of it, stubbornly sitting on the couch and asking me, "Momma, was it a sin for the guy to die at the end of A Tale of Two Cities?"

"Can we talk about this after school? Where are your shoes?"

"I wanna know NOW!"

"I want you to go to school NOW!"

"My shoes?" vague look "I don't know. Did the dog eat them?"

We went round and round, and I finally called the school and said he'd be late. Between his lost shoes and his demands for a profound conversation at 7:30am....argh! I finally learned to throw a blanket on the ground when the weather was warm, and we'd have in-depth conversations about these things under the stars. In winter, we moved to my bed, so we could throw pillows at each other.

Ahhh, memory lane :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Little House on the Prarie books.
Jives

Post by Jives »

I absolutely LOVE books! I can't wait until my little granddaughters read! It's going to be a while before they are ready for the heavier stuff I like, though. (I'll start with Seuss and George too)

But Here are some of the one's that I think are a must:

"This Perfect Day" ira Levin - The story of a man out to destroy a computer that is running all of humanity.

"Malevil" - (by the guy who wrote the Day of the Dolphin") a great story of survival after a nuclear war.

"Papillon" - by Henri Chariere he escaped from Devil's Island, but that was just the tip of the iceberg.

"Journey to the Center of the Earth" - Jules Verne

"The Time Machine" - H.G. Wells

and of course....

MY STORIES!!!
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Wow you guys all have some great books for your children/grandchildren to read.

A. Karerina I think that is so neat that your son wanted to discuss the books with you; even though at times it was a bad time.

We have a large collection of DR. Suess and other childrens books thanks to my sister n law. When she cleaned out her bookcase all the childrens book came to my house.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
minks

Post by minks »

the velvitine rabbit

beauty and the beast

dr seuss indeed, go dog go, one fish two fish, green eggs and ham oh yeah I love the guy

Babar (sigh I loved babar)

The older kids

Hello god are you there it's me Margret, a must for all pre teen girls

Outsiders

Rumble Fish

Alice doesn't live here anymore
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

greydeadhead wrote: Dr. Suess.. , the Little Prince... everything really.. and it did payoff.. my little one is now 18.. and still reads and reads.. but of course the other teen stuff gets in there too... television.. movies.. PS2.. computers.. arrrrgh.. sometimes I so wish for the simpler times.. as my rocking chair creaks on the porch..
You call that a rocking chair?
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Sheryl wrote: Wow you guys all have some great books for your children/grandchildren to read.

A. Karerina I think that is so neat that your son wanted to discuss the books with you; even though at times it was a bad time.

We have a large collection of DR. Suess and other childrens books thanks to my sister n law. When she cleaned out her bookcase all the childrens book came to my house.
Got to love them family members.
koan

Post by koan »

I'm saving the complete works of Shakespeare for when she's a little older. :D
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

koan wrote: I'm saving the complete works of Shakespeare for when she's a little older. :D
You read! I'll act.
Wild Weasil

Post by Wild Weasil »

I could'nt wait until my son was old enough to enjoy 'The Wind In The Willows' by Kenneth Grahame. It is so full of really over the top characters and situations. We must have read it together three or four times, and I know he has read it by himself as well.

'Babe' is also a favourite, or at least it was, I think he's getting a little bit too old for that story now (how quickly they grow (sigh!) )
LoveMama

Post by LoveMama »

Sheryl wrote: I have always loved to read. The very first chapter book I ever read was Old Yeller. Now that I'm a parent I have been buying books that I loved as a kid to share with my children when they begin reading.

Sheryl,

Nothing crazy about wanting to share the books you loved as a child. I am a serious book collector myself mostly the Mystery Genre....but also collect old 1st ed. Children's books too.

The first book I bought my children (I have five all grown)

was "Ferdinand the Bull". Marvelous book. The second favorite book of mine......among other's was "A Tree for Peter" by Kate Seredy. It is out of print but well worth looking for. The only book I really liked by Ted Geisel (Dr. Suesse's real name) was "To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry St."

That was his first book and his best. Dr. Seuss was a jerk.......a neighbor of mine when he was living. Rude,

condescending and full of himself....I'm being mean but honest!!!! LOL

Here the the 2 top internet book sellers that I use all the time.Sometimes I think I live in this section of the internet!

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/

http://used.addall.com/

You might also like to see the Newbery Medal books for children.....and the Caldecott Medal which is given to the illustrator of the most distinguished American picture books. Here's are the list's on the internet.

http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/caldecott.html

Now....here are a few my very favorites.

"The Twenty Balloons" by Wm. Pene du Bois. I love it so much I could read it again and again. I just got a 1st ed.of it about a month ago..it was writtten in 1948 and I think won the Newbery medal. Pd. $18.00. THat was a 'find'!

''The Secret Garden" of course...and don't laugh but you might want to pick up 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" written way back in 1947 too.....by Betty Smith. You can pick a used one up cheap on Ebay.......a real first ed. with a jacket would cost you almost $3,000!

It's a warm and wonderful book.......

If you have sons......go to ebay and buy some of the old Hardy boys series. They still fun and exciting for a boy to read. Nancy Drew is wonderful and you pick up some of the late 50's copies for not much money. THey're not like the originals but young girls still love them.

Have fun......and maybe you ought to start collecting 1st edition books.....Pick an author you love....and someday they may be worth a lot of money. Forget the money. Leave them to your children some day. It's cheaper than playing the stock market.......and good first editions so up faster than the stock market!

xxxxxxoooooo

mama
Jives

Post by Jives »

Does anyone remember a book called, "Sam, Bangs, and Moonshine"? it was about a girl, her cat, and telling the truth.

or how about the classic, "Are you my mother?"
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

the princess bride by william goldman

Return to “The Library”