Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
AussiePam

Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Post by AussiePam »

Has anyone read this book, by Elizabeth Gilbert? Members of my Sydney book club are wrestling with it as I write - and the fifteen of us, so far, seem to have fifteen quite different opinions. The author is American. Our group are mostly Aussies, with a couple of English members. I'd be particularly interested to get viewpoints from American women ForumGardeners.

"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

chonsigirl

Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Post by chonsigirl »

I have not read it yet, but just went to read a synopsis of the book.

She went on a year long journey, left everything behind, and learned alot that enriched her life. Is that the main point of the book?

Does your book club discuss the choice she made-to leave home and go off on her journey of enlightenment?

I do not think we all could do such things, with some responsibilities. I try to find what inner peace I can here within the walls of my home, since I cannot travel from home for long. It would be a wonderful thing to do.
AussiePam

Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Post by AussiePam »

The theme itself is much as you've stated, Chonsi. A woman, at thirty, unhappy in her life, decides to leave it all and go on a year's journey (funded by the advance for this book) to find herself. This is chicklit plot number 4b, and like all poor girl makes good / sad girl finds herself gets love / makeover stories - is one dear to the romantic hearts of most women. And yet.... in this case....

chonsigirl

Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, there is a cliffhanger at the end of it?

It would be nice to do, she had the advantage of having the funds for it. How would a regular person do the same thing, within the scope of what they can afford? You must have lively talks about it.
AussiePam

Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Post by AussiePam »

No, no cliffhanger. She gets the Italian food and language experience she wants for herself (and loads of admiring friends there), she gets the 'god experience' she wants for herself (and loads of admiring friends there), she gets the being loved in the way she wants experience she wants for herself (and loads of admiring friends there too). Nothing wrong with any of this really - and I know an awful lot of women find her an inspiration, someone to emulate as far as they can. And yet... and yet..

Personally, I can't stand her pushy, self absorbed navel gazing.

WonderWendy3

Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Oh you have my interest now, I'll have to look for this in the book store, not sure they would have it in my local library, when did it come out?
AussiePam

Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Post by AussiePam »

2007, I think, WonderWendy. Recent.

sunny104

Eat Pray Love !!!!!!!!!!

Post by sunny104 »

I think I saw her on Oprah. :o

I'll have to get the book too. I'll read anything! :o :D

Return to “The Library”