Psst! Wanna Read Some Banned Books?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Here's a good list of banned books sorted by both title and author....

http://title.forbiddenlibrary.com/
guppy

Post by guppy »

after reading some of the titles..i am speechless....:-3i had no idea the librart censored like that...
spot

Post by spot »

They did challenge Thomas Malory though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Several of those books were required reading when I went to school.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
gmc

Post by gmc »

1984 . George Orwell. Harcourt. Challenged in the Jackson County, Fla. (1981) because the novel is "pro-communist and contained explicit sexual matter." Big Brother doesn't want people reading such things

Fahrenheit 451. Ray Bradbury. Ballentine. Ironically, students at the Venado Middle School in Irvine, Calif. received copies of the book with scores of words--mostly "hells" and "damns"--blacked out. The novel is about book burning and censorship. Thankfully, after receiving complaints from parents and being contacted by reporters, school officials said the censored copies would no longer be used (1992)

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl. Anne Frank. Modern Library. Challenged in Wise County, Va. (1982) due to "sexually offensive" passages. Four members of the Alabama State Textbook Committee (1983) called for the rejection of this book because it is a "real downer."

:yh_rotfl

Pleased to say i have read a fair number of them-no doubt that is why I am such a disturbed individual.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

that's weird! Most of those are classics now! And, I have read A LOT of those, including required reading for high school english. :)
Sapphire_Alchemist

Post by Sapphire_Alchemist »

I've read a few of these books before I had learned that they used to be banned (and maybe still are in some places). I find it so sad that people feel the need to ban books just because they hold views that are different, or just aren't accepted by current society. I am completely against banning books. My reasons: books are banned because some people find their contents disturbing or offensive, well, define disturbing and offensive? One persons definition will differ from anothers, so why ban something that someone else may find acceptable? You can't please everyone. There's always gonna be someone who disagrees. My belief is that books are only written for those who are gonna enjoy them, so if a book offends you, then it WASN'T WRITTEN FOR YOU. Don't read it. Don't ban it. Just put it down and look for something else to read.

A big deal with a lot of people today are religous or atheistic type of books. Please people: you love God and are against evil things, and that's fine. But stop trying to place bans on stuff like Harry Potter, Da Vinci Code, or the Golden Compass. If you don't want your children to read them, then go ahead and avoid those books (or movies) like the plague - but stop trying to ruin our fun (not everyone's religious ya know). And atheists - there are people into religion, so you're just gonna have to live with it whether you like it or not. If you don't like God or anything religion-themed, then just stay the heck away from it - how hard can it be?

Mind you, there should be SOME restrictions, like not allowing x-rated materials in grade schools, or publishing "how-to-make bomb" books (does anyone disagree with me on that?)

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this. I just feel very strongly about this subject.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Sapphire,

I agree with everything except the part about bombs. I know it's crazy but I don't believe in censoring anything. I think all literature should be available to everyone. Most people aren't going to make bombs, they're just curious how they work, and the crackpots who do want to make them will find a way even if they can't get their mitts on a book. I used to buy books from a company called Loompanic's (anyone else?) as they carried books on all sorts of intriguing and often illegal stuff, such as making bombs, changing your identity, offshore banking, tax avoidance, fleeing the country, gruesome medical books and books on wars and books on anarchy, etc etc. I quit when I found the government was keeping tabs on who bought what from Loompanics. I don't need the government snooping on what I read. I guess for me, the freedom to read anything one wants to and to gain knowledge about anything under the sun is an institution in my eyes. It's a piece of freedom. Just my take on it. :)
Sapphire_Alchemist

Post by Sapphire_Alchemist »

Hi RedGlitter:)

Very well said, and I agree. Knowledge should be free for everyone, and not government controlled (otherwise the government may use censorship to control the people). Even still, while most people won't make bombs, books that show how to make them should still be monitered. I know that people who make them are gonna do so no matter what - whether it's legal or not - but why make it easy for them? It's like saying that drug addicts are gonna use drugs anyway, so why not make them legal? Or that smugglers are gonna smuggle stuff in anyway, so why not lay off on the security some and make it easier? Don't get me wrong though, I have been curious about the inner workings of a bomb, but having that type of knowledge isn't really necessary. Having or not having that knowledge will neither aid nor hurt me (but I guess the same thing can be said about reading fiction books :lips:). Well, my point is that while nearly all censorship is wrong, it still wouldn't benefit people - as a whole - if dangerous books were made too easily accessable.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

As an avid reader. I had to follow your link and read the list. Many of the book I have read and was quite amused, but also troubled, that they were listed as banned. Were the banners attemptimg to protect the public from life?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
johnW

Post by johnW »

Amazing seeing some of the books that have been banned.. I never would have guessed.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Lady Chatterly's Lover?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I think the last two books banned in Australia allegedly exhorted young Sydney Muslim men to jihad and provided tips on blowing things up.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

spot

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;759505 wrote: there is one partically awsome book that is still banned :D written in the eighteen hundreds I read a lot of it on line and it really is a sexual no bars held book.

I cant think of the name of it just now ..can anyone help out?

Venus in Furs by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch?

Still banned by whom?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “The Library”