Fiction vs Non Fiction

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
koan

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by koan »

what percentage do you read of each?

I think I read about 95% non fiction.

There are still a number of classics I haven't read. I might start working my way through the existentialists.
minks

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by minks »

koan;691514 wrote: what percentage do you read of each?

I think I read about 95% non fiction.

There are still a number of classics I haven't read. I might start working my way through the existentialists.

i would say I am about 50/50 I like both and sometimes non is stranger than fiction
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
koan

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by koan »

minks;691516 wrote: ...sometimes non is stranger than fiction
:wah:

how very true!
RedGlitter

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by RedGlitter »

I'd say I read 90-95% nonfiction. Mostly historical stuff. I'll read the occasional novel and I devour poetry but still...mostly nonfiction here.
PerfectAngel

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by PerfectAngel »

about 50/50, although I prefer fiction.
koan

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by koan »

I find I go on author kicks so, for example, I'll read whatever I can get by Noam Chomsky, then find something else and read whatever I get by that author.

I do that with fiction as well. I just did a Hermann Hesse fiasco about 6 months ago.
RedGlitter

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by RedGlitter »

I have a thing for Ann Rule true crime books. She completely draws me in and I will read a book or even two a night but I find after two books I have to go to my happy place because I lose my faith in humanity with all these crackpots killing each other. But she's definitely a good read.
Mystery

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by Mystery »

I do that as well koan - get stuck on one author, although I primarily read fiction. RG - I have never read Ann Rule, and have been looking at a few of her books - they seem to always come highly recommended.
chonsigirl

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by chonsigirl »

I read mostly nonfiction, but do like to spend my summer with lots of the recent fiction novels.
The Rob

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by The Rob »

Can't give a percentage but when the subject matter/plot appeals I'll read it. Some of the best reads are those fictional pieces that incorporate non-fiction elements, such as The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer and the Ramses series by Christian Jacq.
Marie5656

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by Marie5656 »

I am about 80 to 90% fiction. It depends on what I am in the mood for, though. I am mostly suspense and mystery fiction. Non fiction varies on what type of info I want.
cinamin

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by cinamin »

I prefer fiction, although I am reading a non-fiction book now.

raptures_music

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by raptures_music »

I don't care much for nonfiction unless it's about something/someone I'm interested in. I think about 90% of my personal library is fiction, and a good portion of that is fantasy from the teen/young adult section. My favorites are the classics, though.
"Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
Kindle

Fiction vs Non Fiction

Post by Kindle »

I previously read only fiction. It was my escape.

Then a couple years back I decided to branch out from the mysteries and vampire books I had immersed myself in to non-fiction, but had a hard time finding selections that were exciting and interesting to me.

To solve this problem, I joined a Monday afternoon book discussion group at a local college (it was lead by the director of a library) as the selections were both fiction and non-fiction. Through this I sort of found my way into the non-fiction books and find I really enjoy them alot. I could almost say I enjoy them every bit and more than fiction now.

Currently I now read approximately 70% fiction to 30% non-fiction, but the non-fiction reading is becoming more enticing all the time.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1

Return to “The Library”