Hey Neffy

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hey Neffy.... Are we still having our book club? I just bought the book you wanted to start with... Maeve Binchy's "Quentins." Looks interesting...all about a Dublin restaurant that has a memory about wedding proposals, business deals, family ties and friendships.

I'm starting it now before school starts. A good day for it.....pouring rain here...good day for ducks and books:-6
pinkchick

Hey Neffy

Post by pinkchick »

Kathy Ellen;683032 wrote: Hey Neffy.... Are we still having our book club? I just bought the book you wanted to start with... Maeve Binchy's "Quentins." Looks interesting...all about a Dublin restaurant that has a memory about wedding proposals, business deals, family ties and friendships.

I'm starting it now before school starts. A good day for it.....pouring rain here...good day for ducks and books:-6

Kathy that's one of my choices for my holiday:-6
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Carl44

Hey Neffy

Post by Carl44 »

Kathy Ellen;683032 wrote: Hey Neffy.... Are we still having our book club? I just bought the book you wanted to start with... Maeve Binchy's "Quentins." Looks interesting...all about a Dublin restaurant that has a memory about wedding proposals, business deals, family ties and friendships.

i did not know they could read :D
pinkchick

Hey Neffy

Post by pinkchick »

jimbo;683034 wrote: i did not know they could read :D

:rolleyes::wah:
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

pinkchick;683033 wrote: Kathy that's one of my choices for my holiday:-6

That's great Pink,

Maybe we can make up some questions and topics as we go along. Looked on the net for a book club guide for this book and couldn't find it.

Hope you have a fab holiday...where are you going if you don't mind me asking.
Sheryl

Hey Neffy

Post by Sheryl »

There's a several of her books that go along with Quentins. Tara road and The Scarlet Door are a couple I can think of.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
pinkchick

Hey Neffy

Post by pinkchick »

Kathy Ellen;683039 wrote: That's great Pink,

Maybe we can make up some questions and topics as we go along. Looked on the net for a book club guide for this book and couldn't find it.

Hope you have a fab holiday...where are you going if you don't mind me asking.

I'm off to Portugal Kathy:-6:D
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Sheryl;683043 wrote: There's a several of her books that go along with Quentins. Tara road and The Scarlet Door are a couple I can think of.

That's good to know Sheryl......my sis just told me that some of the characters in Quentins are also in those books. Can't wait to begin the book later on today. I love to read but find it hard to find spare minutes during the school year. So, I now pick a book and read one chapter before bed and it works....get through a lot of books that way.
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

pinkchick;683044 wrote: I'm off to Portugal Kathy:-6:D

Are you serious Pink, I adore Portugal. Drove my family crazy in 1999 to travel there with me. We visited Lisbon and took the train to Cascais and Estoril. We then spent most of our time in the Algarve in a resort near Faro. Before coming home, we drove through the south of Spain to Gibraltar and took a hydrofoil across to Tangiers.

This was one of my best holidays. Hope you have lots of fun listening to fado music.....ahhhh, Dulce Ponte. I'll be with you in spirit.
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Good news Angel....let's get busy reading. Now, where's Neffy....our host.
littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

Post by littlemissgiggle »

:-1I don't have that book otherwise I would join in,

when are you thinking of starting it?

i will see if i can get my hands on it.
littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

will do Thank you,

I have maeve binchy's scarlet feather but not that one.
neffy

Hey Neffy

Post by neffy »

hi everyone.................yeah it is great to see so many here yes lets start with the quintins,AE lets us know when you get yours then we will start,i am so looking forward to this guys xx
The rottie queen
pinkchick

Hey Neffy

Post by pinkchick »

neffy;683233 wrote: hi everyone.................yeah it is great to see so many here yes lets start with the quintins,AE lets us know when you get yours then we will start,i am so looking forward to this guys xx

Can I join in????? :-3:-3
littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

and wait for me ......................................................... :yh_wait

hoping to get it by the weekend :yh_idea
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Good to see more people wanting to talk about books. We'll start when everyone has the book. Let's think of questions to ask and topics related to the book.
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

pinkchick;683044 wrote: I'm off to Portugal Kathy:-6:D

Hey Pink,

Left a message for you in this thread about Portugal....not sure if you read it.....are you going to any of these places?

Have a wonderful holiday.
pinkchick

Hey Neffy

Post by pinkchick »

Kathy Ellen;684482 wrote: Hey Pink,

Left a message for you in this thread about Portugal....not sure if you read it.....are you going to any of these places?

Have a wonderful holiday.

I missed it Kathy - sorry about that..... I'll PM you as I don't want to hijack your thread anymore;):wah:
littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

I have got my -

Maeve Binchy - Quentins

book, i found it in the charity shop oxfam about 2 hours ago for 99p :p

I will start mine tonight, i really can't wait I have never done a reading club before it will be good to find out everyone's thoughts. :-4

xxxx

Giggle :D
pinkchick

Hey Neffy

Post by pinkchick »

littlemissgiggle;685266 wrote: I have got my -

Maeve Binchy - Quentins

book, i found it in the charity shop oxfam about 2 hours ago for 99p :p

I will start mine tonight, i really can't wait I have never done a reading club before it will be good to find out everyone's thoughts. :-4

xxxx

Giggle :D

Hey sweetie:-4

How are you?
littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

I feel so much better today, I think yesterday was one of those feel sorry for myself days where I just let everything get on top.

But I woke up this morning and thought right then I am going to start a fresh new day happy. :-6

I am really looking forward to the book club, quentins will be the first one i have read from Maeve Binchy's collection but I have a feeling I will fall in love with her and want to read all her books, just like Marian Keyes, when I was at the charity shop i bought her - Angels, book.
pinkchick

Hey Neffy

Post by pinkchick »

littlemissgiggle;685272 wrote: I feel so much better today, I think yesterday was one of those feel sorry for myself days where I just let everything get on top.

But I woke up this morning and thought right then I am going to start a fresh new day happy. :-6

I am really looking forward to the book club, quentins will be the first one i have read from Maeve Binchy's collection but I have a feeling I will fall in love with her and want to read all her books, just like Marian Keyes, when I was at the charity shop i bought her - Angels, book.

Glad you're feeling a lot more positive sweetie.

If you want another Meave Binchy reccommendation - The Glass Lake is fantastic.:D
AussiePam

Hey Neffy

Post by AussiePam »

Ah Portugal !!!!!!!! I shall get out the fado, Kathy, and wail along.

Neffy - I'd love to join your book club too, if you'll have me.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

neffy

Hey Neffy

Post by neffy »

of course pam and pink you are most welcome and anyone else who wants to join in.I am starting mine this week end so shall we say meet up here again in 3 weks time please let me know if you want more time.So that will be round about the 15th of sept.Happy reading peeps love neffers:-4:-4:-4
The rottie queen
AussiePam

Hey Neffy

Post by AussiePam »

15 September - yeah..... can do that - !! and thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-6

:sneaky:

pinkchick

Hey Neffy

Post by pinkchick »

Neffy I won't be back until 17th September but I'll post my thoughts when I return:D
AussiePam

Hey Neffy

Post by AussiePam »

Got the book - my first ever Maeve Binchy - and read chapter one last night, slurping a glass of good aussie red ... Nar, I'm giving away NOTHING !!!!!

neffy

Hey Neffy

Post by neffy »

i started reading last night,but fell asleep:wah: i know giggle is on chap 2 i hope AE has got her book and kathy is also enjoying it.Do you know this is something that i have always wanted to set up being it like what i am doing now or a book club on the estate where i live.

Happy reading xxx
The rottie queen
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

"Neffy's Book Club"

Book One "Quentins" by Maeve Binchy

Thought of some general discussion questions that we might think about as we read the story.

1) Did you enjoy reading Quentins? If you have read any of the author's other books, how does this compare?

2) What is the book's message?

3) How did you feel about the characters? Whom did you like or not like and why?

4) What did you think of the ending?

5) In a movie version, who would play what parts and why?

6) How did you feel when the characted did or said...How do you think the character felt when she did or said....?

7. What do book reviews say about this book or the author?

8. What moral/ethical choices did the characters make? What did you think of those chocies? How would you have chosen?

9) What effects do the events(time, nationality, physicality) have on the character's self or personality?

10) What character would you like to hang out with??? Where and Why?

Add some questions.............
neffy

Hey Neffy

Post by neffy »

thats great kathy,i am so looking forward to seeing how everyone felt about the story,have you started it?:D
The rottie queen
littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

I am just at the end of chapter 4,

but i can not and i repeat can not put this book down,

I was reading it until midnight last night it just wouldn't let me go :wah: :thinking:
Kathy Ellen

Hey Neffy

Post by Kathy Ellen »

littlemissgiggle;686312 wrote: I am just at the end of chapter 4,

but i can not and i repeat can not put this book down,

I was reading it until midnight last night it just wouldn't let me go :wah: :thinking:

Hey Giggles, That's great...can't wait to discuss the book. Don't ya just love a good book:-4
AussiePam

Hey Neffy

Post by AussiePam »

:D

Good questions, Kathy!!!

I belong to an Asian bookclub and our next book is Rudyard Kipling's "Kim". I picked that up and browsed a bit, then put it down and headed back into Quentins.

neffy

Hey Neffy

Post by neffy »

i am going to start it tonight,if i can stay awake :wah: i cant wait for the next choice of book who ever wants to choose feel free:-4
The rottie queen
littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

I am on chapter 11 now :wah:

should I put my breaks on :thinking:

its just too addictive :wah:
AussiePam

Hey Neffy

Post by AussiePam »

Some of us have finished, and are now in mischief having mona lisa type last words in tlw

littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

AussiePam;692217 wrote: Some of us have finished, and are now in mischief having mona lisa type last words in tlw

Have you finished it Pam

:-6
AussiePam

Hey Neffy

Post by AussiePam »

Yes. And enjoyed it very much LMG!!

littlemissgiggle

Hey Neffy

AussiePam;692307 wrote: Yes. And enjoyed it very much LMG!!

not too long to go now, i am just at The Molluscs bit :-6
AussiePam

Hey Neffy

Post by AussiePam »

Terrific! I'll have a proper look at the questions suggested by Kathy Ellen after the weekend. :sneaky:

Here's one for Neffy

I'm sure the name of the doggie is Quentin - which ties in with the subject matter of this thread....

:D

neffy

Hey Neffy

Post by neffy »

OMG pam that is really lovely have copied it and it will now be my new sig
The rottie queen
AussiePam

Hey Neffy

Post by AussiePam »

Glad you like it, Neffy!! Grin.

I understand the kind people of ForumGarden are taking up a collection for me - as I write - a "therapy fund". Something in my past must be triggering this Mona Lisa compulsion. Harsh potty training, or maybe the fact my Mum tried to stop me climbing gumtrees, which, Down Under, is cruel and unnatural and liable to warp the developing single blonde neuron into half-smiling inscrutability. And limerickal expression.

All donations may be sent to the Pam and Neffy south sea island resort fun fund and are tax deductible.

Return to “The Library”