The unbearable lightness of being

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Have you read it?

What effect did it have on you, if any.
JacksDad

Post by JacksDad »

"Only necessity is heavy, and only what is heavy has value."

It is not the fear of falling, but the soul's defense against the desire to fall. Tomas wanted to fall.

The unbearable lightness of being. Isn't it?
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

You know when the dog died? it looked up at her with devotion in its eyes that she knew she would never see or feel that truth again?

Well i was on the bus & tears were running down my face, i swear a piece of my heart was ripped right off right there & then. Everybody on the bus was staring at me, i just couldent pull it together.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I read it years ago, I can't remember it all that well now to be honest, I do remember thinking it was a wonderful book when I did read it though, I also read the wedding party by himself, thats a good book as well. It was interesting when I was in Prague to see a lot of the places that he references in his books. Czech writers and poets are generally quite interesting in their take on things, I think its got something to do with the czech national character, which is a little off-beat. :thinking:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Do you recommend 'the wedding party' as a good read then Gal?

I have to be honest - the pain i felt when that dog died has scared me from reading any of his other works, maybe because my own pupster was 14 at the time & i knew she did not have long to go & maybe it just hit a nerve at that time :thinking:
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

buttercup;678315 wrote: Do you recommend 'the wedding party' as a good read then Gal?

I have to be honest - the pain i felt when that dog died has scared me from reading any of his other works, maybe because my own pupster was 14 at the time & i knew she did not have long to go & maybe it just hit a nerve at that time :thinking:

Oh I would say so, he is always worth a read I would say, though I don't think its a classic in the way that "The Unbearable Lightness" is, still, yep, shame I don't have it myself anymore I don't know what I did with my copy of it.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Return to “The Library”