Scotland, afore and syne

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
spot

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by spot »

I've just finished a book my daughter dropped on me with an instruction to read it, The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg. Well worth reading, not a dull moment.

It's not the book that raised this thread but digging user comment off the Internet afterwards. has a reader call it "Caledonian Khomeini-ism", for example. Better yet there's "In spite of being set in the early 1700s, it generally comes across as a description of a Scotland that hasn't changed much in modern times". I'll treasure that for a while.

It is, honestly, not just gripping but packed with belly-laughs. Well done James Hogg, that's what I say.

Are there any Calvinists on ForumGarden?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chookie

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by Chookie »

spot;639311 wrote: Are there any Calvinists on ForumGarden?

Somehow, I think that unlikely.

Although I liked "The Confessions of a justified Sinner", I prefer some of his poetry.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
spot

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by spot »

Are ye no' numbered among the elect then, wee Chookie?

Come on, I want a ForumGarden Calvinist to argue with. Stand up whoever you are.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chookie

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by Chookie »

spot;639607 wrote: Are ye no' numbered among the elect then, wee Chookie?

Which elect?

Onnyweys. Ah hope no, Ah dinnae want tae huvvtae park mah arse on a cloud and go plinketty-plonketty on a harp furr aw eternity.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
randall

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by randall »

:-6

Dear Spot,

I've always considered Scotland to be a Calvinistic Nation or why else do we carry so much invented guilt on our backs.

Worry about neighbours thinking we are lazy if we actually do nothing on a day off?

Calvin, through John Knox, who seem to have hated women - his mother must have been one but perhaps he thought he was divinely conceived just like the two immaculate births we have heard off in the past year.

The so called "Work Ethic" boasted by many to be the reason Americans succeed at everything????????

Where on else could it have come from but from Calvin and then through Scottish emigrants.

I always tell my wife - she's fed up to the teeth with it now - that we are both victims of Calvinism, John Knox and the Sankey and Moody revivals.

There is a little revolution in Peterhead at the moment because so many of the new ministers DO NOT KNOW the well known Sankey and Moody hymns which the fishermen along with their Dutch counterparts in the old days, sang and sing with so much gusto.

I admit that I am sick and tired of "SO called HYMNS" where you sing the same lines of three or four words over and over again.

Both Peter Ustinov and the perhaps greater G.B. Shaw made interesting remarks about those hymns when asked about their religious beliefs.

But I've written enough for one night.

God Bless All

randall

:) :) :)
K.Snyder

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by K.Snyder »

I would have to imagine there are plenty of Protestants...
spot

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by spot »

A way broader proposition entirely is your Protestant. Some - though few, mind - even acknowledge bishops. Your dyed-in-the-wool predestinarian Calvinist is what we're after here.
gmc

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by gmc »

I was brought up in the free kirk but I think I escaped without too much damage being done.
randall

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by randall »

Dear Spot, GMC and peer wee chookie,

There is not much I dislike intensely but it drives me mad when travelling that the same sentence keeps coming up.

"Y're a Scat. Y' MUST be Presbyterian."

Hold the Faith Brother, spread it gently.

God Bless All.

randall.

gmc

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by gmc »

randall;645037 wrote: :-6

Dear Spot, GMC and peer wee chookie,

There is not much I dislike intensely but it drives me mad when travelling that the same sentence keeps coming up.

"Y're a Scat. Y' MUST be Presbyterian."

Hold the Faith Brother, spread it gently.

God Bless All.

randall.

I always tell those who shall remain nameless but come round the door asking "do you believe in God" that I worship the cosmic comedian. They don't have a stock answer for that and it seems politer than just shutting the door.

My wife told the local minister, who we happened to meet socially, we were pagans. Unfortunately, being English she didn't realise that what she thought was a witty comment would be taken seriously. It took two whiskies to calm him down and stop the prayer meeting.
randall

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by randall »

Ah ken fine wha ye mean, GMC,

"Thousands that are living will never die."

I have rare sport with them at the door - never inside - my wife always sends me to speak to them knowing that I will not be back for half an hour or more.

They are apparently fascinated with this and keep coming back "Just to have a chat."

One came one day with two younger girls (her daughters?) and complimented me by saying that she had brought them around especially to see and hear me.

A few weeks ago two others arrived.

Do they always travel in pairs like the Mormons?

They were really taken aback when I asked them where the other woman was.

The reason I remembered her so well was that her husband took a chief engineer's position on a boat that I had just turned down.

He must have been (ex-Royal Navy) desperate as the wage they were offering would have made the present minimum wage turn you into a Bill Gates.

That is how my memory works. It needs something to hook onto.

Apparently they had returned south of the border.

God Bless All

randall

:)
randall

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by randall »

I know that this an old thread but a memory came back into my head.

Once whilst having to fend off some of those who walk about with the bible in their back pocket and keep asking you, "Are ye saved laddie.?"

I had a brilliant inspiration.

I retorted quite quickly, "I'm a Zen Baptist."

Immediately I was looking at quite a few dropped jaws.

As they had no ready reply I was able to walk away safely.

God Bless.

randall

:)
buttercup

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by buttercup »

I miss you Randall, please come back soon :-4
spot

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by spot »

I do hope he's well. He posted in March. I always enjoy seeing him when he posts.
Nomad

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by Nomad »

spot;976368 wrote: I do hope he's well. He posted in March. I always enjoy seeing him when he posts.

Im pretty sure he left because of something you said.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Scotland, afore and syne

Post by spot »

Nomad;980341 wrote: Im pretty sure he left because of something you said.

Och, wailie wailie me then. Just like Jaimsey Cotter frae Govan, eh?

Return to “The Library”