The Children of Hurin

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Galbally

The Children of Hurin

Post by Galbally »

When I was younger I was a big Tolkein fan, and sure I suppose I still am, though I havn't read any of it for a long time. But anyway, there is a new Tolkein book out called "The Children of Hurin" which is I presume about the first age and all that, and based on writings that have not been published before, but have been alluded to in "The Silmarillion" and all of the "Lost Tales" books (which are legion, I have no idea how many of those there are now, just lots for sure). Unlike all those later books, this book is more like the Silmarillion and is an unbroken narrative. So, has anyone read this book, and is it worth getting from Amazon? Yours questioningly, Galbally. :thinking:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
spot

The Children of Hurin

Post by spot »

I did read the condensed version in the mid-80s when the second volume of the Book of Lost Tales came out, and grim stuff it is too. To quote last year's Sunday Times, "The manuscript for The Children of Hurin, to be published next spring, contains incest, suicide and a multitude of violent deaths. Any film version is likely to have restricted audiences because of the subject matter". It'll be odd reading the full version if only because I'll recognise so many of the key passages and plotlines.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

The Children of Hurin

Post by Galbally »

spot;625639 wrote: I did read the condensed version in the mid-80s when the second volume of the Book of Lost Tales came out, and grim stuff it is too. To quote last year's Sunday Times, "The manuscript for The Children of Hurin, to be published next spring, contains incest, suicide and a multitude of violent deaths. Any film version is likely to have restricted audiences because of the subject matter". It'll be odd reading the full version if only because I'll recognise so many of the key passages and plotlines.

Yes, I think I may have read that one as well at some point, its a good story, which is why I am interested in this book, I always liked that first age Tolkein stuff the most, high Fantasy and all that, so I hope that they have managed to make a readable book from all those notes and appendices that went into those lost takes books and all those further ones about the first age, (which I didn't read as they became a bit ponderous after a while). :-6

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

The Children of Hurin

Post by Galbally »

Well I read this one, and its pretty good, there is nothing new in there for anyone who has read the Silmarillion or any of the Lost Tales books, but its nicely put together, and it works well as a book. I have a feeling that they will probably release several more like this, about the major themes in the Silmarillion like Beren and Luthien, The Fall of Gondolin, the Exile of the Noldor from Valinor, that kinda thing.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.

Return to “The Library”