The Da Vinci Code

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Bothwell

The Da Vinci Code

Post by Bothwell »

Is this being sold as fact or fiction?
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
Hawke

The Da Vinci Code

Post by Hawke »

Bothwell:

The book is sold as pure speculative fiction.
Hawke

The Da Vinci Code

Post by Hawke »

As you may or may not know, Hollywood is working on a movie based on this book.

See details here and here.

I'll provide more information as it comes in.
orangutan

The Da Vinci Code

Post by orangutan »

I am not entirely sure about whether I'm going to enjoy the film as I did the book.

I wasnt as interested in the actual storyline (which was slightly predictable and nothing totally amazing as storylines go), but all the dialogue and explanations and speculations.

I am agnostic and this book sat very well with me. The theories were enjoyable and kick started a few thoughts into gear.

Does anyone recommend that I have a try at reading sequels or his other works? are they any good?
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

:driving: gosh, I love this smiley.
Bothwell

The Da Vinci Code

Post by Bothwell »

Try The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail (Michael Baigent ). How the Davinci Code got away without a plagarism suit from this author is beyond me.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
chicagolosina

The Da Vinci Code

Post by chicagolosina »

I love historical fiction, and I loved The Da Vinci Code. One of my friends just gave me the book "Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code" by Bart D. Ehrman , he's chairs the department of religious studies at University North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

From the Introduction:

"How much truth is there in "The Da Vinci Code" ? In some ways the question is raised by "The Da Vinci Code" itself, as it begins (on p. 1 before the Prologue) with a list of items that it labels 'FACT' including....the claim 'All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents and secret rituals in this novel are accurate.'

But are they? I will not be dealing with art, architecture, or rituals. But I will be dealing with ' documents.' And as we will see, even when Dan Brown strives to present facts (and indicates that he is providing facts accurately) , he has played with the 'facts,' so that many of them are, in actual fact, part of his fiction. It is the goal of my discussion to seperate the fact from the fiction, the historical realities from the flights of fantasies, for anyone interested in knowing about the historical beginnings of Christianity, especially in the life of Jesus and the writings that make up the New Testaments. "

Sure to be an interesting read, if anyone else has the book, I'd love to discuss it.
capt_buzzard

The Da Vinci Code

Post by capt_buzzard »

Nah, I read it. Don't pass it on. Put it in the garbadge.

Return to “The Library”