Need new books...

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Hawke

Need new books...

Post by Hawke »

Greetings, Gardeners!

After rereading pretty much everything I own, I am desperately in need of new literature. I therefore posit the following to you folks: What are you currently reading that you'd recommend? Mind that my tastes tend strongly towards science fiction, though the antiquarian in me is drawn towards books on history and art.

Cordially,

Hawke
Hawke

Need new books...

Post by Hawke »

Terry Pratchett...good stuff. I read the Discworld series at least once per year.
The Rob

Need new books...

Post by The Rob »

Forge of God and Anvil of Stars, by Greg Bear. These are companion novels and are brilliant, in my opinion.

Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Also companions; excellent and unique.
Chookie

Need new books...

Post by Chookie »

Can you give us more info on the type of sf you prefer?

I mean, hard sf (Asimov, Stapledon et al), space opera (Iain M Banks, David Weber &c) or, maybe Fantasy (Tolkien, le Guin, Jordan & so on).
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
menso

Need new books...

Post by menso »

Maybe some Michael Crichton?

I read Next a while back. Couldn't put it down.
chocoholic

Need new books...

Post by chocoholic »

Have you read the OTHERLAND series of 4 books by TAD WILLIAMS, I can thoroughly recommend them as a brilliant read.

You could also try the series by Stephen Donaldson, (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, they come as "jumbo" paperbacks labelled The First Chronicles, The Second Chronicles and The Last Chronicle, they are another crackingly good read)

Finally, have just been introduced to Stephenie Meyer by my god-daughter and can recommend Twilight and the follow-up New Moon, they are vampire fiction but very well written and I enjoyed them very much.:-6
RedGlitter

Need new books...

Post by RedGlitter »

Hi Hawke,

What kind of art and history are you most interested in?
Bryn Mawr

Need new books...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Hawke;620943 wrote: Greetings, Gardeners!

After rereading pretty much everything I own, I am desperately in need of new literature. I therefore posit the following to you folks: What are you currently reading that you'd recommend? Mind that my tastes tend strongly towards science fiction, though the antiquarian in me is drawn towards books on history and art.

Cordially,

Hawke

Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny

A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M Miller Jr

Davy - Edgar Pangbourn

The Still Small Voice of Trumpets - Lloyd Biggles Jr

Monument - Lloyd Biggles Jr

Then the old standards :-

Foundation - Isac Asimov

Nine Princes In Amber - Roger Zelazny

Dorasi - Gorden R Dickinson

Dune - Frank Herbert

The Dragons of Pern - Ann McCaffrey
Specfiction

Need new books...

Post by Specfiction »

Well, try a new author, namely myself. Proteus Rising is a societal SF with interesting plausible science written by a scientist. You can find the book and reviews on Amazon. You can try the first four chapters for free in pdf format at:

Speculative Fiction Review
saffy

Need new books...

Post by saffy »

Tom Holt - 'The Portable door', In your dreams' and 'Earth, Air, Fire and Custard'.

Return to “The Library”