Are ther any avid readers of mystery and suspense?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
libertine

Post by libertine »

I like mysteries. I read the usual mental bubble gum ones just for relaxation: Diane Mott Davis, Lillian Braun, Rita Mae Brown (although she can write a really good mystery when called on)

But I also like Martha Grimes, Sue Grafton, John D MacDonald(old ones), Tony Hillerman, Jonathan and Faye Kellerman, among others.

Have you read the "Ladies #1 Detective Agency" series by Alexander McCall-Smith..very good, and lots of fun.

I used to shy away from mysteries just because, but now that I have time to read what I want, I find myself picking up a mystery more often than not. Maybe because other genres are not as good as they used to be. I never did like Romances much, and out grew the Gothics, I guess. :-6
Erinna1112

Post by Erinna1112 »

JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts) writes some pretty good mysteries. I've always wanted to try the "The cat who...." series and the alphabet series...just can't remember the authors of those. I'm sure someone will help :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
persephone

Post by persephone »

lilafran wrote: Hi,

I absolutely love novels of suspense. The following are some of the elements that draw me to a book:

**a strong main character

**a plot that keeps you guessing till the end

**elements of romance

**FBI, police, and Forensic involvement

Does anyone want to share authors and titles of this genre :-6 that we can discuss with each other?

LilaOne author with all of the above springs to mind... The Dr. Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell.

* Scarpetta is a strong female character

* The plots can have strange twists (they all seem to revolve around Scarpetta and seem to be about her, lets them down a bit)

* There is romance between Scarpetta and at most 2 different characters in the series.

* Scarpetta is the Forensic pathologist, she has direct links to the FBI and obviously works with the police.

* It's all set in New England so she often ends up in the main FBI HQ there.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
libertine

Post by libertine »

Erinna1112 wrote: JD Robb (aka Nora Roberts) writes some pretty good mysteries. I've always wanted to try the "The cat who...." series and the alphabet series...just can't remember the authors of those. I'm sure someone will help :D

"The cat who..." author is Lillian Jackson Braun, and they are good, easy reading mysteries with a continuing character (both human and feline) :wah:

The so-called 'alphabet mysteries' is Sue Grafton. Also very good...a little more thought-provoking, but easy reading. She has a continuing character with an on-going sub-plot, but you don't have to begin with 'A' to enjoy the stories.

Another author I though of is Sara Paretsky. Her character is V.I.Warshawski , a female dectective. Really good mysteries.

A couple of Alaskan authors I enjoy are John Straley and Dana Stabenow. They write well, incorporate the 'place' without making it the main character, as so many Alaskan authors have a tendency to do.
LoveMama

Post by LoveMama »

Nobody better than Agatha Christie. Buy any of her books.......you'll love them.

The only books in world that outsell her are Shakespere and the Bible. Amazing huh!

xxxxxxxoooo

mama

Return to “The Library”