Got overdue books?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
valerie

Got overdue books?

Post by valerie »

Betcha not like this man:

HANCOCK, Mich. (AP) - Robert Nuranen handed the local librarian a book he'd checked out for a ninth-grade assignment - along with a check for 47 years' worth of late fees.

Nuranen said his mother misplaced the copy of "Prince of Egypt" while cleaning the house. The family came across it every so often, only to set it aside again. He found it last week while looking through a box in the attic.

"I figured I'd better get it in before we waited another 10 years," he said after turning it in Friday with the $171.32 check. "Fifty-seven years would be embarrassing."

The book, with its last due date stamped June 2, 1960, was part of the young Nuranen's fascination with Egypt. He went on to visit that country and 54 others, and all 50 states, he said, but he never did finish the book.

Nuranen now lives in Los Angeles, where he teaches seventh-grade social studies and language arts.

The library had long ago lost any record of the book, librarian Sue Zubiena said. "I'm going to use it as an example," she said. "It's never too late to return your books

Honesty is the best policy.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Lulu2

Got overdue books?

Post by Lulu2 »

Honesty is the best policy! :wah: Guess they can buy SEVERAL books with that fine!

(This reminds me of a little blurb I heard recently about a librarian who removed books from the shelves because they hadn't been checked out in decades. "Catcher in the Rye" was one. What a decision to make! I hope they're stored SOMEWHERE....)
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
buttercup

Got overdue books?

Post by buttercup »

:yh_whistl i just returned an overdue book, should have been back before xmas, librarians are sooooooo serious & a little bit scary.

So i go in admit (embarrassed) my book is late & i will have a fine to pay. Librarian looks at me totally disapproving & says its customers like you that give us problems, it'll be a hefty fine, i say im sorry & im happy to pay it or i'll just pay for the book, she says - you could just return it when its due :mad:

Fair point, the book was £10 & worth every penny IMO so i was happy to pay it, she says - your fine is £2.

Of course someone could have been waiting for the book in which case im the worst possible human on the planet but c'mon it was xmas & new year holidays & no real need to make me feel like sh*t. Ive been a member of the library since i was 5, im now 40 & this is only the second time in all those years ive put back a late book.
Lulu2

Got overdue books?

Post by Lulu2 »

Sounds as if you're lucky she didn't make a public announcement and put you in the STOCKS! Poor woman probably deals with sluggards all the time! I hope you wished her "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" and MOONED her on the way out?

No?

You thought of it, though--I just know that you did! :sneaky:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
buttercup

Got overdue books?

Post by buttercup »

Lulu your so naughty :yh_rotfl
Lulu2

Got overdue books?

Post by Lulu2 »

Oh, come on! WE KNOW YOU THOUGHT ABOUT IT! Replayed it in your mind! Thought of the perfect retort....but, alas, too late to use it, right? :wah:
buttercup

Got overdue books?

Post by buttercup »

Damn ive been found out :D
Marie5656

Got overdue books?

Post by Marie5656 »

Went to a yard sale once and was looking through the books. Several were obviously library books..had the library tags on them. I pointed it out to the seller, who just shrugged and said, oh well..they are years overdue anyway, library probably forgot about them. Needless to say I did not buy them..but I did consider it and then returning them through library drop box or something. :)

Return to “The Library”