Why so few choose-your-own-adventure type books?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
suncrafter

Post by suncrafter »

Why so few "choose-your-own-adventure" type books?

I've always wondered why the "Choose-your-own-adventure" type of books never gained wide acceptance. Why were they largely confined to just fantasy and RPG? And why mostly kid books?

Why hasn't, for example, Steven King made a novel with a "Choose-your-own-adventure" format? He could let the readers guide the actions of the protagonist. Something like: "If you think Paula should run from the Zombie - turn to page 184. If you think Paula should try to kill the zombie with her axe - turn to page 701. If you think she should stand there and scream like an idiot.... etc... etc...

You would think that there would be at least ONE big-name author who would have tried something like that - if only for a publicity gimmick.

Why so few CYOA books? Is there some kind of stupid copyright law that prevents it? Anyone know?
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

suncrafter;493604 wrote: Why so few "choose-your-own-adventure" type books?

I've always wondered why the "Choose-your-own-adventure" type of books never gained wide acceptance. Why were they largely confined to just fantasy and RPG? And why mostly kid books?

Why hasn't, for example, Steven King made a novel with a "Choose-your-own-adventure" format? He could let the readers guide the actions of the protagonist. Something like: "If you think Paula should run from the Zombie - turn to page 184. If you think Paula should try to kill the zombie with her axe - turn to page 701. If you think she should stand there and scream like an idiot.... etc... etc...

You would think that there would be at least ONE big-name author who would have tried something like that - if only for a publicity gimmick.

Why so few CYOA books? Is there some kind of stupid copyright law that prevents it? Anyone know?

I think they were an idea that was tried out, but didn't catch on in a big way. I rememeber playing fighting fantasy when I was a kid and it was fun, but it died out after a while, maybe I still have "death trap dungeon" buried somewhere under all me other books?
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Return to “The Library”