Digital Fortress

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Fibonacci

Digital Fortress

Post by Fibonacci »

Has Anybody read it? Its good read, but that's not why im posting.

At the back of the book there's a code. I've tried everything i can think of to figure it out! I know it means something, I just don't know what.

Do You?

Here it is:

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
CARLA

Digital Fortress

Post by CARLA »

Here you go Fibonacci I just googled the code. ;)

Answer: We are watching you.

[QUOTE]Code solution

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.

The code that appears in the end of the book

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

is decrypted by looking at the first letter of the chapter for each number. For example, chapter 128 starts 'When Susan awoke'. The resulting text is

WECGEWHYAAIORTNU

Decryption is performed using a columnar transposition cipher, termed a "Caesar Square" cipher in the book (this is unrelated to the Caesar cipher). The letters are arranged into a square:

WECG

EWHY

AAIO

RTNU

and read from the top down.

WEAREWATCHINGYOU

Add spaces and you get the plaintext,

"We are watching you"[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Fibonacci

Digital Fortress

Post by Fibonacci »

Thank you Carla! :yh_worshp

Who knows how long I would have been up trying to figure this out! :wah:
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.

Return to “The Library”