If Only One Classic

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Adam Zapple

If Only One Classic

Post by Adam Zapple »

Pick any scenerio: you're on a deserted island or whatever and can only take one classic with you which would it be and why. For the purpose of this thread we'll consider anything written prior to the previous, oh, thirty years. Mine btw is Robinson Crusoe. I'll tell you why when I have more time.
Marie5656

If Only One Classic

Post by Marie5656 »

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. One of my favorites.
Nomad

If Only One Classic

Post by Nomad »

To Crack a Coconut

by Kasma Loha-unchit
I AM AWESOME MAN
Shweet tatersalad

If Only One Classic

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

How too carve a canoe out of a tree.
Nomad

If Only One Classic

Post by Nomad »

pompom;489089 wrote: :wah:

I'll cheat a bit and have The Oxford Book of English Verse - in a way all (well, a lot of) human life is there, from 1250 to 1950, in a form of writing that most appeals to me. :-6

You'll just be talking to the monkeys after a month pom pom so you might reconsider. Comic books maybe.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

Adam, dear...you realize this is an impossible question! ONE? How about ONE author? :sneaky:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
chonsigirl

If Only One Classic

Post by chonsigirl »

I would want a Bible, but for a classic book: The Iliad. My very favorite classic.
Marie5656

If Only One Classic

Post by Marie5656 »

Adam, do you have some plans to be deserted on an island in the near future?
ELF

If Only One Classic

Post by ELF »

Winnie the Pooh....................

Adam Zapple

If Only One Classic

Post by Adam Zapple »

Lulu2;489164 wrote: Adam, dear...you realize this is an impossible question! ONE? How about ONE author? :sneaky:

It's a really small island.
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

Oh, fine! And does this "really small" island have a library? :wah:
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Adam Zapple

If Only One Classic

Post by Adam Zapple »

Yeah, it consist solely of the one classic you brought with you. So which is it?
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

SIGH....oh, all right, then....Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird." It has everything.
Galbally

If Only One Classic

Post by Galbally »

I would choose Gibbon "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" unabridged, or perhaps the collected works of Shakespeare, or then again, perhaps "Finnegan's Wake", because if I was stuck on a desert Island I would probably read it at last. Wait, what about "War and Peace", or maybe even Lord of the Rings, oh god, I dunno, probably Gibbon. :thinking:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

(I have this image of Galbally, strolling along the shore, acting out all the parts of "Lord of the Rings." :wah: )
Galbally

If Only One Classic

Post by Galbally »

Lulu2;491399 wrote: (I have this image of Galbally, strolling along the shore, acting out all the parts of "Lord of the Rings." :wah: )

"Get off the road Frodo, the black riders are coming!"

Indeed. :thinking:

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

"Kiss me, fair Arwen!" "Oh, Aragorn! I've missed you so!";)
lady cop

If Only One Classic

Post by lady cop »

may i have the complete works of Dickens? or just one volume? :-3
Galbally

If Only One Classic

Post by Galbally »

Lulu2;491409 wrote: "Kiss me, fair Arwen!" "Oh, Aragorn! I've missed you so!";)

Oh no, its the love scene, I'd better get back to Marcus Aurelius and Trajan! :wah:

I'm reading Robert Fisk's book on the middle east right now actually, its astonishingly good, even though I don't always agree with Robert Fisk's attitude, his book is an amazing testimony of what has been going on in the middle-east since the mid 70s. a cracking book. Its called "The Great War for Civilization" (The Conquest of the Middle East).

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

If Only One Classic

Post by Galbally »

lady cop;491415 wrote: may i have the complete works of Dickens? or just one volume? :-3

Not a bad choice actually, keep you occupied anyway!

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

ADAM! These people are CHEATING!
lady cop

If Only One Classic

Post by lady cop »

Lulu2;491712 wrote: ADAM! These people are CHEATING!nobody likes a snitch :p
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

EXCUUUUSE ME! Howcome I can't take more than one book and THEY can?????
Galbally

If Only One Classic

Post by Galbally »

Nobody saw nothing, right? ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Tater Tazz

If Only One Classic

Post by Tater Tazz »

lets see if i can spell this right. Nostradomous
Galbally

If Only One Classic

Post by Galbally »

Tater Tazz;491920 wrote: lets see if i can spell this right. Nostradomous

Close. Nostradamus (his Latinized name), he was actually French and had a French name. Can't be bothered to see what it is.

There are a lot of books on him alright. His quatrains are actually not that long, but they are in medieval French and a bit of Latin, (any translations are questionable and usually done to suit some agenda or other), so you could do with a English-Medieval French-Latin dictionary as well. Maybe you could have a crack in interpreting them yourself on the Island, you couldn't do any worse than the jokers who have already done so! ;)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
guppy

If Only One Classic

Post by guppy »

boyscouts survival guide in the woods........:D
spot

If Only One Classic

Post by spot »

May I take the Oxford English Dictionary, please, in a readable format (I don't mind using the supplied magnifying glass if I have to, but it's a bit squinty that way). I can't imagine I'd ever get bored with it. A pre-war Brittanica would be an alternative for much the same reason, something around the twelfth edition.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

If Only One Classic

Post by Galbally »

spot;492014 wrote: May I take the Oxford English Dictionary, please, in a readable format (I don't mind using the supplied magnifying glass if I have to, but it's a bit squinty that way). I can't imagine I'd ever get bored with it. A pre-war Brittanica would be an alternative for much the same reason, something around the twelfth edition.

Encylcopedia Britannica, good call, and not one filled up with all that modern drivel.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Adam Zapple

If Only One Classic

Post by Adam Zapple »

I think I mentioned that it was a really, really small island. You might want to bring a book that weighs less than 20 pounds. And the encyclopedia, as riveting a read as it is, is not really a classic is it?

P.S. (For LuLu's eyes only - all the rest of you look away) You can slip an extra book under your beach towel but only you. Don't ell anyone else.
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

HAH! Won't they think it's odd when we show up with towels weighing a hundred pounds?
Galbally

If Only One Classic

Post by Galbally »

Adam Zapple;498720 wrote: I think I mentioned that it was a really, really small island. You might want to bring a book that weighs less than 20 pounds. And the encyclopedia, as riveting a read as it is, is not really a classic is it?

P.S. (For LuLu's eyes only - all the rest of you look away) You can slip an extra book under your beach towel but only you. Don't ell anyone else.

Flippin hell you are strict! OK, I am taking Gibbons "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" then. No, I am talking the Diaries of Samuel Pepys, (in paperback) I always meant to get around to reading them.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Dynamite

If Only One Classic

Post by Dynamite »

Either The Count of Monte Cristo because I'd be trapped on Chateau d'If like Edmond, or The Great Gatsby because I have been in love with Fitzgerald since before I saw his photograph. :o
CARLA

If Only One Classic

Post by CARLA »

Heck with a Classics, I will take a survival book that covers how to start a fire, what plants are eatable, and like Sweet how to build a boat and get off the small island and then read a classic...:D I don't see me sitting around reading a classic book if I don't have food or water.. Come on now..:-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

Great! I want to be on Carla's island!
Adam Zapple

If Only One Classic

Post by Adam Zapple »

You two are hereby voted OFF the island.
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

:-2 :-3 You don't like "To Kill a Mockingbird?"
CARLA

If Only One Classic

Post by CARLA »

Al righty then I will stay home and read a Classic..:wah:

[QUOTE]You two are hereby voted OFF the island.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

"Kon Tiki?" :wah:
CARLA

If Only One Classic

Post by CARLA »

Good choice Lulu..:wah:

[QUOTE]"Kon Tiki?" [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

(Adam will be SORRY he booted us off his island!)
CARLA

If Only One Classic

Post by CARLA »

Yes I would think so..:wah:

[QUOTE](Adam will be SORRY he booted us off his island!)[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Ciao, Bella!

If Only One Classic

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

I brought that one, Ciao Bella & you may read it! Guess you get to choose another. (But keep your mitts off my copy of "Kon Tiki!):wah:
Ciao, Bella!

If Only One Classic

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Lulu2;540231 wrote: I brought that one, Ciao Bella & you may read it! Guess you get to choose another. (But keep your mitts off my copy of "Kon Tiki!):wah:

The Night Of The Hunter, Davis Grubb.
Lulu2

If Only One Classic

Post by Lulu2 »

OK! I volunteer to manage a book exchange here on the island!

Return to “The Library”