Dice People

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
koan

Dice People

Post by koan »

I'm reading this book called The Dice Man.

In it the author writes as a psychiatrist who gives his life over to chance. Whenever he feels conflicted he tosses a die to see what he will be told to do and, in this way, slowly destroys his personality.

Part of the premise is that a person's personality is a structure of consistently devised behaviours that define how we can be expected to act. That keep us within predictable parameters. When the author gives his life over to the will of the die he rejects society and frames his experiment as a psychological study to discover what is the true nature of man.

I have tossed a coin before to make major decisions that I was split evenly on. And I did whatever the coin said without prejudice. The options are chosen by the person. Do you think this is a dangerous way to live? Could you follow the die?
SuzyB

Dice People

Post by SuzyB »

koan;443554 wrote: I'm reading this book called The Dice Man.

In it the author writes as a psychiatrist who gives his life over to chance. Whenever he feels conflicted he tosses a die to see what he will be told to do and, in this way, slowly destroys his personality.

Part of the premise is that a person's personality is a structure of consistently devised behaviours that define how we can be expected to act. That keep us within predictable parameters. When the author gives his life over to the will of the die he rejects society and frames his experiment as a psychological study to discover what is the true nature of man.

I have tossed a coin before to make major decisions that I was split evenly on. And I did whatever the coin said without prejudice. The options are chosen by the person. Do you think this is a dangerous way to live? Could you follow the die?

I'm very decisive, only thing i've tossed a coin on are if the kids want to do different things, that way they know it's all fair and square :)
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

koan

Dice People

Post by koan »

I have a problem with structure and routine. Something in me calls out for the coin toss on occasion.

btw, don't the kids then fight over who gets to call it or which option should have been heads or tails? That's what I'd do if I lost.
chonsigirl

Dice People

Post by chonsigirl »

I don't think I have ever been evenly decided on what to do, I do not think I would toss a coin to make a major decision. Or even a little one....
SuzyB

Dice People

Post by SuzyB »

koan;443561 wrote: I have a problem with structure and routine. Something in me calls out for the coin toss on occasion.

btw, don't the kids then fight over who gets to call it or which option should have been heads or tails? That's what I'd do if I lost.

They've tried that maybe twice, i just sat down with a nice cuppa a good book, and they got to tidy the bedrooms :)

I'm far better with routine, without it i don't seem to get anything done :thinking:

koan

Dice People

Post by koan »

I think people often suppress things they would like to do because some little voice inside says it is inappropriate. If this was true then it is not a matter of knowing what you want but knowing clearly what is expected of you, by yourself and others.
chonsigirl

Dice People

Post by chonsigirl »

Kids are pretty fair about stuff like that, they know when it's their turn or not to do something. I get that in the classroom all the time, and they know who can do this or that chore, or not.

Some people work well being very structured, and others need the flexibility to be able to go in whatever direction is calling them at that time.

I tend to be very structured, I accomplish more that way.
SuzyB

Dice People

Post by SuzyB »

koan;443570 wrote: I think people often suppress things they would like to do because some little voice inside says it is inappropriate. If this was true then it is not a matter of knowing what you want but knowing clearly what is expected of you, by yourself and others.

I kinda agree, their are lots of things that i would like to do, but like many people i have many responsibilities and know what has to be done, but because i know it has to be done i don't really think outside of that. Sorry koan's not sure if your going to get that, :D

koan

Dice People

Post by koan »

I think it is interesting to consider what would change if six options were presented every day and a dice tossed to decide how a person will face their challenges within that time period. To consider how drastically that could change one's life.

I'm off to read some more and I'll try to find some good passages to quote for examples.

Return to “The Library”