Loved the Lovelybones? Then this one's for you!

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Supersilly@rse

Post by Supersilly@rse »

If you loved the Lovelybones like I did, then you should try the Time Traveller's wife.

Have you ever got to the end of a book and felt a certain grief that you will miss the characters? This is certainly one of the many emotions this enchanting and challenging novel elicited. I challenge anyone who reads this book not to feel Joy, sadness, fear, frustration and more than anything else compassion for the characters.

Although the title suggests that this is science fiction, this charming, emotionally charged novel is much more a love story.

For the scientists in you, if you can put aside your sci-based cynicism and just see the time travel for the 'platform' it is, then you'll enjoy this book too.

For those who have read it - let me know what you think!
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Who's the author?
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I started to read that book, but had trouble with flipping around in time part. It made the story disjointed, and it was a very good plot line to begin with. I will admit, I never finished it. Or the Jane Austen Book Club either, I was very disappointed in that novel.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Supersilly@rse wrote: If you loved the Lovelybones like I did, then you should try the Time Traveller's wife.

Have you ever got to the end of a book and felt a certain grief that you will miss the characters? This is certainly one of the many emotions this enchanting and challenging novel elicited. I challenge anyone who reads this book not to feel Joy, sadness, fear, frustration and more than anything else compassion for the characters.

Although the title suggests that this is science fiction, this charming, emotionally charged novel is much more a love story.

For the scientists in you, if you can put aside your sci-based cynicism and just see the time travel for the 'platform' it is, then you'll enjoy this book too.

I love time travel books, but didn't really enjoy this. The author, Audrey Niffenegger, could have done a lot more with the whole concept of time travel, I felt and the ending was obvious once you knew Henry had lost his legs but was still jumping through time. Sorry! :(

If you like time travel and charcters who stay with you then read Diana Gabaldon's books. You'll lose your heart to Jamie Fraser!
Supersilly@rse

Post by Supersilly@rse »

I think if you view the aspect of Time Travel, not as time travel itself, but simply as the platform it was intended to be you may get a lot more out of it.

The jumping backwards and forwards in time is difficult to get your head around to start with, particularly if you read in a number of sittings, but it does get easier, and is worth persevering with, as the viewpoints and memories start to merge in a wonderful way....
Supersilly@rse

Post by Supersilly@rse »

Sheryl wrote: Who's the author?

The author is Audrey Niffenegger and the book is hailed as the next Lovely Bones.
theia

Post by theia »

chonsigirl wrote: I started to read that book, but had trouble with flipping around in time part. It made the story disjointed, and it was a very good plot line to begin with. I will admit, I never finished it. Or the Jane Austen Book Club either, I was very disappointed in that novel.

I had the same difficulty, Chons, I couldn't finish it either, though a couple of friends found it really good.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
guppy

Post by guppy »

oh my gosh, the lovely bones haunted me for a long time...........
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It is not as good as Lovely Bones, but everyone likes different type of novels.

I think if he had constructed the story in a different pattern, still retaining the time travel plot line which was very good, it would be a much better novel.

I do not always believe what critics have to say-most of them are not author's to begin with.
Supersilly@rse

Post by Supersilly@rse »

guppy wrote: oh my gosh, the lovely bones haunted me for a long time...........

Me too! I was found sobbing on the sofa in such a state, it was suggested that I stopped reading!

Worth it though!
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I've read both books. Lovely Bones was heartbreaking and Time Travelers Wife was a bit tricky to get into, but worth it.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ACCADUE

Post by ACCADUE »

I read the lovelybones and I liked it.

Now I started " The Afterlife experiments" . by Schwartz and Simon.

The wife's traveller.... will be my next reading: I already have it at home.

I'm quite intrigued about these topics.

bye
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Supersilly@rse wrote: If you loved the Lovelybones like I did, then you should try the Time Traveller's wife.

I've also read both of these books. I liked both of them! The Lovely Bones stuck with me for a long time afterward and I have recommended (and loaned) it to many of my friends to read, who have also enjoyed it. The Time Traveler's Wife, I agree, was tricky to get into and when I recommend this book to anyone I always tell them that, but I tell them to try to stick with it because it is worth it. I liked the story line - - and I think the time traveling is the backdrop to the main love story - I would definitely not consider this a science fiction book per se. In fact, if it was I truly would not have enjoyed it as I did because I am not a fan (at all) of science fiction. I was like you Supersilly - I felt compassion for the characters.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.

Return to “The Library”