Book Reviews

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

FG has a movie review thread so why not a book review thread. Rate on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being outstanding. I'll start with the last book I read. (I've tried this on another forum and nobody joined me so I just review books by myself. :wah: Please don't make me look foolish here too).:-6

Christ The Lord: Out Of Egypt by Anne Rice

This book relates the story of a 7-yr old Jesus as he comes to the realization of who he is. This is a very interesting concept and for the most part Rice does a respectable job. This is the first novel of hers that I ever read so I can't compare it to her previous works, but I found her writing to be "lean" to say the least. It was almost like reading a childrens story. Of course, she was telling the story in the first person so maybe that is why she wrote that way, I really don't know. The best part was the afterword where Rice explains how she, as an atheist, came to the place spiritually that lead her to write this book. I was very moved by her experience and found that both the book and her personal account rang true. While I struggled a bit with her writing style, I'm very glad I read the book and I'm wondering if she plans to continue it into a series.

Rating: 3.5
libertine

Book Reviews

Post by libertine »

The SEcret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

T his novel is set in the south in 1964. It is the story of a motherless girl who has grown up with an uncaring, abusive father. She and her 'nanny' make their getaway after the black nanny insults the town bigots and gets beat up and put in jail. They arrive at a bee-keepers house, led there by a picture of the Black Madonna. There in the space of a few weeks the girl learns about her mother and about family .

"This is a remarkable novel about divine female power, a story that women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come."(quote from the back of the book)

It is a good story of place and time.

rate 4.0
cherandbuster

Book Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

Marley and Me by John Grogan

This is the story of a large yellow lab and the family he lives with all his life. He is a wild and crazy animal but filled with love and devotion. The book recounts lots of tales (not tails!:rolleyes: ) of Marley and the love and adventure he brought to the author's life.

It's a simple, easy-to-read book that I recommend to all dog lovers.

Rating: 4.0
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

"Inside The White House" by Ronald Kessler

Kessler, a former investigative reporter for the WSJ and WaPo, takes a look at the private lives of the modern day Presidents from LBJ to Clinton. Through interviews with Secret Service agents, White House staff and stewards, and military aids, Kesslers gives us a behind the scenes look at how the WH operates and the personalities involved. He shows that the public President is not always the same as the private President. He exposes which kids in First Families were bratty and which were well grounded. It is a very interesting book and you are certain to learn sometihing about a President you didn't know. The only downfall is that Kessler sometimes gets bogged down in mundane issues such as what they liked to eat. Otherwise a good read.

3.5 stars
DesignerGal

Book Reviews

Post by DesignerGal »

libertine wrote: The SEcret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

T his novel is set in the south in 1964. It is the story of a motherless girl who has grown up with an uncaring, abusive father. She and her 'nanny' make their getaway after the black nanny insults the town bigots and gets beat up and put in jail. They arrive at a bee-keepers house, led there by a picture of the Black Madonna. There in the space of a few weeks the girl learns about her mother and about family .

"This is a remarkable novel about divine female power, a story that women will share and pass on to their daughters for years to come."(quote from the back of the book)

It is a good story of place and time.

rate 4.0

Ooh. I read this book too and liked it ALOT! Have you read the Mermaid Chair by the same author? I liked that one too.

HBIC
Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

"Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown

This is Brown's third book and each book gets better than the previous one. For entertainment value, this is just a rip-roaring read. Brown has created a cottage-industry of conspiracy thought and he does so in a very entertaining way. Every now and then I get ahold of a book that keeps me googling for information and confirmation and "Angels and Demons" is one of them. I found what appears to be a few errors in the book but perhaps those were due to artistic license. At any rate, this is a fun book to read. Brown does appear to have a chip on his shoulder regarding the Catholic Church (which has made him a very wealthy man) but his this book is very entertaining.

5.0 stars
Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

"The Moscow Club" by Joseph Finder

I love the espionage thriller genre which is why it surprises me that I have missed all of Finder's novels. "The Moscow Club" is his debut novel and it is a very impressive first novel. First published in 1991, the book takes place as the Cold War comes to an end. But political intrigue is still afoot. Finder is an expert on Soviet affairs and his plot, while a bit convoluted, is very plausible. It is a fast-paced thriller that keeps the pages turner and it is hard to put down. My only criticism is that the body trail gets a bit long and thus predictable. Anyone who came in contact will lead character Charlie Stone was likely to get whacked as a result. But great fun this book was. Can't wait to read more Finder.

4.0 stars
ACCADUE

Book Reviews

Post by ACCADUE »

Well, I adore reading !

I always have more books near my bed.

I bought a lot of books but, since they are quite expensive now (a paperback is abt 5 Euro, that is more or less us$ 6,33), i hire them from the public library.

Recently I read " the crimson petal and the white" written by Michel Faber. (of course, in italian..)

It is the story of a 19 year old whore, in the brothel of Mrs Castaway, in London, 1870.

She aims for a better life, she struggles to free her body and her soul from that life.

It is quite strange this book, the end is open for a sequel...

from 0 to 10, I rate 7
ACCADUE

Book Reviews

Post by ACCADUE »

er..

from 1 to 5, i would rate 2,5
RedGlitter

Book Reviews

Post by RedGlitter »

I like your thread idea, AZ. :)

Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison

A story of Bone, a young girl abused by her desperate-to-have-a-man loser mother's new husband. The mother knows of the abuse but looks away. Bone is raised mostly by her grandmother and her lesbian aunt. The story is fast-paced and written so that you feel you know Bone and you definitely sympathize with her misfortune. She's a tough girl though and her abuser gets his due in the end. This was also made into a great movie by the same name, starring Jenna Malone. I recommend the book over the movie however.

5 stars
ACCADUE

Book Reviews

Post by ACCADUE »

Asne Seierstad

The bookseller of Kabul

It is a strong portrait of Afghani people, taken by the journalist Seierstad, who lived for four months with the family's bookseller.

When I was reading this book, sometime I should leave it aside, breath and rest a while.

Women are simply non-existent, considered as slaves, Kites (yes, kites) banned by law...

Impossible..

rating: 4
Dynamite

Book Reviews

Post by Dynamite »

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

The thickness of the book looks daunting, but the tale is so very soothing, but with mystery involved, one can hardly put it down.

The snobs at an elite college in Vermont (or New Hampshire) elect to include a scholorship student into their clique. They study Greek in a very formal, tight class struture. Then one goes after another and the Secret History tears the remaining students apart.

I have read it three times so far.

4.8 Stars
Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

IVANHOE Sir Walter Scott

My first time to read this. I believe it has lost some popularity and respect as a "classic" but I thought it was a great book. Beats most of the "Madame Bovary" type crap I had to read in high school.

4.0 stars
along-for-the-ride

Book Reviews

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

Yeah, I'm a King fan. A bit hard to first get into, but once you get to know the characters, it is very interesting. This is about a widow and her extraordinary late husband and what they went through during his life...and what she goes through after his death. It makes you wonder the measures a child will resort to in his imagination to survive parental cruelty after you read about the husbands childhood.

I could imagine Sally Field playing the lead if this book is made into a movie.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lulu2

Book Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

(Stick with me for a few minutes on this one, okay?) "Guns, Germs and Steel," by Jared Diamond.

This is just fascinating! Subtitled "The Fate of Human Societies," the author gives a different perspective on why some societies have prospered and created scientific/artistic accomplishments, while others have never developed much at all.

I know it sounds dry as dust...but it's not, and if you've an interest in anthropology, you'll like this one.

(Jared Diamond is a prize-winning author and you'll soon see why. He wrote "The Third Chimpanzee.")
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

Book Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

Who wrote it?
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Lulu2

Book Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

Sorry...my mind is CHEESE tonight! You're right, of course...he's got a gift of making the complex simple.
Lulu2

Book Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

:wah: Check to see if Amazon has any used copies of "Guns, Germs & Steel." It's a different way of looking at things. I admire people who can do that. Alas...some of us are just born to appreciate.
Lulu2

Book Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

"do not apply."

Well, RATS! :sneaky:
Lulu2

Book Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

Me, too! You have to be in your teens, I think. And I'm certainly not!:wah:
Galbally

Book Reviews

Post by Galbally »

I am reading "The Classical World" by Robin Lane Fox, going through the period from Homer to Hadrian, I am enjoying it so far, though I have read a lot of classical history so its not really breaking that much new ground for me, though I did also get a copy of Livy's "Rome and The Mediterranian" from his "History of Rome" work. I always enjoy Livy, he is such a cranky git, its such fun to read, and of course to hear first hand accounts of rome from someone who actually lived there is pretty amazing as well. So its the classics at the moment, though I want to read something a bit lighter for a break, I've been reading a lot of heavy books lately.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Lulu2

Book Reviews

Post by Lulu2 »

Poor baby!
weeder

Book Reviews

Post by weeder »

Just finished The Innocent Man. John Grisham. Not a usual genre choice for me. Story of a man wrongly convicted of murder and sent to death row. Food for thought regarding ones stance on the death penalty.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

Midnight's Children by Salmon Rushdie

Couldn't finish it. Boring, confusing, just didn't like it

Main Street by Sinclair Lewis

Reminded me of an early 20th Century version of Jane Austin. It was okay.

3 stars

The Beautiful and The Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Another dry book I just couldn't force myself to finish.

Act Of Treason by Vince Flynn

One of the best in the Mitch Rapp series...and Rapp was almost likable in this novel. Plot- Investigation of attempted assassination of Presidential candidate leads back to the corridors of Washington.

4 stars
cherandbuster

Book Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

I'm in the middle of "On the Couch" by Lorrain Bracco -- she is Dr. Melfi on "The Sopranos" and an Oscar-nominated actress for "Goodfellas". It is her autobiography. So far, it's really good.

And Harvey Kietel is really an ***hole :guitarist :mad:
Live Life with

PASSION

Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

Where Angels Fear to Tread by E M Forster

This was like reading a cheap dime store novel. May have been cutting edge back in the day but it doesn't translate well to the now. Just bad.

1.5 stars

On Hitler's Mountain: Overcoming the Legacy Of a Nazi Childhood by Irmgard Hunt

Ms Hunt tells her story of growing up in Bavaria under the literal shadows of the Third Reich. It's a fascinating account of the lives of average Germans citizens, both those that supported Hitler and those that didn't. We learn how lives are impacted by their willingness or unwillingness to follow the Nazi party. It's not often that we are offered this perspective and Ms. Hunt's story is a compelling one. I think women will enjoy this book as it describes the struggles of a small girl and her young mother who is widowed early in the war. A worthwhile book.

4.0 stars
Specfiction

Book Reviews

Post by Specfiction »

Some book reviews of my new book, Proteus Rising:

Proteus Rising

They can also be found on Amazon...
Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis

Better than Main Street but still a book about nothing. Seinfeld can get away with stories about nothing, Lewis can't.

3.0 stars

Sundown Towns by James W. Loewen

A non-fiction investigation of towns north of the Mason-Dixie line that at the turn of the 20th century began to blatantly expel African Americans from their towns. Often these towns would have signs warning blacks not to let the sun set on them while in their respective towns thus becoming "Sundown Towns". I don't agree with every inference or conclusion Mr Loewen comes to and at points he becomes repetitive but his book is an important one. It dispels the myth that the south has/had a monopoly on racism and treated blacks worse than the northern states.

4.0 stars

I, Nadia, Wife of a Terrorist by Baya Gacemi

Non-fiction. Algerian journalist Gacemi tells the true story of "Nadia", an Algerian girl who marries a young hoodlum that becomes a terrorist. When the town in which her husband ruled turns on the GIA terrorist group, Nadia is outcast from her friends and family. Only a news story on a women's help center saves Nadia from an unsure fate. This is a compelling story and interesting insight into the lives of terrorists and those that must live among them. It is an important reminder of the scourge the world is faced with and the torture and humiliation that these societies inflict on women. I was a little disappointed when I first read the book but the "after taste" has been much better.

4.0 stars

The Ruins by Scott Smith

Fiction. A group of young vacationers in Cancun take an ill-fated trip to a site of Mayan ruins to search for the missing brother of one of the tourists. What awaits them is not human. This is a quick read, I read it through in one night. While I was a little disappointed, I was expecting it to be scary but it wasn't, it is still a fairly good yarn. If you like Stephen King, you will like this book.

3.5 stars

Kim by Rudyard Kipling

I tried....but just couldn't read it.
The Rob

Book Reviews

Post by The Rob »

Just finished Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Thoroughly enjoyed it; I laughed aloud quite often. Reading his book Naked next and I can't wait.
Specfiction

Book Reviews

Post by Specfiction »

For those of you who like detective "who-done-it's, check out "The Cold Moon" by Jeff Deaver. I've read a lot of J. Patterson, J. Kellerman, through the not so well known to the great Rex Stout and Robert Parker, and this one is nothing short of the modern day Sherlock Holms. A quadriplegic master criminalist, his talented but reluctant assistant, bad cops, and a Moriarty style master criminal come together under the clever prose of J Deaver to make this one a must read for those who like this kind of thing.

Also, for those who know about "Sun-Down" towns, check out this article about Corbin KY:

http://www.journal-news.com/news/conten ... sions.html
cherandbuster

Book Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

I, Rob;573832 wrote: Just finished Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Thoroughly enjoyed it; I laughed aloud quite often. Reading his book Naked next and I can't wait.

Hi There :)

If you like David Sedaris, check out Augusten Burroughs -- his style is similar and I actually prefer his writing over Mr. Sedaris' :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

Kathy Ellen;573645 wrote: Adam, my man, you are a prolific reader. Cuddos go to you...:-6 . I love your postings.

Wish I had more time to read during the school year. But, I do pack up my summer books in a suitcase and read them when I have more time.

I've developed a " Novel Reading Plan." Read only one chapter a night, and you'll get through all your books if you're a busy person.

Thank you for all your reviews. We really need to keep this thread going....especially now since we have so many young people posting here.

It comes and goes. :wah: My booklist is about a dozen typed pages long so I'll never finish it but just having the list gives me a sense of urgency that I need to sit down and get as much done as possible. I found that there were so many "classic" novels that I had never bothered to read, so my list is full of them - making up for lost time. Some, as you can see in my reviews, I just can't get through but others are quite enjoyable and worthwhile. And then there are the contemporary authors and current new releases that I like to read. :yh_sigh
Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

I haven't seen the HBO mini-series so I opened this novel with no preconceptions. It's just a story of a small town guy working at the Empire Grill in a depressed New England mill town after the industrial plants have shut down and his relationships with the many town characters. Russo has construction rich, full characters with humorous and lively (and realistic) dialogue. It's easy to understand why this book won the Pulitzer Prize. I actually thought the ending was a bit contrived, seemed Russo rushed to bring everything to sudden climax but otherwise the book was outstanding. "Empire Falls" is why I read. If I could write a novel this would be the one I would want to write. Russo also wrote "Nobody's Fool" which was turned into one of my favorite movies starring Paul Newman and Bruce Willis.

5 stars

Coronado by Dennis Lehane

Lehane scored hits with "Mystic River' and the even better "Shutter Island" and follows with this collection of short stories. I'm not a big fan of short stories. I find them too cryptic, less-filling and unsatisfying but I wanted to see what Lehane could deliver. The book contains five shorts, the best of which is "Until Gwen" which tells of the fatal struggle between a father and son over a valuable gem and a missing girl. Lehane concludes the book with a play which takes "Until Gwen" and expands it in play form. You might like this if you are a fan of short stories but otherwise you might want to skip it.

3.0 stars
Lon

Book Reviews

Post by Lon »

Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant---------It's one of the top rated all time memoirs and is available as a free download. Two volumes. It's really a great read for even those that don't particulary enjoy history. I give it a 5+.
The Rob

Book Reviews

Post by The Rob »

cherandbuster;573967 wrote: Hi There :)

If you like David Sedaris, check out Augusten Burroughs -- his style is similar and I actually prefer his writing over Mr. Sedaris' :-6

I'll look him up, thanks! :)
cherandbuster

Book Reviews

Post by cherandbuster »

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

Gee, AZeeeee, I couldn't even get through this book! I was waiting and waiting for something to happen. I finally abandoned it after having read a couple hundred of pages.

Different strokes for different folks, huh? :)

Coronado by Dennis Lehane

Lehane scored hits with "Mystic River' and the even better "Shutter Island"

I totally agree! Loved "Mystic River, exceptionally loved "Shutter Island"! :-6

And IRob :-6

Do let us know if you like Augusten Burroughs!
Live Life with

PASSION

Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

Awww, cher, I'm sorry you didn't like Empire Falls. I must admit that the prologue was a little hard to get through but after that, I really enjoyed it. Have you ever seen the movie "Nobody's Fool"? It stars Paul Newman and Bruce Willis. Written by the same author, it's one of my favorite movies.

Next by Michael Crichton

Crichton takes on genetic research in his latest book. I was disappointed. This was kinda like a hodge-podge of characters and plot lines that sometimes ran together but never really made sense as a whole. I thought the story was incomplete and never really had an ending other than Crichton just decided he was done telling his story. I thought it was ineffectual and sometimes silly. But even on a bad day, Crichton is better than most.

3.0 stars
Specfiction

Book Reviews

Post by Specfiction »

If there are any readers here who enjoy an occasional mainstream SF that deals with the ultimate possibilities of genetic manipulation and artificial intelligence with sociologic overtones, check out Proteus Rising. You can read some of the reviews in a post further up thread.
Adam Zapple

Book Reviews

Post by Adam Zapple »

The Known World by Edward P. Jones

I'll just post the review of this Pulitzer Prize winner from Publisher's Weekly:

" In a crabbed, powerful follow-up to his National Book Award-nominated short story collection (Lost in the City), Jones explores an oft-neglected chapter of American history, the world of blacks who owned blacks in the antebellum South. His fictional examination of this unusual phenomenon starts with the dying 31-year-old Henry Townsend, a former slave-now master of 33 slaves of his own and more than 50 acres of land in Manchester County, Va.-worried about the fate of his holdings upon his early death. As a slave in his youth, Henry makes himself indispensable to his master, William Robbins. Even after Henry's parents purchase the family's freedom, Henry retains his allegiance to Robbins, who patronizes him when he sets up shop as a shoemaker and helps him buy his first slaves and his plantation. Jones's thorough knowledge of the legal and social intricacies of slaveholding allows him to paint a complex, often startling picture of life in the region. His richest characterizations-of Robbins and Henry-are particularly revealing. Though he is a cruel master to his slaves, Robbins is desperately in love with a black woman and feels as much fondness for Henry as for his own children; Henry, meanwhile, reads Milton, but beats his slaves as readily as Robbins does. Henry's wife, Caldonia, is not as disciplined as her husband, and when he dies, his worst fears are realized: the plantation falls into chaos. Jones's prose can be rather static and his phrasings ponderous, but his narrative achieves crushing momentum through sheer accumulation of detail, unusual historical insight and generous character writing."

A very enthusiatic 4.5 stars

Return to “The Library”