Google has made it into the dictionary

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I read in the paper the other day that Webster's Dictionary is adding the word "google" to the newest edition. It will be a verb as in "to google" . It was a brief blurb I read, and I don't think they mentioned what the definition would be, but I guess we can figure it out.
minks

Post by minks »

Marie5656 wrote: I read in the paper the other day that Webster's Dictionary is adding the word "google" to the newest edition. It will be a verb as in "to google" . It was a brief blurb I read, and I don't think they mentioned what the definition would be, but I guess we can figure it out.

we could always "google" the definition... hehehe I could not resist that.:D
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
spot

Post by spot »

It's been in the Oxford English Dictionary for a while now - here's the two senses of the verb "to google" there:

intr. Of the ball: to have a ‘googly’ break and swerve. Of the bowler; to bowl a googly or googlies; also (trans.), to give a googly break to (a ball). Hence {sm}googler, a googly bowler.

1907 Badminton Mag. Sept. 289 The googlies that do not google. 1909 Westm. Gaz. 5 July 7/4 Mr. Lockhart, having ‘googled’ to no purpose from the ‘nursery’ end. 1923 Daily Mail 9 July 11 In R. H. Bettington they have a googler who might triumph over the best of wickets. 1928 Daily Tel. 12 June 19/2 Constantine..was out to a semi-yorker, which also ‘googled’. 1930 Ibid. 25 Apr. 8/5 Grimmett..can spin the ball and google it.

1. intr. To use the Google search engine to find information on the Internet.

1999 Re: Hi Guys! in alt.fan.british-accent (Usenet newsgroup) 10 Oct., Has anyone Googled? www.google.com Ver ver [sic] clean and fast. 2003 Sunday Herald (Glasgow) 14 Sept. (Seven Days section) 7/3 You can google all you want and there's nothing there on them. 2004 U.S. News & World Report 14 June 49/2 The couple found themselves Googling for a new place to live.

2. trans. To search for information about (a person or thing) using the Google search engine.

2000 Re: $Emergency_Number in NYC in alt.sysadmin.recovery (Usenet newsgroup) 10 Jan., I've googled some keywords, and it came up with some other .edu text. 2001 N.Y. Times 11 Mar. III. 12/3, I met this woman last night at a party and I came right home and googled her. 2005 ‘BELLE DE JOUR’ Intimate Adventures of London Call Girl 115 Obsessing over the details, including Googling his name every few hours? Too right I did.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

minks wrote: we could always "google" the definition... hehehe I could not resist that.:D
:yh_rotfl :yh_think :yh_laugh
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Reminds me...

has "aint" made it in the dictionary yet?

its used alot
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

K.Snyder wrote: Reminds me...

has "aint" made it in the dictionary yet?

its used alot

If it isn't K..you're right, it should be.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I was always told ain't ain't a word. :rolleyes:
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
spot

Post by spot »

Ain't in its first meaning below is surprisingly high-class in England - this from the OED again...

ain't, v. dial. and colloq.

[A contracted form of are not (see AN'T), used also for am not, is not, in the pop. dialect of London and elsewhere; hence in representations of Cockney speech in Dickens, etc.,and subsequently in general informal use. The contraction is also found as a (somewhat outmoded) upper-class colloquialism. Cf. won't, don't, can't, shan't.] - as in 1919 MENCKEN Amer. Lang. 146 Ain't is already tolerably respectable in the first person..‘ain't I in this?’

ain't, v. dial. and vulg. var. hain't, have not, has not. - as in 1884 ‘MARK TWAIN’ Huck. Finn. xxxv. 360 He ain't had no experience.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Seems Oxford has it all over Webster, then. Interesting.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm sure they serve different audiences in different markets.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

spot wrote: I'm sure they serve different audiences in different markets.

I agree, but this brings to mind a thought, since you seem to have some knowledge. I wonder if the actuall definitions ever differ between the two books. Not the wording, but the definitions. I may need to investigate this on my own some time.

Return to “The Library”