Blue Shoes and Happiness

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
libertine

Blue Shoes and Happiness

Post by libertine »

I have just finished this latest in the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I really like this series, and read it almost as a guilty pleasure.

He also has a series The Sunday Philosphy Club that is o.k..I really like the Ladies Detective Agency because of the setting. I think he has the mood and manner of the land and people down pat. McCall Smith lived for many years in Botswana.

Anyone else enjoy these books, or his other series?
SOJOURNER

Blue Shoes and Happiness

Post by SOJOURNER »

I too just purchased this last book of his............

Loved this series and people I've refered this read to have thanked me again and again for turning them on to this author.

Do you know of any other series like this?
libertine

Blue Shoes and Happiness

Post by libertine »

I've just recently found the British author Marge Willett. She is heavy on setting and character, and has a great story. But, like many British authors, her writing is very detailed. She could tell the story in 2/3 the space, BUT it would not be so intriguing and the characters so well drawn.

THe two books I have read by her are A Week In Winter and Children's Hour. I can't tellyou which I liked best.

Her one 'quirk' is she seems to be quite taken with dogs. Both books have had a dog in the foreground, almost a main character.

She is worth reading for a good, quiet read. Not a lot of suspense and excitement, but a truly enjoyable storyteller.

Return to “The Library”