What book has most influenced your life?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

This forum needs more posts :)

To that end, I'm starting off this questionnaire:

I suppose since I'm starting this topic that I should go first. For me, its a three-way tie. 1st is George Orwell's 1984, which I find to be a fascinating lesson on the overreliance on technology and big government. 2nd is Marx's Kapital, a fascinating treatise on capitalism. 3rd is Frazer's The Golden Bough, the seminal study on magic and religion.

What say you folks?
koan

Post by koan »

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse

The Magister Ludi, Hermann Hesse

I'm sure there are more but these are my favourites of the "fiction" category.
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

Catch 22 gave me my view on war and the people who run it.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
LoveMama

Post by LoveMama »

Warsai wrote: Thank you for contributing to the Library, Fyrehawke. And welcome to ForumGarden. Quite an interesting topic! I'd have to say that the book that has influenced my life the most has been the Bible. It changed my life forever, and I feel that my life is so much better because I read it. Also, The Republic, by Plato, has not only influenced my life, but the lives of billions who have lived in Western civilization, this book forms the basis for all Western thought. Another book is Ten Days That Shook the World by John Reed. It's about the Bolshevik Party's seize of power in Russia. Although it is biased, the author portrays Leon Trotsky as a demigod, it is a very enlightening account of Red October.

Like you Warsai......the Bible. what am I supposed to say.......Agatha Christie, who I collect! I am a huge reader.......I'm extremely interesting in the 1st and 2nd WW........but how could that possibly influence me...........other than both wars held my interest a great deal. I'm more involved in WW11 but have ancestor's in the big War which was WW 1. I couldn't possibly go into the effect that major wars have on us......but in the important segment of our personalities and lifes goals are not decided by war's per se. It is ultimately what we trust who our maker is.

xxxxxxxxxxxxooooo

mama

War's don't change that.
Lon

Post by Lon »

George Carlin's "Brain Droppings" has had a profound effect on my sense of humour.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Fyrehawke wrote: This forum needs more posts :)

To that end, I'm starting off this questionnaire:

Oh, that's a toughie, but I guess I would have to say books I read as a

young girl... Black Beauty by Anna Sewell or The Swiss Family Robinson

by Henry Altemus. (I am fortunate enough to have an illustrated 1899

first edition!)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

koan

Post by koan »

Valerie, you reminded me!

The Secret Garden.

For what I went through as a child, this book kept my spirit alive. Still one of my favourite stories. :-6
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

Bothwell wrote: Catch 22 gave me my view on war and the people who run it.

I could not get into Catch 22 at all, maybe its just me but I found it really difficult. I love 1984, brilliant book so clever. If anyone has read a book called The Handmaid's Tale....thats an excellent book too. its by an author called Margaret Atwood and it shows just how far women's oppression could go.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Oh many. But one or two comes to mind, My Life by Golda Mairson, former Prime Minister of Israel.

Stride towards Freedom by Martin Luther King Jr.

And last, but not least The Holy Bible.
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

I don't think I could pin down just a few books. I grew up reading classics as a kid, and I think that really influenced how I categorize the world around me.

I go through periods where I think deeply about certain books. Obviously, Anna Karenina has been a huge preoccupation of mine lately...poor woman, she was about doomed either way. Should love take precedence over duty? Is emotion stronger than reason? Are we more important than our children?

Ah well ~

And I'm reading Primal Leadership right now. Good book, I'm getting a lot out of it. It has my basic philosophy of act, don't react. This means I'm floating along with the ideas presented more than I usually do.

It talks a lot about using emotional intelligence to retain control, to persuade others to your point of view, and to not be dragged down by those with less...ah...prefontal lobe activity. LOL.

The book addresses my recent questioning about whether emotion is more powerful than reason. It claims that emotion is a part of reason. Interesting notion, and I rather like it.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
weeder

Post by weeder »

All of Anne Tylers books for entertainment. Accidental Tourist,Ladder of Years

The Shell Seekers.

Read The Road Less Traveled at least 10 times.

Many years ago I was a big Sydney Sheldon fan. Rage of Angels. His books are considered fluff however for me there always was a powerful message.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weeder

Post by weeder »

Oh my! I read every single Nancy Drew book. Used to use birthday money to buy tem.... I wrote letters to the Author Caroyn Keene when I was in the 5th grade. She wrote back to me.... What a Thrill!
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Cass

Post by Cass »

Fyrehawke wrote: What book has most influenced your life? The Joy of Cooking
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

wenutu wrote: Not sure what book has had most influence but many favourites include:

Lord of the Files - William Golding

I'm the King of the Castle - Susan Hill

Veronika Decides to Die - Paulo Coelho

The Differnt Drum - M Scott Peck

The Wrong Boy - Willy Russell

1984 - George Orwell

Animal Farm - George Orwell

The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger

All John Grisham's books Well Cheers I have read all John Grisham's :-6 books too. His latest the Jurer is out now
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

wenutu wrote: His previous book was The Last Juror...his latest book is The Broker (I bought it to today)...I'm sure that's what you meant really :) Yes, thats it. Thanks. The Broker is 20 euro here at present. I'm heading up North for a copy.
minks

Post by minks »

The Velveteen Rabit
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Serendipity, welcome to FG! glad to meet you :) ... i am a true bibliophile, and former trial court law librarian (Mass.) , i love books and they always played a large role in my life. when i was a girl i read some WWll history and European history, much of it shaped my future interests. (and of course any true crime treatises.) i almost never read fiction , except Carl Hiaasen who is HILARIOUS and writes about my beloved florida keys...but if i were FORCED to name one author it would be Charles Dickens , in particular "A Christmas Carol" for the eternal moral and story that never fails to inspire and move me... BAH HUMBUG!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Bothwell wrote: Catch 22 gave me my view on war and the people who run it. Catch 22 has also influenced me throughout life, then again you and i have the very same books on our shelves... one other i failed to mention is "The Prophet" . it will always speak to me and my soul, as trite as it has become.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Herodatus. Earliest recorded history.

Robinson Crusoe. The alliance between black man and white man.

Nutrition Almanac. How to eat properly by understanding the nutritional make up of what you eat.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

hello again...it's true, different books for different stages in life. i can think of many that fit that description, but i am :-5 because i had forgotten my well-worn copy of Old Man and the Sea. Dickens still my all-time favorite however. and of course Shakespeare. i also appreciate the speeches of Winston Churchill a great deal, not a "book" but i love great wit and wisdom...Oscar Wilde too. STOP ME BEFORE I GO ON AD INFINITUM!! LOL
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Two books stand out from my earlier years, both by Pearl Buck. The Good Earth and The Townsman. Both are about people just living their lives. Two completely different cultures, but both very interesting.

As I child, I enjoyed myths and legend and fairy-tales. I remember I was given a large beautifully illustrated book which I cherished. I wish I still had it.

A book about Amelia Earhart stands out in my memory too. I thought she was very brave.

I have always been fascinated with human nature.

I work in the Human Resource Dept. of our company. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Lorna Doone by RD Blackmore has to be my first choice.
theia

Post by theia »

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll

"Life, what is it but a dream?"
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Jives

Post by Jives »

"Papillon" by Henri Charriere

He had a great attitude towards life and he never gave up despite being sentenced to Devil's Island.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare

Return to “The Library”