So, what are you reading today?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
spot

Post by spot »

minks wrote: careful cause I come from the "americas" heheheheOne day we'll all just call them Merkins and have a useable distinction.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
minks

Post by minks »

spot wrote: One day we'll all just call them Merkins and have a useable distinction.

yes us crabby defensive neighbors from the north would 'preciate that
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
libertine

Post by libertine »

I just finished Fannie Flagg's newest Can't Wait to Get To Heaven It is great. Typical Fannie Flagg, I guess...funny, uplifting and such characters...perfect!! A good read for a rainy summer day.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books and George Pelecanos' "Right as Rain".
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Yavanna wrote: I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books and George Pelecanos' "Right as Rain"

Hiya Y :)

I have not read George Pelecanos, but I know he is good friends with one of my favorite authors, Dennis Lehane. Have you ever read "Mystic River"? It's an exceptional book.

And Clint Eastwood's movie is *almost* as good. Which is saying a lot, since most book-to-film adaptations suffer greatly in the translation. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

booradley

Post by booradley »

libertine wrote: I just finished Fannie Flagg's newest Can't Wait to Get To Heaven It is great. Typical Fannie Flagg, I guess...funny, uplifting and such characters...perfect!! A good read for a rainy summer day.

did she write Fried Green Tomatoes? I really enjoyed that. You might like The Unforgettables by Laurie Graham..that's a similar style of writing..
booradley

Post by booradley »

I'm reading The Divide by Nicholas Evans...can't get into it though, which is why I'm posting on here instead:)
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I am currently reading a book by George Carlin called When will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? I am a bit disappointed at some of his attempts at humor, which in my opinion are nothing more than rude and disrespectful. I mean, I know his humor is not for all...and I have usually not taken offense at what he has had to say, but a couple of comments in this book are way beyond "satire" or cutting edge humor..even for him.

In one train of thought he rambles on about wondering if any folks who worked at or near the WTC, but survived took the opportunity to just say ******* it and disappear. There was also a thing about Jon Benet not caring much about beauty Pagents any more..then hey wait a minute..is it because she is dead now.

See...a bit too nasty for my tastes.
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

I'm reading Consent to Kill by Vince Flynn - a political-type thriller. It's the latest in a series. Recurring character Mitch Rapp, America's top counter-terrorism expert and former covert agent, is personally targeted by terrorists. These are pretty good but not great.

Summerland by Michael Chabon - a children's fantasy book, this is about a young boy who finds himself in an alternate world saving the little ferishers from all sorts of mystical creatures through the game of baseball. I've never been able to read fantasy books and this one is no different. The critics love it but I just can't seem to get into it.

The Assassins by Oliver North - a military thriller about terrorism. Saudi Arabia is hit hard by terrorists who totally disrupt their oil facilites and all but eliminate the Saudi Royal family. An elite group of U.S. spec ops soldiers is created to deal with the situation. A pretty good read.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I was reading a book... 'The History of Glue' - I couldn't put it down.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Uncle Kram wrote: I was reading a book... 'The History of Glue' - I couldn't put it down.

:rolleyes: :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl
annie58

Post by annie58 »

:) Hi there,

I have read Stephen King's book "Cell" and enjoyed it. Strictly for King fans I feel. I am also re-reading Harry Potter. Just read Philosopher's Stone and am now reading Chamber of Secrets. I can't wait for the seventh & last Harry Potter book. I feel, personally, JK Rowling will kill off Harry and that way we can't get "Son or Daughter of Harry Potter" etc etc, lol

:)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

SnoozeControl wrote: Dean Koontz "The Husband"

Snooze, I just finished reading this a little while ago. I've read several other books written by Dean Koontz - this one was different. Did you enjoy it - I'm curious what other people who read this thought of it.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Marie5656 wrote: Just wondering what everyone is reading now. I just finished Jonathan Kellerman's Gone] and found it interesting, but was a bit taken aback by the ending. I have just started Stephen King's CELL. Having some trouble getting started, but I really want to give it a go. I have heard it is so good.[

I just finished Digging to America by Anne Tyler and I'm currently reading The Bell Jar.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

cherandbuster wrote: Hiya Y :)

I have not read George Pelecanos, but I know he is good friends with one of my favorite authors, Dennis Lehane. Have you ever read "Mystic River"? It's an exceptional book.

Yep, I'm a great fan of Lehane - I've read everything he's written.

Pelecanos is excellent ; he has written a series of detective stories set in the rough, mainly black areas of Washington. They feel very real - no forensic pathologists - no inventive murdering of women by sexual sadists (well, not much) - but the day to day awfulness of living with gang and street crime, where 11 year old boys get shot by accident.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

A book of haiku by George Swede.

Did you get unstuck to your book yet, Unc'?:)
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Yavanna wrote: Yep, I'm a great fan of Lehane - I've read everything he's written.

Pelecanos is excellent ; he has written a series of detective stories set in the rough, mainly black areas of Washington. They feel very real - no forensic pathologists - no inventive murdering of women by sexual sadists (well, not much) - but the day to day awfulness of living with gang and street crime, where 11 year old boys get shot by accident.

Hi Y :)

I've read all of his books, too, except his newest "Coronado" -- I believe it's a collection of short stories.

My favorite Lehane book is "Shutter Island". What did you think of that one? :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Bez

Post by Bez »

I've just finished reading a book about the American Civil war....a true story about a lady who used part of her plantation as a cemetery for the fallen soldiers. It was harrowing and heartwarming. It was called 'Widow of the South'

This is part of a review "

In late 1864, five months before the end of the Civil War, the Confederate Army of Tennessee charged the Union Army positions just south of Nashville in the small town of Franklin, Tennessee. A few hours later, 9,200 men, including six Confederate generals, lay dead or injured on the battlefield. It was one of the bloodiest days in an incredibly bloody war. Just outside the town was the Carnton Plantation, which was forced into service as a field hospital during and after the battle, and eventually became the burial ground for 1,500 Confederate soldiers. Carrie McGavock, mistress of the plantation, tended to the sick and dying and became caretaker of the burial plots on her plantation. Her life had been consumed by the dead and dying, and she knew she'd spend the rest of her life tending to the men in these graves and their families that visited or wrote Carrie about the final resting place of their loved ones. "

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That does look very interesting, here is the book site.

*since I am thinking Civil War music today, and my daughter saw Gettysburg tesreday*

http://www.widowofthesouth.com/
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

cherandbuster wrote:

My favorite Lehane book is "Shutter Island". What did you think of that one? :-6

Hmm, not my favourite, actually ; he always writes well but I do prefer the day-to-day street stuff that he writes - Mystic River is still at number 1 for me.

I have an addiction to American crime writers, though ; I used to love the Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell until she seemed to lose the plot (literally). I also really liked the Sue Grafton series (her main protagonist is Kinsey Milhone).

Lately, I've got into Norwegian and Swedish crime writers ; Henning Mankell's books are great - as grim and dark as their winters over there!
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Hiya Y (I like to say that for some reason) ;)

The best thing is discovering a new writer, and then going through his/her catalog of books.

Have any of you read Elizabeth Berg? I like her a lot. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I just finished "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. It was a great read. It looks like it is being made into a movie, due out sometime in 2007. I've also read "Riding the Bus with my Sister" by Rachel Simon and I absolutely loved it.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

cherandbuster wrote: Hiya Y (I like to say that for some reason) ;)

The best thing is discovering a new writer, and then going through his/her catalog of books.

Have any of you read Elizabeth Berg? I like her a lot. :-6

I like Elizabeth Berg too Cher. I have a bunch of her books on my "to be read" list because I read Open House and liked it so much.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sheryl wrote: I just finished "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. It was a great read. It looks like it is being made into a movie, due out sometime in 2007. I've also read "Riding the Bus with my Sister" by Rachel Simon and I absolutely loved it.

I read The Lovely Bones some time back - it's one of my favorite books. I have lent my copy to a co-worker. I thought it was a great read. I had not heard that about it being made into a movie - I'd love to see it though.

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Beagle wrote: I read The Lovely Bones some time back - it's one of my favorite books. I have lent my copy to a co-worker. I thought it was a great read. I had not heard that about it being made into a movie - I'd love to see it though.

Yes

That was a powerful book indeed, wasn't it? :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Beagle wrote: I like Elizabeth Berg too Cher. I have a bunch of her books on my "to be read" list because I read Open House and liked it so much.

Hiya Beagle :)

Her books read very fast, too. You can easily finish one in two or three days. :-6
Live Life with

PASSION

Brownley

Post by Brownley »

I too have just finished reading "The Lovely Bones"

A really good read, I hope the movie is as good as the book

It is being made by Peter Jackson (Lord Of The Rings etc)

Also just read "Night" By Elie Wiesel

I know its really old, but only heard of it recently

Puts your own problems into prospective very quickly :-1
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song - Maya Angelou
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Brownley wrote: IAlso just read "Night" By Elie Wiesel

I know its really old, but only heard of it recently

Puts your own problems into prospective very quickly :-1

Hi Love :)

Didn't "Night" just come out earlier this year?

I hear it is a *very* powerful book

My book reading goes in streaks

Right now I don't have the time to read

Since I spend all my free time in the Garden :rolleyes: :-4
Live Life with

PASSION

Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Anyone like Ian McEwan?

I re-read his latest book, "Saturday" again recently ; it's really top-notch. He writes with a kind of a pared-down, simple elegance and clarity that I think is really rare. He also does "normality suddenly turning into danger" brilliantly.

I've just embarked on "Jane Eyre" again ; I have never been much of a Bronte fan, really. Too....ummmm.....hysterical and masochistic to really chime with me (although parts of their writing is fab). But there's a BBC production of it showing at the moment and I've really got into it (not as good as the early 80s production with Timothy Dalton as Mr Rochester, but there ya go).

Jane Eyre is a strange book ; it's oddly adolescent at one moment and then searingly mature at others. I prefer her second and far better novel, "Villette".
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

cherandbuster wrote: Yes

That was a powerful book indeed, wasn't it? :-6

It's one of those books that stays with you after you are done reading it.

Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Today.........Betty's reading her meters :D

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Uncle Kram wrote: Today.........Betty's reading her meters :D

:wah: I knew you were going to post that!
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Betty Boop wrote: :wah: I knew you were going to post that!
That's because you are a Medium. But I knew you knew as I'm an Extra-Medium:D

Brownley

Post by Brownley »

cherandbuster wrote: Hi Love :)

Didn't "Night" just come out earlier this year?

I hear it is a *very* powerful book

My book reading goes in streaks

Right now I don't have the time to read

Since I spend all my free time in the Garden :rolleyes: :-4

I think it was re-released this year?

But it first came out in 1958

I watched a documentary about Auschwitz, and they interviewed Elie Wiesel, so ordered his book because of it

I totally recommend it Cher! Its only 126 pages, which you would think is a quick read, but I found I could only read a few chapters at a time as my eyes were blurry and I couldnt read the text (kept getting the tearsies). Very very sad.

I agree with Beagle, stays with you long after reading it :-1
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song - Maya Angelou
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Yavanna wrote: I've just embarked on "Jane Eyre" again ; I have never been much of a Bronte fan, really. Too....ummmm.....hysterical and masochistic to really chime with me (although parts of their writing is fab). But there's a BBC production of it showing at the moment and I've really got into it (not as good as the early 80s production with Timothy Dalton as Mr Rochester, but there ya go).

Jane Eyre is a strange book ; it's oddly adolescent at one moment and then searingly mature at others. I prefer her second and far better novel, "Villette".

I love Jane Eyre and am thoroughly enjoying the current TV adaptation which is far better, imo, than any of the other filmed versions. Jane Eyre is my favourite of Charlotte's novels, but of all the Brontes I like Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte best of all. All that dark, brooding passion and Heathcliffe *swoon* ;)
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

SnoozeControl wrote: The Mission Song by John le Carre
Is it good, snooze?

Return to “The Library”