So, what are you reading today?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Have just finished 'Sick Puppy' what a giggle!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Clancy;443827 wrote:

.....sorry I couldn't resist :)

:wah: :wah: 10.0
I AM AWESOME MAN
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I just finished "The Tin Box" by Holly Kennedy, it was SO good! :-6
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

i have just finished the da vinci code....brilliant :-6
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Menace In Europe by Claire Berlinski

This book should be required reading. Berlinski was born and raised in America but has lived in Britain, France, Switzerland, Thailand, Laos, and Turkey as a journalist. She has a degree in modern history and a doctorate in international relations from Oxford University and has studied French literature at the Sorbonne. A self-described "secular Jew", she is also incredibly hot if her jacket photo is any indication.

This is not a political hackjob, it is an academic study of the sociology and the dynamics of European culture and history. She covers the following topics:

• Why Islamic radicalism and terrorist indoctrination flourish as Europe fails to assimilate millions of Muslim immigrants

• How plummeting birthrates hurtle Europe toward economic and cultural catastrophe

• Why hatred of America has become ubiquitous—on Europe’s streets, in its books, newspapers, and music, and at the highest levels of government

• How long-repressed destructive instincts are suddenly reemerging

• How the death of religious faith has created a hopeless, morally unmoored Europe that clings to anti-Americanism, anti-Semitism, and other dangerous ideologies

• Why the notion of a united Europe is a fantasy and what that means for the United States

This is a fascinating and eye-opening book.
Mystery

Post by Mystery »

beautyful;462396 wrote: i have just finished the da vinci code....brilliant :-6

You should also read Angels and Demons, well actually anything by Dan Brown is good. Digital Fortress was one of my favorites so far!

I read a couple books at a time usually but I've been avoiding reading as I have to put my school first, but next week we're out so I plan to get some reading in for sure.
ACCADUE

Post by ACCADUE »

I have just finished a short book: Fear and Trembling of A. Nothomb.

It is the story of a young woman who spends a year working at a Japanese firm: speaks about the hierarchy in that firm and soon it turns out into a comic nightmare...

I don't know if I should laugh or cry..

Has anyone read it ?
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

Mystery;463597 wrote: You should also read Angels and Demons, well actually anything by Dan Brown is good. Digital Fortress was one of my favorites so far!

I read a couple books at a time usually but I've been avoiding reading as I have to put my school first, but next week we're out so I plan to get some reading in for sure.

I read Digital Fortress and also Deception Point, loved both of them! I have bought angels and demons but not found time to start reading yet :S University reading comes first at the moment!:mad:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I'm currently reading "A Prayer for Owen Meany". It's the book the movie Simon Birch was based on. So far so good!
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Digital Fortress was ok, Deception Point was better and Angels and Demons was very good. I'm probably the only person on earth that couldn't stomach The Da Vinci Code....I tried but couldn't make it through the book.

A Prayer For Owen Meaney was pretty good too. Lots of chuckles in that book.
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

Adam Zapple;465025 wrote: Digital Fortress was ok, Deception Point was better and Angels and Demons was very good. I'm probably the only person on earth that couldn't stomach The Da Vinci Code....I tried but couldn't make it through the book.

A Prayer For Owen Meaney was pretty good too. Lots of chuckles in that book.

thats interesting coz i found da vinci code a real page turner, read in a couple of days !
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I liked Angels and Demons better than Da Vinci Code too. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
beautyful

Post by beautyful »

Sheryl;465034 wrote: I liked Angels and Demons better than Da Vinci Code too. :D

Ah well I have not yet found time to read Angels and Demons so I might agree with you in the end!:wah:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I just finished reading Wuthering Heights. Never read it before, didn't think I'd care for it but I was hooked by the end of the first chapter. I was sad to see it end, in fact.

I am presently reading The Worst Hard Time about the Oklahoma Dustbowl. It's kind of tedious reading but I'm determined to finish it.

I am also reading Three Centuries of American Poetry which will take a good long time to finish an dis one of those books to be savored.

Next in my pile will be Nanjing 1937 A Love Story and Willa Cather's My Antonia. My first Cather novel.
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Just started Double Whammy - Carl Hiasson. Seems to be about fishing?
Tariki

Post by Tariki »

Just finished "Fingersmith" by Susan Waters. Set in and around 19th Century London. Excellent read.

:)
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i love Dickens anytime of year, but reading 'A Christmas Carol' now.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Just yesterday I got a book from the library by Kathy Reichs. She is the one who has written the series of books which the main Character from the TV show Bones is based on. I have not gotten far into the book, just the first chapter, but it seems interesting and it looks like it will be a good read.
HelenA

Post by HelenA »

Sheryl;303830 wrote: It took me awhile to get through the book too, but it was worth it. It picks up toward the end.

Right now I'm reading Jody Picoult's "The 10th Circle"

Hi I know this was a while ago but I've only just joined! I love Time Traveller's Wife and The Historian - both brilliant i thought. I'vejust read Jodi picoult's My Sister's keeper too - and Ok read and twist at the end which you won't see coming!

I'm a big pratchett and Anne mccaffrey fan just keep reading their stuff again and again!
HelenA

Post by HelenA »

Hi thanks! i know it's a kids one but I hope to get the new one Wintersmith for Xmas!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have two I need to get cracking on

Moses by Jonathan Kirsch & The Power of Intention by Wayne Dyer. Soon.
I AM AWESOME MAN
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

I am still reading The Crimson Petal and the White.

HBIC
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

I read NIGHT by Elie Wiesel. I thought "This is a short book, I'll breeze through this one quickly." But it was so disturbing that I had to put the book down a few times. But like The Pianist this book is a must read.

Tried reading The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loanna by Umberto Eco but I couldn't get through it. It's a story about a 60 yr old man who suffers amnesia, he can't remember his name or his wife or children - in fact he can't remember anything about his life. But he can remember nearly everything he has ever read. So he sets out on a literary journey to reconstruct his life based on things he has read. Seemed an interesting and original concept. I kept waiting for something to happen but about halfway through the book I just skipped to looking at the pictures (yes, it has pictures....pretty pictures).

Next up: The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury, a Dan Brown-esque book about ancient relics. Or I should say it is about a particular ancient relic associated with the Knights of the crusades.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

pompom;487604 wrote: Later on I hope to be reading one of the library books I've taken out and are due back next week - the latest Lesley Glaister and Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel. But more likely I'll watch tv and fall asleep...:(

:wah: late fines I bet
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Post by koan »

I'm reading The Gift - Imagination and the Erotic Life of Property by Lewis Hyde
HelenA

Post by HelenA »

do you think so? I think the adult books just keep getting better as he adds more and more depth to the characters and world. Did you read Thud? That's pretty good and he's brillliant at making a story unfold.

One of the saddest stories I've read was about a child brought up in a convent - can't remeber what it was called but it was good. Sh got into trouble apparently for making stuff up and stealing other people's experiences, but whatever it was still a good picture of what nuns were like.
Fibonacci

Post by Fibonacci »

I just started reading NEXT by Michael Crichton.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I am still reading that Robert Fisk book, its 1,400 pages long! Its flippin brilliant though, I love reading his book firstly because he is so authoritative on his subject, also because of his great humanity, and also because I disagree with his world-view in many ways, and its great to read such a eloquent and challenging work, as it makes you think about your own opinions a lot, and you have to respect the man, as he really has first hand experience of a lot of what we think of simply as "news". Very good book.

Loved the Phillip Pulman books Pinky BTW, they were great! I think after fisky I am going to read something fairly light, maybe some fantasy book, or that Lawrence Block book I promised someone here last year I would read. I have it on my shelf, its called "smalltown".
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Pinky;493419 wrote: Glad you liked 'em! I can't wait for him to write some more!

Another author I've really got into lately is MaryJanice Davidson and her 'Undead' series. Bloody good laugh!

I will check her out, don't forget about that Jack Vance trilogy "Lyonesse" I told you about, its an absolute classic, and if you like Sci Fi, then if you haven't read the "Helliconia" series by Brian Aldiss, then do, they are also amazing books. :)

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Pinky;493470 wrote: Not forgotton about Lyonesse...I'm getting them from amazon with me crimbo money!

Excellent choice, they shouldn't cost too much, you must tell me if you enjoy them, I am sure you will, we seem to have the same taste in Sci Fi and Fantasy.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I just picked up two of Sylvia Browne's books- Life on the Other Side and Blessings from the Other Side.

I have only read one of her books, on animal afterlife, because I thought she was too popular to be for real. But I believe in the paranormal and afterlife so I felt I should read her. I'll let you know how I like the books. :)

Return to “The Library”