So, what are you reading today?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Just wondering what everyone is reading now. I just finished Jonathan Kellerman's Gone] and found it interesting, but was a bit taken aback by the ending. I have just started Stephen King's CELL. Having some trouble getting started, but I really want to give it a go. I have heard it is so good.[
libertine

Post by libertine »

I'm wading through THE HISTORIAN. It is good, but...it's going to take me the rest of the summer because it is not compelling enough to not put down.

My brother gave it to me (he does that a lot) because he didn't finish it. He said he liked it but got to the denounment and didn't finish.

It is "the real story of Dracula"..not usually my type of novel, but it has some overtones of Dan Brown's puzzles in it, plus all the history and setting of Eastern Europe.

I'll keep plugging away.

I really like Alexander McCall Smith and his "Number 1 ladies Detective Agency" books. He has started a new series now, "The Sunday Philosophy Club" . I'm withholding judgement on that until I read the second one.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I'm bouncing back and forth between 2 books right now. One is "Black House" co-written by Stephen King and Peter Straub, and the other, lighter read is "A Perfect Family" by Penny Jordan. Haven't read much by her, but I'm starting to get hooked on her stuff.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

I'm just starting Jeffrey Deaver's "Praying for Sleep", I'm a big fan of his books.

Read Stephen King's "Cell" but was a bit disappointed, thought it tailed off a bit at the end. Think his latest books are weaker that his previous books.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Trying to read Time Traveler's Wife, but it is an on again, off again read.
valerie

Post by valerie »

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer

Very, very good.

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

libertine wrote: I'm wading through THE HISTORIAN. It is good, but...it's going to take me the rest of the summer because it is not compelling enough to not put down.

My brother gave it to me (he does that a lot) because he didn't finish it. He said he liked it but got to the denounment and didn't finish.

It is "the real story of Dracula"..not usually my type of novel, but it has some overtones of Dan Brown's puzzles in it, plus all the history and setting of Eastern Europe.

I'll keep plugging away.

It took me awhile to get through the book too, but it was worth it. It picks up toward the end.

Right now I'm reading Jody Picoult's "The 10th Circle"
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Sheryl wrote: Right now I'm reading Jody Picoult's "The 10th Circle"
Just the name of that book sounds intriguing. Can you give me a short synopses?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Your gonna make me think huh! :wah:

It's bout a family of 3, a mom who is a popular colege professor, a comic book writing dad who has a dark past, and thier 14 year old daughter who is raped. It's about the levels of hell a family goes through in life. It's really interesting. I'll make this better as I get farther along in the book.

my son
spot

Post by spot »

I'm part way through W E Bowman's "The Ascent of Rum Doodle", written in 1956, and well worth finding it is. There's a brief review at http://www.scotlandonline.com/outdoors/ ... k_cat_id=5

I'm all for making comedy more central to living... has anyone re-listened to 1960s British radio humor recently? I don't think there's anything quite like it. Here's a snippet of what's on my headphones at the moment from Kenneth Horne's "Round the Horne" broadcast of 31st March 1968: Hornographic productions brazenly present "Big Broads Don't Squeal".

My name is Hank Fister, Private Detective. I'm the biggest gumshoe in town. More of a gumboot, really. I hang out in Downtown Chicago - but that's another story.

July 15, it's 2am in my office. It's half past five everywhere else but my clock has stopped. The door opens and someone comes in. It's a scruffy old man in a baggy blue suit.

"I am Nelson D Nadgerfeller, millionaire. I'm looking for a private detective and you were recommended".

I was cautious - well, I had to be. "Come in and sit down. Drink?" I uncorked a bottle of bourbon and gave him two fingers.

"And the same to you! Now listen Mr Fist, I want you to put a tail on my wife -"

"Well, if you think she won't mind..."

"- I suspect she's trying to kill me. I'm not certain, it's just little things like this morning she ran over me with the car three times"

"And this made you suspicious?"

"A little, I was in the dining room".

I paused only to strap on my Gat - well, my doctor advises it - and headed uptown.

7pm, Big Nick's Uptown Dive, I'm at the bar looking round at the worn carpet and the peeling Stucco - that's Ethel Stucco, the stripper, she's been dancing in Big Nick's for years. I watch her and wonder if she'll come across. She usually does.

I could type more, if encouraged. I could stop if I were paid enough.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Just fiished the book, really did like it. Lot's of spots that make you stop and ponder yourself. Alot of references to Dante's Inferno also.

Oh and best of all theres a puzzle to solve after your done with the book. :D

my son
spot

Post by spot »

Sheryl wrote: Lot's of spots that make you stop and ponder yourself.Grrrrrrrrrr. There's only one spot. So Snooze claims, anyway. Woof.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

Benjamin Franklin, An American Life - Walter Isaacson

Memorial Day - Vince Flynn
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

spot wrote: Grrrrrrrrrr. There's only one spot. So Snooze claims, anyway. Woof.

Ok sorry spot, how bout this then...

Lot's of places that make stop and ponder yourself. :D

my son
sammybear

Post by sammybear »

Nobble Hospital of the Aegean by Paul Judges is my current read. It's a fine story that takes place on a small Greek island. Funny, but with a genuine heart as well. Simple language that delights in the natural world.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I have just finished reading From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz. I read the entire book over the course of the weekend. It was GREAT. I loved it. The way the people interacted, and the lives intertwined was fantastic.

It also says alot for the power of faith and believing in something that parts of you tell you are not possible.

It is hard for me to describe it more without giving away the plot line. But if you are a fan of Koontz, and have not yet read the book, get it!!:-6 ;)
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Right now I'm reading "Insatiable" by Gael Greene. Quite simply, it's about food and sex!!

How can you go wrong there??

Next up is Augusten Burrow's new book. Looking forward to the movie version of "Running with Scissors" with Annette Bening . . .
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

Almost French.

HBIC
Porpoise

Post by Porpoise »

The Catcher In The Rye
DANGER!I drive like you do.
DesignerGal

Post by DesignerGal »

Just started Elie Wesiel's Night. Its only 120 pages, I got it last night and am half way through.

Its horrific. I dont know if I will be able to finish it. I was especially tortured reading the part where the infants (alive) were thrown in the air for target practice for the SS's. How insane that people could be filled with so much hate.

HBIC
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

DesignerGal wrote: Just started Elie Wesiel's Night. Its only 120 pages, I got it last night and am half way through.

Its horrific. I dont know if I will be able to finish it. I was especially tortured reading the part where the infants (alive) were thrown in the air for target practice for the SS's. How insane that people could be filled with so much hate.

Oh DG I cried while reading that book.

my son
Adam Zapple

Post by Adam Zapple »

Night is on my reading list.

Just finished "The Devil In The White City" about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and the psychopathic serial killer that lived there, and "Unhinged" by Michelle Malkin. Now reading Ann Rice's "Christ The Lord, Out of Egypt". Next up is "The March" a Civil War novel by E.L. Doctorow.
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

tmbsgrl wrote: I am reading a book called "The 5 People You Meet In Heaven" It is pretty good so far..

I read that, TGirl. A little schmaltzy but ultimately a really good story. Written by Mitch Albom, right?

Did you read Mitch Albom's first book, "Tuesdays with Morrie"? You can whip through that one in a couple of days. Really good read.
Live Life with

PASSION

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Adam Zapple wrote: Night is on my reading list.

Just finished "The Devil In The White City" about the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and the psychopathic serial killer that lived there, and "Unhinged" by Michelle Malkin. Now reading Ann Rice's "Christ The Lord, Out of Egypt". Next up is "The March" a Civil War novel by E.L. Doctorow.

Let me know what you thought of Anne Rice's new book. I'm intrigued, but haven't read it yet. I finally finished reading the last of the Vampire Chronicles, or atleast I think it was the last of them. :thinking:

my son
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

onsekiz wrote: Who rules the world - Mahir Kaynak and Omer Lutfi Mete

Written in Turkish and i think there's no English press now.

About the book: It changes your glance to world, people and happenings.

I'm planning to read M. Behe - Darwin's Black Box bu i have not bought it yet.

Just looked at your profile -- two comments:

1) Shawshank Redemption -- is that a GREAT flick or what?? Oh did I love that one!

2) You call yourself a geek -- I think geeks are vastly underrated! You seem like a really nice person to me:-4
Live Life with

PASSION

cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

onsekiz wrote: I havent seen Murder in the First and just looked up to imdb and added to my list. Seems a good film.

Onse (my nickname for you), "Murder in the First" is a vastly underrated film starring Kevin Bacon and Christian Slater. It's such a fine film that I encourage you to view it.

If you do, let me know what you think.

Oh, yeah -- Napoleon Dynamite is a fabulous flick! I just loved the character of Napoleon's brother. Every time he came on screen he stole the film in my eyes:)
Live Life with

PASSION

minks

Post by minks »

I am reading "Dark Carnical" by James Moore, now Genre for me... Horror, and new author. Just barely into it. Seems good so far.

Ok carry on you guys I just had to add my bits in here ahahahaha
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
cherandbuster

Post by cherandbuster »

Don't worry Minxie

You got us back on track

We had slipped into Movie Talk:)
Live Life with

PASSION

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I am actually not reading anything right this second. I am peering at my stack of unread books, to see which one I will use to read on my vacation. I will keep you posted on my choice.

I have tried to start Stephen King's CELL several times, and just cannot get into it yet. Maybe I will try again.
spot

Post by spot »

onsekiz wrote: Who rules the world - Mahir Kaynak and Omer Lutfi Mete

Written in Turkish and i think there's no English press now.

About the book: It changes your glance to world, people and happenings.Have you seen "Kurtlar vadisi - Irak"? It is not in England yet but I will see it when it is shown here.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I've just started reading "How Black was our Sabbath" subtitled "How Slack was our Haddock" which is an unauthorised view from the crew. Although I've only met one of the main protagonists, I know a dozen or so of the people mentioned in the book who worked for the band, including the author who gave me a free copy. It's really weird reading about people you know. I've heard a few stories over the years which I'm told are not in the book ;)

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Reading Life of Pi, or I should say, trying to. I can't seem to get into it.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That is a good book, Zapata. It takes awhile to get into that story.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Zapata wrote: Reading Life of Pi, or I should say, trying to. I can't seem to get into it.

I couldn't either until I'd read it 3.1416 times :rolleyes:

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Thanks, you guys. I thought it was just me.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Uncle Kram wrote: I couldn't either until I'd read it 3.1416 times :rolleyes:
:wah:
spot

Post by spot »

onsekiz wrote: I havent seen it but heard much about it. It's a racist movie, that shows all foreign people in Iraq as devils, murderers etc. bad things.

I recommed you not to watch it , it's a waste of time and money.That would be a very American point of view, that all foreign people in Iraq are devils, murderers etc. - the Americans would like all foreigners to leave Iraq.

Does "Who rules the world" not have a similar point of view as "Kurtlar vadisi - Irak"?
spot

Post by spot »

onsekiz wrote: No I mean American or other alliances by the word "foreign". Film shows allied troops as devils.You know that, and I know that, but I've never met an American who thought he was a foreigner, however far he travelled.

When President Bush says "Some of the violence you see in Iraq is being carried out by ruthless killers who are converging on Iraq to fight the advance of peace and freedom", he seems not to see the contradiction in his words. When he says "They fight because they know that the survival of their hateful ideology is at stake" he forgets who is the foreigner with the ideology. Perhaps nobody told him that he invaded a secular republic?
minks

Post by minks »

spot wrote: You know that, and I know that, but I've never met an American who thought he was a foreigner, however far he travelled.

When President Bush says "Some of the violence you see in Iraq is being carried out by ruthless killers who are converging on Iraq to fight the advance of peace and freedom", he seems not to see the contradiction in his words. When he says "They fight because they know that the survival of their hateful ideology is at stake" he forgets who is the foreigner with the ideology. Perhaps nobody told him that he invaded a secular republic?

careful cause I come from the "americas" hehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “The Library”