Catcher in the Rye

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Uncle Kram

Catcher in the Rye

Post by Uncle Kram »

Mark Chapman thoroughly recommends it

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
weeder

Catcher in the Rye

Post by weeder »

ArnoldLayne wrote: It has to be said that I am very badly read. I havent read many books in my life, I dont know why, laziness maybe.

A while a go, while watching TV, it was suggested that one of the best books ever written and usually at the top of everyones top ten, was "Catcher in the Rye". Its not a big book so I told myself to give it a try.

Am I being controversial when I say it did very lttle for me at all ?

What did i miss ?

I, just finished the book and thought " Yeah ! OK so what ?"

Only today I heard a woman on the radio say it was a book she reads again and again.

So come on people, guide me through the literary world and convince me I should try again !
Arnold... Catcher in the Rye, is one of my all time favorite books. I probably read it for the first time about 40 years ago. At the height of its popularity.. it was considered very insightful and unique. The authors style of writing was simple, and yet like nothing that had been written before. Holden Caufield is a character that authors sneakily attempted to re create over and over again. It is an excellent book to use to get young people hooked on reading. I love Holden Caufield. His view of the world is probably very similar to the way many young people feel today. He was innocent and hurt. He felt things deeply. He was confused and misguided. Today.. he would be doing crystal meth. Back then , he had a nervous break down. I am a lot like Holden Caufield. I would love to be able to have a nervous break down.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
weeder

Catcher in the Rye

Post by weeder »

For crying out loud..... come on man!!!!! He didnt have the heart to have sex with sunny the prostitute. Because she made him feel sad. He thought that getting drunk was manly. The girl friend.... the snob.. wanted her like crazy than realized what a pompus ass she was. The story is feelings EXPOSED. The way he loved his sister Phoebe. His feelings about his dead brother. The base ball mitt.......
susie

Catcher in the Rye

Post by susie »

Hi

I did not like reading when I was a child and I still do not like reading

My best friend would read the school books and then tell me about the story so I could then write my essay on the book!

She tricked me once and told me a completely different story, the teacher wanted to know how come I wrote my story which was nothing like the book
weeder

Catcher in the Rye

Post by weeder »

Then Susie..... read Catcher in THe Rye.
sunny104

Catcher in the Rye

Post by sunny104 »

weeder wrote: For crying out loud..... come on man!!!!! He didnt have the heart to have sex with sunny the prostitute. Because she made him feel sad. He thought that getting drunk was manly. The girl friend.... the snob.. wanted her like crazy than realized what a pompus ass she was. The story is feelings EXPOSED. The way he loved his sister Phoebe. His feelings about his dead brother. The base ball mitt.......

sunny the prostitute???????:eek:

I've never read it either, I should, I love reading!!:)
chonsigirl

Catcher in the Rye

Post by chonsigirl »

Lots of good books out there, you have to be into the story to enjoy this book. I never could, so it's not on my list of favorites. But it is considered a standard read in many schools today.

*not in my class though*
susie

Catcher in the Rye

Post by susie »

weeder wrote: Then Susie..... read Catcher in THe Rye.

Hi

Can you call me with the story after you have read it?

Then I can write a review here? he he

Regards Sue

www.expatsvoice.org
chonsigirl

Catcher in the Rye

Post by chonsigirl »

*from one susie to another*

Why don't you write an introduction thread, so everyone can say hi?:)
susie

Catcher in the Rye

Post by susie »

chonsigirl wrote: *from one susie to another*

Why don't you write an introduction thread, so everyone can say hi?:)

Hi

Iam fairly new to this forum,

Should I put something here?

Regards From another susie to another , he he
Benjamin

Catcher in the Rye

Post by Benjamin »

I read Catcher In The Rye when I was about 20 or so. "Coming of age" stories about rich kids just don't do anything for me. Regular people are far more interesting.
gmc

Catcher in the Rye

Post by gmc »

I supopose the British equivalents would be Alan sillitoe-the loneliness of the long distance runner, saturday night sunday morning.
weeder

Catcher in the Rye

Post by weeder »

Benjamin wrote: I read Catcher In The Rye when I was about 20 or so. "Coming of age" stories about rich kids just don't do anything for me. Regular people are far more interesting.
Holden Caufield was an ordinary person Benjamin.... Well actually he was an out of the ordinary person because he felt things so deeply... that he suffered. It had nothing to do with his being rich. And he wasnt rich, His Dad was. Which gave him more pressure to live up to.

Yes Sunny...... the prostitute was Sunny:wah:

Return to “The Library”