Greed reaches undreamt of heights

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
spot

Post by spot »

This is just so delicious. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4754308.stm

"A claim that Dan Brown's bestselling novel The Da Vinci Code copied the ideas of two other authors has gone before London's High Court.

Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh say Mr Brown stole "the whole architecture" of research that went into their 1982 book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail."

Are these guys, who put their entire work over as Gospel truth, claiming now that it was their own original fiction in order to cash in further by taking some of Dan Brown's fortune? Other than the "factual" content, there's nothing to link the works at all. They're now using the term "historical conjecture" for what they did! I'm so going to enjoy seeing how this pans out, whichever way it goes.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That sounds like an interesting case. Wow, anyone want to make a movie out of my writings, so I can sue you later in court? What a silly idea!

I would be interested in updates on this please, Spot.
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeControl wrote: Theft of intellectual property. That might be a little difficult to prove since its so intangible.:rolleyes:Well, there's no plagiarism involved - none of Dan Brown's sentences are copied from anywhere verbatim. That leaves the ideas to be discussed.

Originality: A work is original in the copyright sense if it owes its origin to the author and was not copied from some preexisting work.To draw a parallel, if Dan Brown had set a novel during the Holocaust and used Martin Gilbert's huge history book of the subject as his factual base, that's legitimate research. But if he'd written a novel about Ron, Hermione and Harry at Hogwarts, however original his plot might have been, he'd be taken to the cleaners and left a pauper. So, did the setting originate in the mind of the claimant?

Did Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh base The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail on existing ideas, or not? If they did follow a documented trail, as they claimed at the time, then the idea of the Jesus bloodline is historical and not their own invention, and Dan Brown used their book as part of his research into the history he based The Da Vinci Code on. If they now say the whole thing was all dreamed up and merely dressed as factual, we can expect to see all the new-age experts creep out of the woodwork to testify that the history goes back millenia and they and their predecessors have been describing The Truth all these years. It'll be a circus.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Wow next person to be sued will be the college student using certain books for his research for his thesis.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

The theory that Jesus was married to Mary is not a fictional idea but one that has and still is being debated. I have heard/read (other than in fiction) that there is supposed to be documentary evidence. I know nothing more than that at this point in time.

I think that if Baigent and Leigh were to win this case, then they would be proving that their book was a work of fiction. This could even cause ripples in the academic and religious communities.
Jcas

Post by Jcas »

I too will be watching and awaiting the outcome of this.....Dan Brown is so good, i doubt he would have to resort to this....:-6

Return to “The Library”